XJ XJ8 / XJR ( X308 ) 1997 - 2003

Door handle, access

Search this Thread

Old 11-16-2015, 07:30 PM
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Door handle, access

Kinda attacking non-working exterior door handle (rear, 2000 VDP). So far got the panel off, and apparently broke the interior handle now. At least I can close the door again, don't ask.
Question is, how do I access the cable workings on the lock mechanism? They are on the back/outer side of the lock, can barely touch them much less manipulate. YouTube guy shows loosening the window track and swinging it out of the way. He was taking the whole mechanism out, but didn't cover the cable/actuator ends.
Other option is removing the exterior handle. Is there room to access thru the door handle opening? (Any new words to describe how to reach in with those 2 small nuts to re-attach it?)
Maybe a combination of the two?

Thanks,
Lowell

Old 11-16-2015, 07:49 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,064 Likes on 867 Posts

I cannot remember the process, but I do remember having skinned hands afterward! Good luck.

Old 11-16-2015, 11:28 PM
Received 48 Likes on 33 Posts

Originally Posted by LowellLamb
Kinda attacking non-working exterior door handle (rear, 2000 VDP). So far got the panel off, and apparently broke the interior handle now. At least I can close the door again, don't ask.
Question is, how do I access the cable workings on the lock mechanism? They are on the back/outer side of the lock, can barely touch them much less manipulate. YouTube guy shows loosening the window track and swinging it out of the way. He was taking the whole mechanism out, but didn't cover the cable/actuator ends.
Other option is removing the exterior handle. Is there room to access thru the door handle opening? (Any new words to describe how to reach in with those 2 small nuts to re-attach it?)
Maybe a combination of the two?

Thanks,
Lowell
You have no choice but to remove the latch/lock mechanism out. Unplug the electrical connection to the latch. Undo and remove the screw that holds the bottom window track, then push the track or remove the track itself. Remove the three stainless steel screws holding the latch in. Then pop the connector from outdoor handle off and remove the door lock button rod and pull out latch assembly.

See pic below:

Attached Files
File Type: pdf
IMG_7026.pdf (4.26 MB, 92 views)
Old 11-17-2015, 01:03 PM
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by XJR Pilot
You have no choice but to remove the latch/lock mechanism out. Unplug the electrical connection to the latch. Undo and remove the screw that holds the bottom window track, then push the track or remove the track itself. Remove the three stainless steel screws holding the latch in. Then pop the connector from outdoor handle off and remove the door lock button rod and pull out latch assembly.

See pic below:
Thanks. The more I thought about it, the less I wanted to mess with those tiny nuts holding the handle on. I already had the mechanism loose, but was loth to mess with the window track without some guidance. Will fiddle some more when it stops raining.

Old 11-17-2015, 10:14 PM
Received 48 Likes on 33 Posts

It's really not that bad. I've done it so many times and to all my doors I can almost do it in my sleep. That is because door latch mechanisms are the weak link on this car.

Old 11-19-2015, 01:06 PM
Received 33 Likes on 31 Posts

Agree with Sparkenzap and XJR pilot: Not all that bad, but skinned hands is something to be prepared for, not mentioned in any manual ;-) I've done this many times now (each time related to faulted / frozen lock actuator) and the first time around got to take everything apart (incl. door handle), which, eventually, was not needed to replace the actuator. Anyway, access to the small bolts that secures the metallic frame that holds the exterior handle in place (once the lock mechanism removed) is not impossible but involves some dexterity and no kids around for some of the cursing that will occur ;-) While you are at it, I strongly recommend you replace the rubber seal (not all that easy to find, though, as I recall). Something I did not do and regret as I will need to go back in there to get it done. They are pretty much 'dried out' at this time. Cheers

Old 11-20-2015, 05:55 PM
Received 122 Likes on 101 Posts

Welsh enterprises AND Coventry West sell handle gaskets and at least Welsh sells repair
cables for doors.
Welsh Enterprises, Inc - Jaguar XJ8 (98-03) Body Fittings Front Doors Parts - Left Door Handle Gasket

This cable is the common cause of a "broken" door handle. (handle not moving
the lock).
Welsh Enterprises - New Jaguar Parts, Used Jaguar Parts and Accessories - XK120 - XK140 - XK150 - E-Type - MK - XJ6 - XJ8 - XJ - XK8 - XK - XJS - S-Type - X-Type - XF

A video boroscope will make working in tight areas much more fun. They aren't very much compared to what they used to cost. I have used a few for under $100 and been happy with them.
Shopping