XJ XJ8 / XJR ( X308 ) 1997 - 2003

door mirror problem

Search this Thread

Old 04-24-2010, 09:46 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default door mirror problem

1998 xj8 sovereign, the door mirrors have both just decided to aquire a mind of their own!
as soon as I unlock the car both mirrors adjust themselfs by turning fully to the left and down,this has only just started since I disconnected the battery briefly.
it means I have to re adjust them every time i get in the car.
any ideas?

Old 04-24-2010, 11:43 AM
Veteran Member
Received 1,112 Likes on 933 Posts

Did you reset the seat/steering wheel/mirror memory after disconnected the battery? The electronics have a hard time remembering without a constant supply of electrons.

Old 04-24-2010, 12:28 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by test point
Did you reset the seat/steering wheel/mirror memory after disconnected the battery? The electronics have a hard time remembering without a constant supply of electrons.
not so far as I know, nothing has been touched, ive disconected the battery before without problems,ie to recharge etc, its not a major problem, more of a pain in the a**! I only disconnected to clear codes (which was sorted out by cleaning the MAF) seat and steering wheel remain unaffected

Old 05-19-2010, 01:22 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default door mirror problem

Hi,

I have same problem with my jag xjr 1998.. what was the fix?? please help..

thanks

Old 05-19-2010, 08:56 AM
Received 22 Likes on 16 Posts

Set the mirrors and seat where you want them and then press the memory key 1,2, or 3 on the armrest until it beeps.
I had this problem also and instead of using set button 1, I used set button 2. When I used button 1 it would revert to the bad positions so don't use 1.

Whatever you do, don't press button 3 if your wife is with you because an 18 year old Thai girl appears in the back seat and starts combing your hair, if you have any. Caught me out a couple of times I can tell ya !

Old 05-19-2010, 10:36 AM
Received 120 Likes on 69 Posts

Originally Posted by Dinger
Whatever you do, don't press button 3 if your wife is with you because an 18 year old Thai girl appears in the back seat and starts combing your hair, if you have any. Caught me out a couple of times I can tell ya !
You are lucky! Here in the US, a Bong pops out of the center console. And I Don't Smoke Weed! It's tough trying to explain that to the officer that just pulled you over for excessive smoke. Although, from the Contact High he received, he was giggling so much he let me go. But not before confiscating all the munchies I had in my car first!

Old 02-09-2014, 01:43 PM
Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by ricasso
1998 xj8 sovereign, the door mirrors have both just decided to aquire a mind of their own!
as soon as I unlock the car both mirrors adjust themselfs by turning fully to the left and down,this has only just started since I disconnected the battery briefly.
any ideas?
I Have exactly the same problem since today, some people are lucky to fix with seat memory, someone even more lucky to get girls and bongs out of that situation) but what do I do coz I dont have seat memory at all(

Old 02-13-2014, 07:37 AM
Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

Little update on topic:
I have tried to fix the problem several ways:
1. I tried the big reset thing.
2. I tried reprogramming the fob.
Anyway the problem remains, mirrors adjust themselves in position that however doesnt look like a memory of someone, left mirror goes far left and far top, right mirror goes slighltly left and medium down. It only happens with fob opening, when I open car with the key mirrors stay as they are. I dont have any seat memory options.
any solutions? please help!

Old 02-06-2015, 01:48 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Talking

Originally Posted by ricasso
any ideas?
Hey! i have now got the exact same problem with my 99 xj8 soveriegn.done thr hard reset but still the same.prgrammed memory 1 to my specs but when i oppen the car with the fob,then the mirror motors drive them to left and down.
didnt get any bongs,wild girls just same old sh#t ....any more ideas??

Old 02-08-2015, 04:47 AM
Received 448 Likes on 333 Posts

Originally Posted by parwun
Little update on topic:
I have tried to fix the problem several ways:
1. I tried the big reset thing.
2. I tried reprogramming the fob.
Anyway the problem remains, mirrors adjust themselves in position that however doesnt look like a memory of someone, left mirror goes far left and far top, right mirror goes slighltly left and medium down. It only happens with fob opening, when I open car with the key mirrors stay as they are. I dont have any seat memory options.
any solutions? please help!
When delivered new, the cars where supplied with 2 fobs, one programmed to memory position 1 and the other programmed to position 2. The thinking here was that you got #1 and the wife or SO got #2 and the memory positions would revert to the programmed positions when you opened the car with the appropriate fob.

You may have fob #2 and it is reverting to the #2 memory positions even though you have #1 properly programmed in the car.

Try reprogramming all 3 memory positions on the armrest to the same setting and the fob will have no choice but to go to your desired positions for the mirrors.

If this doesn't work then call in the exorcist or witch doctor because your car is obviously possessed by demon(s.)

.........or hit memory setting 3 and enjoy the bong/girls, but don't exceed 88 mph and 1.21 gigawatts in this setting or you will end up back in 1973, lol.
Vector

Last edited by Vector; 02-08-2015 at 04:53 AM.
Old 02-08-2015, 08:11 AM
Received 161 Likes on 90 Posts

Originally Posted by Vector
.........or hit memory setting 3 and enjoy the bong/girls, but don't exceed 88 mph and 1.21 gigawatts in this setting or you will end up back in 1973, lol.
Vector
Oh no ..... not 1973!
Anything but '73!
I damn near didn't live through it the first time!