XJ XJ8 / XJR ( X308 ) 1997 - 2003

Door Speakers stopped working

Search this Thread

Old 04-23-2020, 08:35 AM
Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Door Speakers stopped working

Does anyone have any ideas on what my problem might be. I have a 2008 XJ8 and a while back I noticed in playing a CD that it didn't sound right. It had a thin sound, and I had to turn it up louder than I usually do to hear it good. This just happened out of the blue. In checking this out on this site, and other places, some people were saying that it was probably a blown speaker, or that Alpine speakers sometimes have a problem with the wire corroding that goes to the speaker cone. I didn't think that it was either of those as it would seem to me that if a speaker blew out, or it was a problem with the wires that it would be a certain speaker and in my case it is the door speaker in both front doors, and maybe the rear doors as well. One other reason that I think it's something else is that I noticed that when I press the DSP button that allows you to have just the rear speakers on, or front, or all, that that is not working properly. When I put it on rear speakers it still plays in the front (only the small speakers on top of the dash) or if I click it to play only the speakers on the right side it just keeps playing the way it is with nothing changing. I was wondering if I did a reboot, or refresh the radio if that might fix it, or if it may be another problem.

Old 04-23-2020, 09:08 AM
Veteran Member
Received 1,794 Likes on 1,316 Posts

You need to get over to the correct forum for that answer, totally different wiring from our model...https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/x...-x350-x358-28/

Old 05-18-2020, 08:52 AM
Received 81 Likes on 52 Posts

A 'test' CD that cleans the laser lens and does an audio system check is handy. The one I use (Disc Washer, I think) cleans the lens by means of small brushes, one wet with 'cleaning solution, aka, 70% isoproply alcohol) and one dry. There are voice commands to follow. My trick is to use the microphone on my cell phone and place it up to the speaker in question. No volume or crappy volume I know where to start looking. Having a cheapo speaker that can be hooked up to the wires coming from the amp via some alligator clip test leads also helps to isolate physical connection vs speaker itself vs amp...all possible issues. The Master Chief Petty Officer that taught us electronics said "always suspect a mechanical problem (connectors) before the electronic components (speaker)". His advice has been 80% correct in most all cases when chasing gremlins like this. Good luck. You'll figure this out.

Last edited by rsa760041; 05-18-2020 at 08:58 AM.