XJ XJ8 / XJR ( X308 ) 1997 - 2003

Do these costs seem in line?

Search this Thread

Old 03-12-2011, 10:16 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,064 Likes on 867 Posts

yeldogt-
A ziz wheel or dremel tool will cut it. Bolt cutters (Big ones!) would not require rags and such to catch filings.
But back to the question from SirJag, the retail parts price is generally charged by a repair business, dealer or indendent and is a valid charge to cover their time and handling for a part. A good independent with Jaguar disgnostic equipment and real Jag experience is going to be cgarging well over $50.00. The prices quoted are not for local available , deliverd parts, which are what a service business needs to buy.

Old 03-13-2011, 07:57 AM
Received 43 Likes on 24 Posts

Originally Posted by yeldogt
bluerdg - did you use the chains with the removable link.

I understand these have been used for years -- but not sure how you get the old chain off?
No, I did a full timing component rebuild. Locked down crankshaft and both sets of cams. The only thing holding my passenger side secondary tensioner together was the tension on the chain - Top shoe was separated from body, body split right down the middle, bottom shoe gone (chain had cut grooves in metal base plate). I had all the components out so I could do a thorough clean up, in my case getting the chains on was the easy part. I included a link in an earlier post in this thread. I noticed they have a kit packaged as a secondary repair only (master linked chain). I read a post researching my job where someone was doing this kind of repair. It was basically the Zip Tie method to change the tensioner, and then you had to Zip Tie your new chain to the old and rotate the cams to pull the new chain into position. Didn't make sense to me as you'd have to do this with old chain in place to keep cams aligned, and IMO the issue is getting the new chain on the teeth under the sprockets. I don't recall a mention on how they removed the old chain. I've talked to the guys at Christopher's (link) they could probably give you some insight.