XJ XJ8 / XJR ( X308 ) 1997 - 2003

Do random people attempt to race you in your X308 at stop lights or the highway?

Search this Thread

Old 01-25-2014, 03:47 PM
Received 37 Likes on 29 Posts

Wing adds at least 80bhp!!

Old 01-29-2014, 02:44 PM
Received 16 Likes on 4 Posts

most people have no clue what these car are capable of...

Old 01-29-2014, 10:23 PM
Received 33 Likes on 31 Posts

Funny - yes I get quite often some "tail-kissing" pickup trucks thinking that a slow motion folk is at the wheel of this "ancestor" car. By no means I'm I in for playing into their game both for the sake of racing or put safety at risk, but I have found myself pressing the "S" button on the gearshift and a little bit on the pedal and have them struggle to keep up ;-) Bring 'em on!

Cheers

Old 01-29-2014, 11:56 PM
Veteran Member
Received 365 Likes on 262 Posts

I don't see many challenges on my XJR, except for some Audi's, not necessarily dragging but like gaining position in my lane ahead of me, like trying to say he's faster. And this is often enough and it leads me to believe that Audi owners, unlike Merc, BMW, Porsche, Vette's, etc. have a chip on their shoulder, as in a need for equal recognition as the "real thing" brands listed above.

Now, my fun is with my XJS. The factory rated 7.8 sec. zero to sixty changed to a pretty quick car after the mods, including nitrous... These ricers must know that an XJS is a slow, old men's car they can have for lunch daily, so the poor unlucky *******s of whom I can only see their hair (sticking straight up) through the window, never know what hit them... (5.2sec 0 to 60). Too bad they can't see me from the bottom of their seat because they could at least guess that someting is not normal when I purposely raise my left arm to flip the switch on the A-pillar while staring at them with a "you're getting what you're asking for" smirk... It is sooo sweet...

Old 01-31-2014, 12:35 AM
Received 25 Likes on 17 Posts
Default Some get too close on the highway

Driving the last of the 'big Cats" ( 2003 XJR steel) is always an experience.
I love to just cruise in the center lane in the 70s.
Invariably a Lexus , BMW or Merc will creep up alongside to have a look see.
That's OK
Last summer I had a young turk tailgating me in a Lexus which for anyone in any kind of a car is always annoying, I glanced at my slumbering wife as we were returning from a long trip from Cape Cod and said "heads up... we've got a little jerk on our rear end that I'm going to be rid of".

I stepped on the pedal and the supercharger began to whine like a banshee as the "Cat "accelerated to a breathtaking speed. My wife was a little frightened and said she never realized what "her" 5000 lb British luxury sedan was capable of... scared her actually.

I glanced in the mirror to see the little obnoxious gerbil in the Lexus vanish like flatulence in a hurricane.
I can only say that when called upon ,the XJR is a shockingly fast "old man's saloon"......Perhaps, "blisteringly fast" would be a better description.

Young muscle car gerbils beware of the "big cat" ! What a car !!

Old 01-31-2014, 09:42 AM
Received 16 Likes on 4 Posts

i had only ridden in an old xj6 in high school and was not impressed with the speed.
when i bought the xj8 for the wife three years ago, i was very impressed...

i drove the car back from cleveland to morehead (14 hour drive).

I was coming through I40 in raleigh at 3am when this black kid in an old crappy nissan sentra with mismatching body panels and beat to crap pulls beside me. mind you that there were (i think) 6 lanes on our side (where 440 and 40 split).. .he gets right beside me and kept looking over with his baseball cap on crooked, flashing his gold teeth......
he was gassing and letting off.... so i juiced it..... left that poor sap like warp speed and held it to over 130.. i was impressed.

I drive a porsche, and have had very few cars under 300hp, so i am not easy to impress...

these cars are a great balance of comfort and sport