XJ XJ8 / XJR ( X308 ) 1997 - 2003

Door Panel Removal 2002 XJ8

Search this Thread

Old 08-10-2008, 04:12 AM
Received 501 Likes on 317 Posts
Default RE: Door Panel Removal 2002 XJ8

hi,

its not too bad to remove,

first of all, remove the little black blank in the door handle puller, there is a screw behind there, there is a large screw underneath the leather door pull ,

then remove the wooden door trim panel, this pulls off towards you , but ensure you treat it with care, and pput it somewhere safe once removed

then the rest of the panel is held on with push fit plastic studs, gently go round the door edges and bottom pulling the panel away firmly but with car,

once removed , lift up and away from the door,

but remember, the wiring for the door control buttons and puddle lights and speaker will still be connected

as for the speaker wiring, its a bit more tricky, you will need to take out the whole back seat along with removing the seatbelts , you should be able to route the cables under the carpet from there
hope this helps

BB

The following 2 users liked this post by Brake buster:
Catenaccio (01-26-2014), dsetter (01-17-2011)
Old 09-12-2012, 08:19 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Smile

My drivers door developed a rattle and after much agony I managed to remove the door panel. The trick is to remove the two holding screws - one in the handle recesss and one under the armrest then carefully pop all the pinetree fasteners (I used a wooden rule as a lever) then lift the back bottom edge just enough to clear the pinetree fasteners and move the panel upwards. There is a white nylon block that has a "click in" attachment with a metal tongue attached to the door panel. The nylon block needs to slide up with the door panel until it is free of the flanges and then the panel can be lifted off. Then you can disengage the block with a pair of pliers and replace it in the door. When you replce the panel, press gently until the tongue reengages in the block. The rattle was caused by the lower bracket securing the window guide breaking loose from it's spot welds. It looks like only one weld took when the vehicle was manufactured and when it broke loose, it left a small hole in the door itself. The window guide was therefore swinging free when the windows is closed causing the rattle. I plan on drilling the bracket and securing with small stainless hex wrench bolts by drilling the door. This will be a challenge to ensure everything lines up ok. I'll let everyone know how I get on this weekend.

Old 09-12-2012, 09:59 AM
Veteran Member
Received 417 Likes on 308 Posts

rs14887 is correct about the white nylon block and replacing it back in the door after getting the panel off. The wood veneer panel is delicate in that they tend to crack when you bend them slightly to remove them. I always got instructions that said to remove the veneer panel when removing the door panels, but now, I would skip that step if possible to avoid cracking them. I repaced all of mine anyway due to not only cracks but milky finish, so I don't want to have to do that again.

Old 09-19-2012, 09:01 AM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Regarding the wood panel- on my '98 XJ8L, once you remove the oval black handle recess, those panels must be carefully pried out at the rear of the door first. There are two 'slides' that are held by clips- one very nearly at the back of the panel, the other about halfway across. Those will pull out from friction clips. Then the wood panel must slide backwards from the door handle. The door handle mount holds two 'slides' just behind the door handle opening. Once the back two clips are loose, you will slide the entire wood panel to the rear to get the front clips loose from the door latch mount. If you just try to pull the wood panel out, most likely you will break the wood.

If you need to replace the metal swoop handle, Jag wants to see you the mount and handle complete with the cable. I didn't need the cable, as it is in good condition. Rather than paying the $175+tax for the unit, I took the rear door open and exchanged the back for the front. That gives me time to locate just the handle/mount unit at a reasonable price. The rear door almost never gets used, and I figure it is easy for the driver to open that door when needed until the part is located.

Last edited by CrazyIvan1958; 09-19-2012 at 09:03 AM.
Old 01-25-2014, 08:06 PM

I would like to thank everyone on the board for all the great information. I have a 97 xk8 coupe and a 02 xj8 as you know there always issues. My current one is on the XJ, I have pulled the drives door mechanism out and found the cable is not broken but the door would not open from the inside. Is there any way to adjust the cable? Thanks again. Jerryw

Old 01-25-2014, 09:06 PM
Received 60 Likes on 27 Posts

Not sure if this will help or not but I did not find the need to remove the wood trim on the panel to get the panel off.

You may have a problem with the latch.

The following 5 users liked this post by RSpi:
cvella (01-25-2014), earny (01-15-2021), Iconoclast (06-09-2015), Jhartz (01-26-2014), MidwestJag (01-29-2014)
Old 01-29-2014, 03:48 PM

Thank you for your video, big help.