XJ XJ8 / XJR ( X308 ) 1997 - 2003

Door lock actuator question

Search this Thread

Old 05-01-2010, 11:37 AM
Received 37 Likes on 12 Posts
Default door lock actuator woes

I had a similar problem with mine not unlocking the driver door. Once in a while, 3 times to count, it unlocked. I did get an actuator out of a '98XJ8 that was an exact match to my '99R. So, it will fit. The door interiors are tight and miserable to work in. The only problem I had is that after installing the new(used) lock assembly I now had a new problem. The drivers window would not work, nor would the door key open and close the windows. And the sun roof opens but then immediately closes. So now the dilemma of how to adjust the keyed switch for proper alignment with the card in the latch assembly. At least now I don't have to climb over the center console.
One problem down, another headache to go. I'm sure a Jag tech will read this and laugh, oh well. Maybe we'll get lucky and he graciously tell us the easy(right!) way to do it. Anyone know how to adjust the drivers lock switch?

Old 05-02-2010, 10:10 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Instead of replacing the entire assembly, disassemble and relpace only the motor. That should keepeverything the same. Make sure to verify all of the wires are the same. If not, meter and iron time!

Old 05-02-2010, 10:27 PM
Received 37 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by zayne742
Instead of replacing the entire assembly, disassemble and relpace only the motor. That should keepeverything the same. Make sure to verify all of the wires are the same. If not, meter and iron time!
Sounds like a good idea, but in reality that's what I ended up doing in the end. After the first go-around replacing the whole assembly, I had the aforementioned problem. So, I thought I would 'get smart' and try replacing just the plunger. Well after taking apart the weather tight plug to undue the motor wires and sticking the new ones in, I installed the whole thing, only to have the same problem. Bummer. But I have to say, doing it the second time took only about a third of the time I originally spent. If only you could replace the actuator without taking half the door apart. What fun would there be in that? Anyone have an idea of how to adjust the key position sensor?

Old 04-22-2012, 12:21 PM
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default 1999 XJ8 VDP remote door lock/unlock

I am a new member and I have a similar problem. My remote will lock/unlock the 3 passenger doors, but will not activate the drivers door.
I currently use the key. Also the lock/unlock switch in the instrument panel will not work at all. I am hoping the problems are related, and if I resolve one problem the other will be resolved. (hopefully) I have only had my car 2 weeks, and want the car to be brought up to scratch, and then resolve all future problems as they happen.
I am initally prepared to put this into the dealership to be fixed. Hate having things not working properly. I am expecting to be a regular member of this forum, as I also am a very active member of the "Crossfire Forum" as I have a Crossfire SRT6, as a fun car. NOW have 2 beautiful cars, WELL 3 to be correct, as I also have a 2011 Camaro SS. All Fun cars.

Old 12-08-2012, 06:07 AM
Smile X300 model 1997

I have the same strange issue on my car. The lock does not inform about open - close of drivers door. I can open it by remote but lock it only by key. This includes that the car does not lock once you are driving and trying to lock by remote gives you the beep signal for "door open".
I thought that the microswitch gone, but my Janguar Dealer has doubts. Instead he is thinking fo the complete lock assembly which in Euros he offered for 380,- for the parts and 120,- for the job. All in all Euro 500,-. But before that he will have a deeper observation to it. As I am not a handy man I depend on his expertiece. By the way, my windows just do fine.
Any better ideas I can share with the dealer?

Old 07-21-2018, 08:32 PM
Default Temporary solution.

I have the same problem. Fob will lock all doors except drivers door. Can't lock manually. So I see some people say it will work once in a while. I have found a trick that works every time though I have no idea why.

get out of the car and lock using fob. Now unlock with fob and open driver's door. Open the inside handle ALL THE WAY, AS FAR AS IT WILL GO. Now close the door and try to lock with fob again. I have no idea why but for me it works every time. Even stranger is that you can't make this work without actually getting out of the car.

Old 04-08-2019, 12:34 PM
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Has anyone tried an aftermarket actuator instead of replacing with OEM or the entire mechanism?