XJ XJ8 / XJR ( X308 ) 1997 - 2003

Door wind noise seal

Search this Thread

Old 04-23-2020, 12:43 PM
Received 124 Likes on 105 Posts
Default Door wind noise seal

I can not found it from any catalogs. The most outest lip seal what goes around the top portion of the doors and keeps wind noises out when driving higher speeds.

Old 04-23-2020, 01:51 PM
Received 8,284 Likes on 4,999 Posts

Body Closures and Sealing, Door Seals, LH Front HNC5301AC, RH Front HNC5300AC.

TSBs for you.

bob

Attached Files
File Type: pdf
501-50 Draft Welt Loose.pdf (43.5 KB, 117 views)
Old 04-23-2020, 10:30 PM

Thanks. But not that seal.
I didn't tell that the wind noise door is right rear(swb). But that may be irrelevant. I do have mirror noise issue and that is sorted another time. Issue here is. that lip seal is so soft and loose and bent outwards from one spot that at highway speeds air opens it all the way and there is the noise source. Accidentally saw it happend from the side mirror.

Here is somebody elses picture. What I'm talking about is not the round seal what is broken in the picture. But the right one next to it.
https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/a...19_resized.jpg

Last edited by Vauxi; 04-23-2020 at 10:33 PM.
Old 04-23-2020, 11:26 PM
Veteran Member
Received 888 Likes on 623 Posts

The seal is called "secondary door seal" and it should be #5 on the diagram.

However, these appear to be NLA new. There are a few on Ebay (two rear right and one rear left, same seller) but check the pictures carefully to verify this is what you need or ask the seller whether these are "secondary seals" or "upper seals" as some call them.
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Jaguar-XJ...oAAOSwqwxeLykF
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Jaguar-XJ...gAAOSwz5peLyls
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Jaguar-XJ...wAAOSw8LZeLymA

Old 04-24-2020, 08:59 AM

Thanks! I was struglin what direction it is counted the secondary and primary.

Old 04-26-2020, 08:08 AM

Dang it. I was hoping so much that the lip seal was the noise source. Well. It wasn't. I managed to tighten it by pulling it's edge downwards ever so lightly and glued it down to the door so it is now good fit to the door arch. I'ts now about a year since I drove the car at 110kmh or higher. I did not remember how loud are wind noises in this car. Loud wind noise + very loud tire noise = not so comfortable. As I drove along I tried to listen where all the noises are coming from. Right rear is definetly the loudest but other three are close. Before I left for the journey yesterday I did TSB for mirror noise. That did quiet them down.
Have to do some testing. And of course reading others posts..

Old 04-26-2020, 09:37 AM
Veteran Member
Received 888 Likes on 623 Posts

Most probably it is your main door seals. I recently replaced the driver's side (RHD) door seal with a new one as the old was a bit cracked at a couple of places. On the first drive, I was surprised to hear quite a lot of wind noise from around the A-pillar and there was practically no such noise with the old seal (the cracks were not along the A-pillar). I did the mirror as per TSB, stuck duct tape (on the outside) at various places along the door gap but nothing helped. Finally (after 5-6 test drives), I found out that the new seal rubber, being fresh and "biting", did not sit in properly along the A-pillar but it would fold a bit outwards when I closed the door. Amazing how much noise you get if the door seal does not sit perfectly but has (even tiny) gaps. Applying some (slippery) dashboard rejuvenator on the new seal made it sit correctly and the noise was totally gone.

Old 05-09-2020, 04:36 AM

Rear door wind noise search continues. Installed "third" seal between main and secondary seal to the rear right door. Ugly but it worked just enough to hear that it didn't cure the noise at all. So it may not come from top half of the door. Third seal was enough thick and soft to work.perfectly. As it is known that this car has replacement right doors I looked how doors fits both sides. Right rear low half fits greatly but top half is not in as left side door is. No way massive difference. But noticeable when looking closely. Door might be slightly too high too. Getting door lines fit to fenders and the same time seals fit to the arc is teadeous job. I did not look does door hinches have adjustments to all directions ? And found out that right front door secondary seal is slightly torn at the rear portion.

Last edited by Vauxi; 05-09-2020 at 04:39 AM. Reason: More stuff
Old 08-01-2020, 06:02 AM

Installed streghten door main seal to the rear right door. No other difference than door is now like vault door to close. Maybe too tight, maybe not. We will see. After testdrive with co pilot at backseat we discovered that the noise and even draft is coming from behind door plastic "mirror triangle". After testdrive I saw that the glass run seal doesn't sit well where triangle is inside and it is very loose. Took out door cart and inspected the run seal. No issues there. Other that there is small lip running at the bottom of the run seal. It is turned another way at triangle place than it is in other places. Then I measured by eye that run seal does go all the way to the bottom. But it is very loose sideways. What if I squeese triangle area of the door I thought. Yep. It did squeese well with my hands and now seal sits tight. Flapping wind noise is GONE.

Now there is left about same constant humming wind noise from each door. I think it is now like it was back in the day. But I don't believe it straight away. I'm Planning to dampen the doors with thick instulator mats to reduce midrange and higher frequencies. Maybe under rear seat and backrest too, I've put there (and floor too) dynomat allready but still rear wheel noise is coming from trunk and under floor too much. Yes, tarmac surface is very coarse here.