XJ XJ8 / XJR ( X308 ) 1997 - 2003

Door mirrors not working after conversion

Search this Thread

Old 06-29-2013, 03:10 AM
Received 69 Likes on 57 Posts
Default Door mirrors not working after conversion

As some of you may know, I converted my RHD to LHD, changing all major parts involved in this (steering,dash,wipers,harnesses). I seen that the door mirrors are not working at all if I am using the little round switch, not a move.
Only if the memory buttons are used the mirrors glass is moving a little.
In the last days I changed also the switches form the right door, to the left one, using a different switch(and extending the wires +connectors), no luck also.
Now, looking on the electric guide, for 2001- cars, I seen that the driver door control module is powered-up differently for RHD than LHD. At page 95 in the guide, I can see pin DD10-1 the one receiving the power, (B+ is power, isn't it?) and 46 for RHD or 24 for LHD.(I assume that they are the pins from the body module or the heelboard fuse boxes ?)
Now, the question.... Is it possible that my body control module, knowing that it is still RHD to send the power to the wrong pin ? If I am reprogramming the module at the dealer , to let it know that now I am LHD it may be OK?

Am I correct on my thinking?

PS if possible somebody to attach the pages 94-96 or the fig 11.2 and 11.4 from the 2001 electric guide please, as I can't select them.

Later edit:
I found 12V on the brown/red wire so, the power is coming in the driver door module, but probably the BPM didn't let the mirror adjustment and fold back to be powered.

Last edited by flay; 06-30-2013 at 02:48 PM.
Old 06-29-2013, 01:08 PM

bump

Last edited by flay; 06-30-2013 at 02:57 PM.
Old 06-30-2013, 02:58 PM

Seems that I have a new problem, the light on the instruments, J gate, driver door switches and center console don't work.
Anybody know what fuse is responsible for this?

Old 07-03-2013, 08:39 AM

No electrics experts around...

So, if your lights in the instrument panel,J gate, door switches are not working, it's the fuse number 3-Dimmer module , in the left rear passenger heelboard fuse box, 5A fuse. One issue solved,but still no door mirrors movement.

Last edited by flay; 07-03-2013 at 11:43 AM.
Old 07-03-2013, 09:45 AM
Received 282 Likes on 176 Posts

I don't think anyone here is ignoring you. I know I am not. But you went WAY beyond the "frontier anyone of us has gone before". I understand why you did the conversion, but I anticipated MANY electrical gremlins to show up, when I first saw your post about it. You can keep digging, or you can just forget about it (hard for the **** retentive people like me).

I am the only one driving my Cat, and I couldn't care less if the mirrors are working or not (they do, but they never need adjustment). Be glad that everything else works (like gauges, cruise, sport, lights, a/c, etc.). I hope you find the solution though.

Old 07-03-2013, 11:11 AM

Thank you, Daniel! I would do it again even if half of my electrics will not work after.
My quick question probably should be addressed to the ones having experience on WDS or other Jag own testing , if there is an option in the BPM for LHD and RHD and which systems are affected by changing the selection.
I asked an VW electrician and on those cars it is such option, I am wondering if on Jag is affects the way the mirrors are powered. I need more the fold back option than positioning the mirror; If I adjust the position with the fingers the memory is moving them when 1,2,3 are pressed but no electronic adjustment is possible.

As I see that you did some work with your spare front seats, is it possible to change the base of the seat between driver and passenger but keeping the back of it , where the airbags are fitted? My memory seat is still on the passenger side and I have to change the base.

Old 07-03-2013, 12:58 PM
Received 282 Likes on 176 Posts

Yes it's possible. The seatbelt bracket has to be flipped, and that's about all. Pretty simple once the skins are off (everything is in the open).

Old 07-03-2013, 01:50 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,360 Likes on 1,070 Posts

The cars are indeed programmed lhd rhd, does the switch work on the now passenger side?

If so, wouldn't it be a case of swapping the modules from door to door and see if that works. This is the first thing I would have done, not spice wires, to cut a loom is fatal in some cases.

A conversion like your's shouldn't cause too many problems. I think IDS is locked out of lhd rhd, like mileage and vin, they're set at initial programming, but if not that's all that's required, the physical is done, now the electronic... if this is the only hang-up, it's not bad at all!

Best ask Avos or Cambo351 if it's accessible

Old 07-03-2013, 02:16 PM

OK, thank you for the answers!
Daniel, I changed the seat belt bracket already, the one for the driver have the seatbelt light switch, but the light is still on, even if I connect the plug in the seat harness. The foam and skin are easy to be changed also, but there are different harnesses and motors for the driver seat versus the passenger. My idea is to change the base frame, including the motors and harness from one seat to another, keeping the upper, as the airbag is right or left mounted in the seat and I don't want to relocate them.
Sean, I already moved the switches, harnesses and door modules last week ( I had other switches and veneer trims),now it's driver module in the left and passenger in the right. About 30 feets of cables were used(some with 6,10 and 15 wires inside), moving the connectors from right to left and left to right; soldering and heat shrink tubes made the job solid. Everything works as before, except the mirrors, non working since day one as LHD. Funny thing is that the modules are not programmed as FR, RR, FL, RL. They are driver-front, driver-rear, pass-front, pass-rear. I have to switch also the rear door modules. Driver and passengers front windows are opening right, but the rear right switch opens the left(now driver side) window and vice-versa.

Avos or Cambo, if you have any idea on my hermaphrodite car, please give me an advice (by the way, I am left handed but writing with the right hand, so I don't feel entirely unusual about the car).

Last edited by flay; 07-03-2013 at 03:20 PM.
Old 07-03-2013, 02:56 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,360 Likes on 1,070 Posts

Originally Posted by flay
(by the way, i am left handed but writing with the right hand, so i don't feel entirely unusual about the car).
pmsl!

Old 09-22-2013, 12:24 PM

Good news, I bought the cabin harness from ebay , just finished the replacement(oh boy, a lot of work) and now the mirrors are working as they should. Also the floor carpet and handbrake were replaced, now my car is a 99% LHD car. The seats were swapped too, but I had to swap also the airbags inside the seats back.

I have now a small problem, the memory buttons on driver's door don't work but I think it's something minor.