XJ XJ8 / XJR ( X308 ) 1997 - 2003

Door check arm / door stay bolt query

Search this Thread

Old Yesterday | 04:34 PM
|
Default Door check arm / door stay bolt query

Hi there.
I am attempting to remove the passenger door of my 2000 XJ8 X308 to replace with a new door. Today I started but have had trouble with the plate bolts on the body panel. One has stripped and will be very hard to remove.
If I can undo the bolt on the actual check arm/ door stay ( see picture on the new door ) I can leave the plate in place but I cannot seem to free the bolt. Does anyone have any solutions to this? Do I need a special tool?
It appears to be
a standard bolt with a nut on the top end and a flat screw head at the other end.
On both the doors I have the same problem. Any help gratefully received.

Best
OTTOMOSS

Old Yesterday | 04:45 PM
Veteran Member

While I have not yet had the need to remove that bolt, I would suggest the following:
As the bolt is screw-in from underneath, they would have made sure in the factory that it would not just simply unscrew itself and fall out...: Which means that bolt is glued in with loctite - probably the red loctite, which would explain, why you cannot remove it. The normal way to remove bolts, which were put into place with loctite, is to really heat up the bolt, before trying to unscrew it. Try applying a lot of heat with a heat-gun.

Old Today | 05:04 AM

Hi there.

I think the answer is much simpler. Although I didn't have remove these pins, I did have to remove the pin/bolts in the door anchor A pillar and I'd suggest that you try tapping the pin/bolt on the thread end with a small hammer . . it might just tap through . . the ones on the A pillar anchor did.

The head end of the pin/bolt has a "ribbed" pattern on the shank where it passes through the bracket arms, thus gripping the arm and holding it in place. I think the confusion is caused by the screwdriver type slot/groove thats on the head. I don't think its there with the intention of turning the head . . merely for some tool to hold its position whilst force is applied to allow the nut to be threaded?

Its a really clever design, especially in tight space areas . . . but its a bugger up if you don't know about it!!

Hope this helps

Old Today | 07:08 AM
|

Thanks very much. I will try this after I have applied a little heat as suggested by Peter. I will let everyone know if it's successful....or unsuccessful. These things are sent to challenge us.

Old Today | 07:33 AM
|

Update. I hit it with a hammer and it released. Now to swap the door over. Thanks for the help guys.

The following users liked this post:
Dude.Day (Today)
Old Today | 07:50 AM

Glad you sorted. I was just going to update . . it is the same pin/bolt I had to get out . . I'm my case I left the bracket mounted onto the A pillar. Also, sorry as I should have attached this pic to the earlier post. Clear as mud once you see the ribbed bit of the shaft.

The barrel of the pin/bolt showing the ribbed section (5mm?) that grips the inside face of the hole in underside arm. Clever . . but I wish they hadn't grooved/slotted the head as without that (I would suggest), you would automatically tap it to get it released.

Last edited by Dude.Day; Today at 07:58 AM.
Old Today | 08:06 AM
|

I agree that the flat head red herring is confusing. I am glad I was patient...hitting things with hammers can often work but also can end up badly .

Old Today | 11:20 AM
Veteran Member

yeah....i used to use bigger hammers when what i really
needed was more information.