XJ XJ8 / XJR ( X308 ) 1997 - 2003

door cable fix?

Search this Thread

Old 11-21-2016, 06:26 AM
Received 43 Likes on 40 Posts
Default door cable fix?

There's a few things that I've found a little disappointing about my 99 XJR. Creaky, brittle plastic bits sprinkled around the interior are mostly a minor annoyance but the door release cables are maddening and completely inappropriate for this level of car (IMHO). When the jag showed up in my driveway from Texas the original cable (charitable assumption on my part) was actually completely missing (sheath was still there). I had a laundry list of things to take care of and was amazed how much these parts go for new. Fortunately I found a used version of the part from a yard down in Alabama and with a few other creative parts sourcing activities was able to get my cat on the road without breaking the bank.
Fast forward to 11/20 and the replacement cable decided to give up the ghost as I was shoveling snow and shuffling cars for the start of the work week. I don't want to replace the part with another used cable but I really don't want to throw $100 at a new one either as I think the part is woefully under designed.
I haven't taken the door panel off to see what the trouble actually is so I'm not sure if the weak link is the cable or the attachment points. Has anyone had any luck repairing this assembly?

Old 11-21-2016, 08:37 AM
Received 66 Likes on 46 Posts

Just do a search on your title "Door Cable Fix".
There are LOTS of posts with drawings that relate to this exact same problem.

Old 11-21-2016, 12:02 PM
Received 43 Likes on 40 Posts

still looking at results of the suggested "door cable fix" search but one thing that caught my eye so far is that someone who'd replaced two cables started lubing the latch mechanism and hasn't had door cable issues since. Is this as simple as spraying lithium grease or a thin oil into the accessible portion of the latch that's visible with the door open or do you need to get the door panel off to lube things up? What works for yuse guys?