XJ XJ8 / XJR ( X308 ) 1997 - 2003

Don't be an idiot (like me) Octapus coolant hose related

Search this Thread

Old 11-14-2011, 07:02 PM
Received 182 Likes on 103 Posts
Default Don't be an idiot (like me) Octapus coolant hose related

So the wife's 2002 VDP had a slow coolant leak for the last couple of months. Small puddle in the garage that would require a top of once a week. I kept blowing it off until because I couldn't see where it was coming from. So last night I put on the headlamp and started digging. It was coming from the upright nipple from the hose that runs under the manifold. Easy enough, just remove the plastic T fitting and get another one from Jag in the morning. Not so fast. I snapped the quick connect on the 'octopus' hose. Great. The guy at the dealership cautioned me about how difficult it is to change.....5 hours labor. Great. Throwing caution to the wind, I spent about 4 hours changing that evil hose. Filled with coolant and started the car. The dash lit up like a Christmas tree will faults and ran like he'll until it went into limp mode. "it's a fairly difficult procedure, not for the average home mechanic.."" kept ringing in my ears. So I hooked up my code reader and saw the faults were related to fuel air etc.... Cleared the codes and tried a restart. No good. Put the headlamp back on and felt around the throttle body.....2 connectors just hanging......I am an idiot! Cleared the codes just to be sure and she fired up no problem. Burped the coolant system with the heater on high and went for a drive. No faults, temp normal, heater hot etc. Called the wife to tell her how much $$$ I saved her.........."that's nice dear. Did you clean up your mess?".

One day I'll tackle the intermittent fuel gauge reading '0' problem....on second thought I'll tell her to take it the dealer.

Old 11-14-2011, 07:15 PM
Veteran Member
Received 10,887 Likes on 7,157 Posts

Originally Posted by lear60man
I Put the headlamp back on and felt around the throttle body.....2 connectors just hanging......I am an idiot! .

Heh heh. We've all been there :-)

With 3 Jags over umpteen years the ONLY time I've been on the back of a flat-bed hauler is when I left a connector loose!

Cheers
DD