XJ XJ8 / XJR ( X308 ) 1997 - 2003

Does my ideal XJR even exist??

Search this Thread

Old 05-14-2016 | 05:27 PM
|
Default Does my ideal XJR even exist??

So.. For a few months now I have been searching for an XJR. Initially, I was going to be content with an '01 or '02. However, after looking around, and lurking here on the forum, I decided that I need an '03.

But as of yet, I have not seen what I consider to be my "perfect" '03.. BRG paint, tan (oatmeal) interior, and the R1 brake package. Less than 100,000 miles preferred. Has anyone ever seen a racing green XJR with the Brembo brake setup?

In all my time searching, I have only ever seen 1 '03 with the BRG paint, but it had standard brakes. The cars that I've seen with the Brembos were always silver or anthracite. Am I looking for sasquatch here, or the Loch Ness monster?

I am certainly content with a car with a titanium or anthracite paint color, but BRG is my favorite

Last edited by Johnny_B; 05-14-2016 at 05:31 PM.
Old 05-14-2016 | 05:55 PM
Veteran Member

My quest was for a decent 01 to 03 XJR under 100k miles in anything but white. I was patient and out of no where scored an XJR-100 with 45k on it. Be patient and vigilant, it'll happen.

The following users liked this post:
Johnny_B (05-14-2016)
Old 05-14-2016 | 06:03 PM

Tbh, you are being a touch picky...silver and black are the most common colors, by far. You've got shot at a low !mileage 03 with R1, but even then I don't think that package was very common.

Old 05-14-2016 | 06:04 PM

I would be happy with everything you want, minus the brakes...the stock ones really do just fine.

Old 05-14-2016 | 06:25 PM
Veteran Member

Thay are out there ! This is one I work on time to time it's also one of 3in this speck around here that I know of , one being a converable !

03 ,BRG ,brembos , 75k miles , recaros !

Johnny_B (05-14-2016)
Old 05-14-2016 | 06:35 PM
Veteran Member

I watched an epersode of wheeler dealer , they tidied up a xk convertable to give away ,
Any way thay fitted the brembo package to the car with minor adjustments to the backing plate , so if your wheels can house them then it can be done !
So that may help narrow your search !

Johnny_B (05-14-2016)
Old 05-14-2016 | 06:39 PM
|

Originally Posted by JTsmks
My quest was for a decent 01 to 03 XJR under 100k miles in anything but white. I was patient and out of no where scored an XJR-100 with 45k on it. Be patient and vigilant, it'll happen.
Yeah there is an XJR100 about 40 miles from me, with a little over 100,000 on the clock. I really like the look of those, but they are asking almost $15k for it.. I'm looking for something closer to $8k. Plus, being an '02, doesn't that mean it has the older style of timing chain components? I'm not sure if any maintenance records come with that particular car.

There are 5 Brembo-equipped 2003's currently available that I am keeping my eye on (there were also 2 more, but they sold recently.) One is silver, with a price tag of $6k. However, it has 147,000 miles. The other is anthracite with a little more than 100,000, but he's asking $10,500 for it. There's another anthracite one for $6k in VA with 118k miles, but the dealer has an absolutely terrible reputation, and the car has been messed with (aftermarket stereo, front seats reupholstered in the wrong color.) Who knows what else is going on with that one.. There is another anthracite car that's only been listed for a short time. It's in Florida with less than 60k on the clock.. Oatmeal interior that I like. But they want $13k for it, and I doubt they would come down in price enough for me to buy it. The last one that I saw is in California. It's anthracite with a black interior. Not my favorite, but the price is good at $8k. Has a little less than 80,000 miles. It has some questionable 20" wheels on it (they would be swapped out,) and a tint job that I would need to remove, but overall seems to be in good shape. They are sending me the Carfax when they get a chance, but maybe there's a forum member nearby that I could persuade to take a look at it in person

I do get what you're saying though.. I just don't want to wait too long! Everyday I check 5 car/auction sites, hoping to find the right car for me. I'm sure it will all work out in the end. But any and all help is appreciated.. If someone happens to see a Brembo-equipped '03 listed on their local Craigslist, please let me know

Old 05-14-2016 | 06:41 PM
|

Originally Posted by Datsports
Thay are out there ! This is one I work on time to time it's also one of 3in this speck around here that I know of , one being a converable !

03 ,BRG ,brembos , 75k miles , recaros !
I appreciate the picture That's not an XJR though..

Old 05-14-2016 | 06:47 PM
|

Originally Posted by Datsports
I watched an epersode of wheeler dealer , they tidied up a xk convertable to give away ,
Any way thay fitted the brembo package to the car with minor adjustments to the backing plate , so if your wheels can house them then it can be done !
So that may help narrow your search !
Yeah I know that the Brembos will fit any 98-03 XJR, as long as you get all of the necessary parts. They will even work with the stock 7-spoke asteroid wheels, if you get suitable spacers. However, complete Brembo brake kits are hard to come by. I know a member here was trying to sell one for a time, but he has since decided to install the parts on his own car.

Old 05-14-2016 | 06:47 PM
Veteran Member

Yep, I can't speak to the particular year, color and brake combo, but I can say that if you just keep looking you'll likely find something close in short order.

These cars aren't terribly rare, and they often tend to be originally owned by people that take them to dealers for service and don't pile a lot of miles on. So just be patient.

One thought is that you might open your mind to different color combinations or consider getting a car without the brake option. I suspect you could add the brake option later from a salvage car.

I had also heard that brake jobs (pads, rotors) for the R1 system are very expensive. If so, that might be something to think about from a cost of ownership perspective.

Johnny_B (05-14-2016)
Old 05-14-2016 | 06:53 PM
|

Originally Posted by al_roethlisberger
Yep, I can't speak to the particular year, color and brake combo, but I can say that if you just keep looking you'll likely find something close in short order.

These cars aren't terribly rare, and they often tend to be originally owned by people that take them to dealers for service and don't pile a lot of miles on. So just be patient.

One thought is that you might open your mind to different color combinations or consider getting a car without the brake option. I suspect you could add the brake option later from a salvage car.

I had also heard that brake jobs (pads, rotors) for the R1 system are very expensive. If so, that might be something to think about from a cost of ownership perspective.

Yeah I had considered the extra cost of the Brembos in terms of maintenance. I know Autozone carries rotors for about $100 each. Normally I wouldn't use their parts, but after some searching it sounds like the expensive factory rotors don't really last very long. If that is the case, I might as well save myself some money and just buy the cheaper ones. I could replace them 2 or 3 times for the same cost as one factory set.

And brake jobs will be pretty spread out in my case.. I don't put a lot of mileage on my cars. I only live 3 miles from where I work

Old 05-14-2016 | 07:42 PM

Yes, there is a black one that would be perfect for you.....

But it is sitting in MY garage.
Vector

Old 05-14-2016 | 08:07 PM
|

Originally Posted by Vector
Yes, there is a black one that would be perfect for you.....

But it is sitting in MY garage.
Vector
Ha.. Lucky you I promise I won't steal it

Old 05-14-2016 | 09:06 PM
luc

Originally Posted by Johnny_B
Yeah I had considered the extra cost of the Brembos in terms of maintenance. I know Autozone carries rotors for about $100 each. Normally I wouldn't use their parts, but after some searching it sounds like the expensive factory rotors don't really last very long. If that is the case, I might as well save myself some money and just buy the cheaper ones. I could replace them 2 or 3 times for the same cost as one factory set.

And brake jobs will be pretty spread out in my case.. I don't put a lot of mileage on my cars. I only live 3 miles from where I work
I really doubt that autozone will have rotors for the R1 option.
Went on their web site and while the picture and size seems right, they do not list an R1/brembo option and on top of that they say that it fit also 6 cylinders XJR (97)
that say quite a few places have the eurospare brand and they are always priced/sold in pair

I have an 01 XJR that i bought new, R1, Milan wheels,Nav, black on black, full Autolux leather interior courtesy of Ford and less than 40K miles but since the car is like brand new, seriously. I would ask at least $25/30K for it.
So, at $8K, with R1, you are really looking at the low quality/high mileage cars

Last edited by luc; 05-14-2016 at 09:35 PM.
Old 05-14-2016 | 10:15 PM
|

Originally Posted by luc
I really doubt that autozone will have rotors for the R1 option.
Went on their web site and while the picture and size seems right, they do not list an R1/brembo option and on top of that they say that it fit also 6 cylinders XJR (97)
that say quite a few places have the eurospare brand and they are always priced/sold in pair

I have an 01 XJR that i bought new, R1, Milan wheels,Nav, black on black, full Autolux leather interior courtesy of Ford and less than 40K miles but since the car is like brand new, seriously. I would ask at least $25/30K for it.
So, at $8K, with R1, you are really looking at the low quality/high mileage cars
To my knowledge, the standard non-Brembo cars had smaller rotors.. I want to say 325mm? These show the correct diameter of 355mm and width of 32mm. Plus they are cross-drilled.

Disc Brake Rotor Front Duralast by Autozone 70015 Fits 97 03 Jaguar XJR | eBay

I did also see one mention of a member here using them on their car. Found it a while back.. Don't have the link. I would be more inclined to believe Autozone messed up the year fitment, instead of getting the rotor measurements wrong.

Like you said, there are also other companies that carry the rotors for a lower price than the factory Jag parts. So if the Autozone rotors turn out to be wrong, I could buy them from somewhere else.

Last edited by Johnny_B; 05-14-2016 at 10:23 PM.