XJ XJ8 / XJR ( X308 ) 1997 - 2003

Door Speakers/Tweeter Replacement

Search this Thread

Old 04-07-2011, 06:43 AM
Received 221 Likes on 172 Posts

the door speakers are 6.5", can't really help with the tweeters though, as they are quite unique and have a built-in clip to hold them to the door handle pieces

however, i have managed to replace mine with some reasonably large tweeters, they were simply glued into place with a hot glue gun, and this is perfectly fine
you may have clearance issues with the mesh covers though, but my if you use smaller tweeters this shouldn't be an issue

as for the crossovers, there isn't one, only an inline capacitor (i think?) wired to the tweeter. if you are going aftermarket you really shouldn't be bothering with anything that doesn't have a proper crossover, but there is plenty of space in the doors to mount them

Old 04-07-2011, 03:23 PM
Received 23 Likes on 10 Posts

I am planning to replace my front door speakers soon - what kind of a job is it to install them? Is it necessary to pull off the entire door panel?

***Nevermind, thanks. I just found many posts on this subject. Pictures even. Love this place...

Last edited by jaginblack; 04-07-2011 at 03:41 PM. Reason: Moot question.
Old 01-11-2012, 08:45 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default New speakers for 2001 XJ8

Infact, the speakers are not 6.5's there 5.25's.

I guess there as a change over period in the models.

My question is, when buying 'component style speakers' with a cross-over box and a tweeter, is the cross over needed or is there just a direct feed for the tweeter?

Just what is the best way to tackle job use the crossover box?.

Any help would be much appreaciated, i just bought a 20001 XJ8 with 100 on the clock and the speakers are flat blown.

Also its very confusing when people tell you the Wrong size in here, ive been to 3 places to get prices on 'for them to do it' and the price is way out the look, al three places bought up 5.25 or 5 1/4 on the computer, even when i ordered my stuff i used a "will these speakers fit your car' option on Amazon.com and sure enough, 6.5's dont fit.????

Old 01-11-2012, 09:01 AM
Veteran Member
Received 1,360 Likes on 1,070 Posts

On every XJ8 I've seen they are fitted with 6.5" and this is HK or Alpine. Don't blame the forum for your mistake if you get the wrong ones, I'll say this, it's your car, and pulling a door panel to check is naturally common sense before relying on a forum as you shell out a couple of hundred on 5.25's.

Conflicting info on the x-overs, some say they're internally crossed in the amp (premium system) or, full range in each feed.

What system do you have in the car? standard or premium?

Old 01-12-2012, 08:50 AM

Originally Posted by Sean B
On every XJ8 I've seen they are fitted with 6.5" and this is HK or Alpine. Don't blame the forum for your mistake if you get the wrong ones, I'll say this, it's your car, and pulling a door panel to check is naturally common sense before relying on a forum as you shell out a couple of hundred on 5.25's.

Conflicting info on the x-overs, some say they're internally crossed in the amp (premium system) or, full range in each feed.

i belive its just a standard, what i meant with the speakers is, i went to car toys and they checked in the computer and found the car needed 5.25s, i went to best buy an they checked the computer, it said 5.25 and when i ordered on Amazon there "will these speakers fit your car" drop down also came back with 5.25? Yet if you say there 6.5's then i just ****ed up, becuase i ordered 5.25s? ill drop a pannel off today and see what i find, will have to return them i guess?.

Thats BS then, if all the shop computers reccomend 5.25 but then they turn out to be 6.5s...hmmm.

Old 01-12-2012, 09:07 AM

Originally Posted by calico-uk
i belive its just a standard, what i meant with the speakers is, i went to car toys and they checked in the computer and found the car needed 5.25s, i went to best buy an they checked the computer, it said 5.25 and when i ordered on Amazon there "will these speakers fit your car" drop down also came back with 5.25? Yet if you say there 6.5's then i just ****ed up, becuase i ordered 5.25s? ill drop a pannel off today and see what i find, will have to return them i guess?.

Thats BS then, if all the shop computers reccomend 5.25 but then they turn out to be 6.5s...hmmm.
OK ive done some checking, right it can use either or it asks for either should i say, thats a real *******! i like midbase better than highs so im going to miss out...looks like im going to have to do a sub after all yet im not into the whole" ghetto base thing" I did notice there is a sub level switch installed in the arm rest inside with the cables...what would be a ample "all in one unit to install under the seat?.

Any ideas would be great, i ordered what i was told to order from 3 different vendors?????

got a nice set of blaupunkt componet speakers that will cover my upper mids and highs but will now need a base curcuit... that will sound cool pumping out the "beautiful south" in Houston. lolz

Old 01-12-2012, 09:26 AM

Originally Posted by Sean B

Heres the link to Cartoys, which are like a over priced premium installer at retail level Car selector there is there own spec for the year make and model..PFFF BOLLCKS!. Bent over again.

Old 01-12-2012, 12:01 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,360 Likes on 1,070 Posts

Send them back and get 6.5's, to confirm 6.5's fit, measure the grill diameter as a rough and ready check. If they're nearer 6" than just over 5" - you know what to do.
As you're after mid bass, 6.5's are the better speakers.

Old 01-14-2012, 09:42 PM
Veteran Member
Received 586 Likes on 392 Posts

I replaced my 1997 XJ6 speakers today. (About a 3 hour job.) I Installed 5.25" speakers. They fit ok but are a smaller diameter than the original speakers. (I too followed the listings I found posted and online) - I purchased a set before I took off the panels.

I measured the speakers and they are 6.25" OD. The Inner diameter at outside of the foam surround measured 5". On my car, 6.5" speakers would be a tighter fit. (Perhaps different sizing for different speaker manufacturers?)

My replacement speakers have a 4 screw pattern versus the 3 mounting hole pattern that my stock Phillips speakers have. On my door panels, there are two round area where the speakers can fit. The outer area sits about 1/4" higher than the lower area. The lower area has the panel leather folded and stapled to it. My 5.25" speakers fit just into the upper opening. I drilled 4 new holes and screwed them down. They sound much better than the original blown speakers. - The surround foam had separated from the cone.

I recommend that you purchase a few spare door panel door hooks before you start the job. It seems like no matter how careful you are a few break.