XJ XJ8 / XJR ( X308 ) 1997 - 2003

Do random people attempt to race you in your X308 at stop lights or the highway?

Search this Thread

Old 12-18-2012, 11:26 PM
Received 110 Likes on 83 Posts

The only cars that have tried to challenge the XJR out
of nowhere are a modified G35 Cpe (headers at the very
least), and a Toyota Tundra driven by Earl and Billy-Bob.

I don't see why our forum is so averse to the modern Jags.
If you got one as a loaner, you would probably change
your minds! The interiors are lovely, more modern, more
knurled aluminium, a-la Series I XJ6. Like Ian Callum says,
Jaguars in their heyday were cutting edge and great value,
and whilst this current iteration of the Jaguar breed may not
be judged as "timeless", it is fair to say that the Ford era
were willingly outdated for the purposes of "preservation"
rather than "advancement."

I will say though that in terms of design, Jaguars have been
genericised and I prefer the Lawson XJs and XK. I prefer
a blend of stiff-upper-lip traditionalism (new 911 style, same as
the old but still excellent and desireable) and perhaps keep
a stalwart in the range (Bertone B99) to remind you where they
came from.

Geoff Lawson was onto something. Where Ian Callum has taken
the range to a homogenous, modern approach, with a brand
identity relying on similarity between current models, Lawson
ensured that his cars were immediately identifyable as Jaguars.
The homogeneity of modern cars is amazing to say the least.

Mercedes-Benz has tried to make a departure from the taxicabs,
but somehow the shoddy quality didn't stick in US markets...
people still seem to think they are good.

The new styling team is full of Asian designers, and the cars look
like an Asian design with a vulgar grille and a 3-pointed star at
every corner.

the CLS used to look nice, but the current model is bloody awful.

Old 12-19-2012, 03:58 AM
Received 40 Likes on 35 Posts

Originally Posted by Fishfoolbear
The only person ever tried with me was an AMG G55, and I wanted to stay behind to hear the V8 rumble. Tasty.
Also I like that Sandy refers to it as a Daimler S500 (say Dime-ler).
I've been trying to convince people that cars with stars on the front are properly referred to as Daimlers for years.
Don't want to play the smartass, but I'm sorry Fishfoolbear, only the company is referred to as Daimler. The cars are branded "Mercedes", or "Mercedes-Benz".

http://de.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mercedes (German article)

Mercedes-Benz - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia (English article)

Last edited by Highway Star; 12-19-2012 at 04:05 AM.
Old 12-19-2012, 05:47 AM
Received 24 Likes on 17 Posts

Originally Posted by Highway Star
Don't want to play the smartass, but I'm sorry Fishfoolbear, only the company is referred to as Daimler. The cars are branded "Mercedes", or "Mercedes-Benz".

http://de.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mercedes (German article)

Mercedes-Benz - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia (English article)
Hi Ralf,

you're 100% correct!
However when I lived in Stuttgart most people I talked to referred to the cars as "Daimler", Sandy calling it a Daimler S500 reminded me of that and the good times I had down in Stuttgart.
I guess it's more of a Stuttgart thing, don't know anywhere else where they do that.

Cheers

Lincoln

Old 12-19-2012, 09:23 AM

OK, so there's obviously a North-South difference regarding the appellation of the cars with the star.

In my region, that's in and around Cologne, people talk about " 'nen dicken Mercedes" (a fat Mercedes) when it comes to the likes of a S500

The following users liked this post:
Fishfoolbear (12-19-2012)
Old 12-20-2012, 12:11 AM
Received 18 Likes on 15 Posts

People are more willing to let me change lanes before them than in my BMW days.
Absolutely. I borrowed my father's 7 series a while back and it was a while before I realised why all the other traffic was acting like a bunch of jerks. I'd just got used to politeness in the Jag.

Originally Posted by Red October
not many realise that the 'old man's' car can charge to 100mph from a standing start in around 13 seconds.
With years of the pipe-and-slippers image, even many "car people" have forgotten that Jaguar basically invented the modern sports saloon, and have made their bread and butter off variations on the theme ever since. Big engined Jags have been seriously quick motors for decades. Bill Lyons was jamming race-bred sportscar engines in midsized saloons when BMW was still making bubble cars.

Old 12-20-2012, 01:42 AM
Received 90 Likes on 76 Posts

Went head to head (actually side to side) with late model LS460. He tried to get over in front of me, but I just went casually about business at 85 mph on the street. Thankfully no pedestrians. Think he realized what the R stands for. Maybe he had it confused for "h" that was on his car

Old 12-20-2012, 02:34 AM

Now the Lexus driver knows that the R does not stand for "Restricted"

Old 12-20-2012, 02:52 PM
Received 120 Likes on 69 Posts

Now the Lexus driver knows that the R does not stand for "Restricted"
Nope, it's:

Roar
Rush
Race
Rage
Romp
vRoom
Really Expensive Ticket

Last edited by SuperSport; 12-20-2012 at 02:58 PM.
Old 12-20-2012, 08:47 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,064 Likes on 867 Posts

"Replaced with a 2003 Land Rover Discovery II 4.6L"
So, SuperSport, you lost your mind too! What were we thinking? My Discovery is a bucket of bolts! At least i still have my Jaguar.

Old 12-20-2012, 09:06 PM
Received 18 Likes on 14 Posts

Last time i compared my XJR against a C55 and a E46 M3 Coupe from 50-250.
C55 first cats deleted rest stock, from 50-90 short jump for the AMG and from 90-210 the C was with his star exactly at the middle of my car, from 210-250 he pulled away 2 car length...

Ps: if you want to have a realy fast AMG for the Autobahn take the V12!
M3 complete stock, constant pulled away from 50-250 2 or 3 cars

But in my opinion the most important thing is to keep you intercoolers cool, if they get to much heat you will lose...

Last edited by Maxville; 12-20-2012 at 09:09 PM.
Old 12-20-2012, 09:22 PM

Originally Posted by sparkenzap
"Replaced with a 2003 Land Rover Discovery II 4.6L"
So, SuperSport, you lost your mind too! What were we thinking? My Discovery is a bucket of bolts! At least i still have my Jaguar.
I know, I went right back to a British Car again.

But, I have to say, the Disco is actually cleaner than the Jag was. It's been babied well. I've got some of the comforts of the Jag, but without the smooth ride and Rocket-Like takeoff. Ride isn't that bad really, you just feel the bumps a little more. The best part? I took it to the snow and it was like a snow plow. NO CHAINS!!! Yea! I've missed having a 4x4, and a Tow Hitch.

Here she is:

Attached Thumbnails Do random people attempt to race you in your X308 at stop lights or the highway?-119a44f21f_640.jpg  
Old 12-21-2012, 12:22 AM
Received 69 Likes on 57 Posts

It happens all the time, a BMW or Audi is pushing in my back , flashing the headlights; the S button in and pedal to the metal, leave them half mile away in seconds. Last victims, one X6 and 5 series,racing together, quit the race at 120 mph and pulled over on the slow band.

PS: for the Discovery, I recommend a UK forum where I am also member as I have a Discovery 2 (diesel) for the last 5 years. The D2 Boys Club. - Index page

Old 12-21-2012, 01:13 AM
Veteran Member
Received 2,184 Likes on 1,624 Posts

Originally Posted by SuperSport
I know, I went right back to a British Car again.

But, I have to say, the Disco is actually cleaner than the Jag was. It's been babied well. I've got some of the comforts of the Jag, but without the smooth ride and Rocket-Like takeoff. Ride isn't that bad really, you just feel the bumps a little more. The best part? I took it to the snow and it was like a snow plow. NO CHAINS!!! Yea! I've missed having a 4x4, and a Tow Hitch.

Here she is:
It's always nice to have a vehicle that doesn't feel like it needs to be handled with kid gloves. And you can crawl under it without a jack!

Old 12-21-2012, 06:56 AM
Veteran Member
Received 203 Likes on 148 Posts

I've been looking for a good, used Land Rover (Range Rover is the model I want) -- hope to stumble into one soon!

Had two Beemers on either side of me yesterday morning, inching forward as we sat at the light, looking like they were going to rocket off as soon as the light turned green -- zoom, I smoked 'em both and didn't even hit the 1/2 way point on the accelerator pedal! Guess this race was in my head! LOL

Old 12-21-2012, 07:23 AM
Veteran Member
Received 2,184 Likes on 1,624 Posts

Then again, the BMW drivers got to call theirs a draw since neither one won

Old 12-21-2012, 08:41 AM
Veteran Member
Received 10,936 Likes on 7,185 Posts

Originally Posted by Distraxi
With years of the pipe-and-slippers image, even many "car people" have forgotten that Jaguar basically invented the modern sports saloon, and have made their bread and butter off variations on the theme ever since. Big engined Jags have been seriously quick motors for decades. Bill Lyons was jamming race-bred sportscar engines in midsized saloons when BMW was still making bubble cars.

IMHO.....

Jaguar itself forgot for many years. For far too long a true "performance" model was not offered.

And when the XJRs and XKRs *were* finally introduced they were seriously under-promoted.

For years and years Jaguar advertsing (at least in the USA) was nothing but the "beauty, elegance, and grace" stuff.....as though any reference to Jaguar's own high performance legacy (much less the thought of building an actual performance car) was simply too undignified and boorish.

Cheers
DD

Old 12-21-2012, 08:57 AM
Received 104 Likes on 79 Posts

I'm not sure if it was them racing me as much as me trying to race them, but these two people on harleys (motorcycles) kept getting caught with me at every red light, they would speed off very loudly and I hate the loud ruckus of motorcycles, so I let them have it at one light, they were quite surprised

Old 12-21-2012, 09:20 AM

Originally Posted by flay
PS: for the Discovery, I recommend a UK forum where I am also member as I have a Discovery 2 (diesel) for the last 5 years. The D2 Boys Club. - Index page
Thank you for this. I'm currently with LandRoverForums.com and have learned a LOT in the short while I've had it. I'll check out the D2 Boys Club today.
Originally Posted by plums
It's always nice to have a vehicle that doesn't feel like it needs to be handled with kid gloves. And you can crawl under it without a jack!
I agree, but I'll still handle it the same. I really like to keep my cars as clean as possible. Health issues have prevented my normal ADHD behavior where I hand waxed it every Friday, but I still try to keep it clean for resale. EVERYTHING is for sale at some point. Although, I WILL be taking this one off road occasionally, unlike the Jag. +1 on No Jack. Inspected Drivelines, Bolted on Hitch and Wiring, and looked for leaks, all without a jack.

Old 12-25-2012, 06:33 PM
Received 51 Likes on 42 Posts

Originally Posted by JimmyL
I have surprised a few folks with the growl. Even the VDP will put out some beautiful music when opened up and cranking over 6K RPM !
+1

My friend with a E46 M3 and I were revving our engines in a parking garage, and we were both surprised with the noise the Jag V8 can make at high revs. It actually gets surprisingly loud and sounds very good.

Old 12-25-2012, 06:45 PM
Received 51 Likes on 42 Posts

Back in 2004, I raced a new at the time Merc E55 driven by some young dude on a super twisty road. My driving skills allowed me to somewhat keep up, but the E55 was ultimately able to pull away, and I'm sure he was much more relaxed during the race. The body lean of the VDP can make one a bit nervous.

I once raced a XJ6 Series III driven by some kid back in '04. My trans didn't even need to downshift to pull away from that car.

I've also raced a mustang GT convertible on the highway, once again, driven by a young guy, and we were neck and neck up to about 125mph until I decided enough is enough.

I raced a random older woman in an Acura TL who beat me with a better start off the line. I did not expect her to race until we were already moving. That race was easily the most unexpected!

Actually about 90% of the races I've done were initiated by the other driver. About 85% of those races from these random drivers occurred when my car was relatively new. Now my car is 'invisible' to those who race at stop lights.

Quick Reply: Do random people attempt to race you in your X308 at stop lights or the highway?