XJ XJ8 / XJR ( X308 ) 1997 - 2003

Double Din Pioneer in 2001 XJ8

Search this Thread

Old 11-06-2018, 03:26 PM
Received 142 Likes on 73 Posts

Hi King Charles, that's a really nice job, well finished. I like the 'flat' front look, I couldn't get mine to do that, it just wouldn't go back any further, this would have prevented the front opening up to update or insert a CD/DVD. The back of the unit wouldn't tilt up a bit either to make it perfectly level because of the heater ducting. It works well, the only problem is it being a little difficult to see on a really bright day! But I'm happy that an expensive unit isn't just sitting on the shelf.. lol
paul

The following users liked this post:
King Charles (11-09-2018)
Old 11-09-2018, 06:16 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,021 Likes on 741 Posts

Originally Posted by euphonium01
Hi King Charles, that's a really nice job, well finished. I like the 'flat' front look, I couldn't get mine to do that, it just wouldn't go back any further, this would have prevented the front opening up to update or insert a CD/DVD. The back of the unit wouldn't tilt up a bit either to make it perfectly level because of the heater ducting. It works well, the only problem is it being a little difficult to see on a really bright day! But I'm happy that an expensive unit isn't just sitting on the shelf.. lol
paul
Yes this Kenwood model's(dpx501bt) design really lends itself to the X308 accommodations, the face is double din but as it goes back it narrows down to approximately 1-1.5 din. Really pleased w/ it's performance as well.

Old 11-10-2018, 01:04 AM
Received 221 Likes on 172 Posts

KC, do you have any pictures? Because from what I could see on google, it just looks like a regular double din unit all the way back?

Old 11-10-2018, 05:18 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by grandell
KC, do you have any pictures? Because from what I could see on google, it just looks like a regular double din unit all the way back?
Not on hand but my installer was tickled with it & brought it to my attention. I gather since Kenwood has went the Chinese mass production route that I got the very similar JVC back piece w/ a KW face plate since they come from the same factory. Next time I am @ the installer I will ask him for pics, I thought nothing of it, but they were indeed amused with it I remember him saying "it's custom made" & chuckling lol .

Old 11-24-2020, 10:09 PM
Received 59 Likes on 45 Posts

Originally Posted by xjack
Smallest 6.2" (UMS04N model) unit fits just right, i only had to add veneers on the side of the screen to cover space left after original radio. I think anything bigger than 6.2" wont do or would have to be fixed under substantial angle which i didn't like, Steering wheel control is seamless, just hanged relevant wires and configured buttons in the head unit i use steering wheel volume it is even better than the knob! Overall it is nice piece of hardware, sounds great and is well thought and done, on the software side it could be a bit more polished but being android is enough configurable to DIY. if you are so inclined.
Hi,

Realize this is an old post but I'll try anyway!

I just picked up a Joying to replace the JVC which I installed a few years back. Have it mostly installed at this point but was about to give up in having steering wheel buttons with the Joying.

The JVC used an Axxess ASWC-1 steering control unit for the steering wheel buttons. Sounds like that is not needed with the Joying??

I presume you connected the Key1 and / or Key2 wires from the Joying into some other wires on the Jag harness. DO you happen to recall what wires those connected to?

Thanks.

Mike

Old 11-25-2020, 04:41 PM
Received 59 Likes on 45 Posts

Originally Posted by Amphicar770
Hi,

I presume you connected the Key1 and / or Key2 wires from the Joying into some other wires on the Jag harness. DO you happen to recall what wires those connected to?

Thanks.

Mike
Answering my own question, hopefully benefits others.

You do not need the Axxess ASWC-1 or anything else.

I connected key1 and key2 wires to orange striped wire on the yellow jag radio connector. Steering wheel controls now all working.

The following 2 users liked this post by Amphicar770:
Coventrywood (12-09-2020), grandell (11-30-2020)
Old 11-30-2020, 02:27 PM

An old post, but useful nonetheless!

Once you've spent a bit more time with the Joying unit I'd love to hear your feedback on it.

Old 12-01-2020, 05:27 PM
Veteran Member
Received 365 Likes on 262 Posts
Default My new X308 2-din radio

Wow! Somehow, I have missed this thread and all these beautiful posts with install pictures that show a resolve to the original concept that dictated it was nearly impossible to place a 2-din display aftermarket radio inside the slightly too small X308 original radio opening, and missing just by no more than ¼”, without making some major alterations to the general structure in there. But, the aficionados’ desire to have a nice large display was bigger than “the opposition”… and so was mine… hence all these examples here. Congrats to all!!

Well, yes, I’ve found my own resolve to this in the form of a very modern Android 8.1 radio with a 7” HD display and, yes, with a single-din mounting body, which, needless to say, fits in there leaving lots of room to spare behind. The catch? No CD or DVD drives, which I absolutely do not need because, instead, I get:

1. A set of 2 USB inputs, where I have large storage capacity USB sticks holding 167 movies… The best thing about this radio in regards to recorded movies is that it is an MP5 radio, meaning that, unlike most other recorded movie players, it plays all kinds of recordings, regardless of the encoding system used.
2. A 56 GB SanDisk storing my entire music library of no less than 350 CD’s with over 7000 files of symphonic, opera and jazz CD’s. These tiny disks have become so cheap that music can now be recorded at their original quality without compressing it anymore.
Blue Tooth, which becomes a second source because I also have the same entire music library in my smart phone, plus most of the movies. For music, I have actually been using Blue tooth more than the SanDisk because I can park the phone above the dash which is in front of my face, much easier to select from it.

The radio comes with several features that I haven’t even setup yet, such as rearview camera input, mirror link, wi-fi internet via tethering, aux input, steering wheel control, etc. BTW, in another post here I attached a Word document with the work I did adapting the XJR steering wheel buttons to work with an aftermarket radio.

So, here’s mine:

It matches almost OEM

Bright HD display

Had to, first, clean up the mess from previous installs. Also, see how shallow it is to the back

Android 8.1

Old 12-04-2020, 12:00 AM
Veteran Member
Received 365 Likes on 262 Posts

BTW, I didn't mention on the previous post, this install is on my 2002 XJR, which came originally with the Alpine "Premium" sound. In addition to the Android radio, the system includes:
A Pioneer digital sound processor with separate 1-din (and only 1 1/2" deep) control/display (shown here only in this ancient picture below, saying "JAZZ") which features a crossover, field sound effects (club, studio, stadium, etc.) and parametric equalizer, which includes a superb self-equalization feature that's impossible to match by hand because it sets the perfect combo for all of its features by listening to feedback from a test speaker connected to it. This device provides three outputs: front amp (+ riding tweeter amp), rear amp and subwoofer amp. These 2-channel, Rockford Fosgate, 200wrms front and rear amps, total 400wrms, feed the 2 front and 2 rear 6 1/2” midrange Alpine speakers. A Kicker 400wrms amp feeds the 350wrms Kicker subwoofer in the trunk. A separate, dedicated 50 wrms Dub tweeter amp feeds the new 50wrms Infinity Reference tweeters at the A-pillars. The new Android radio features GPS via the Internet, but I find that the GPS on my Samsung Galaxy smart phone is excellent and more practical, which can be setup even before you get in the car or walk away with it. Comparing to the stock "Premium" sound? Oh, man, do I have to tell you how many symphony or opera moments become absolutely glorious when listening to it through the more accurate, to the closer to right sound reproduction system? I realize that there are better (and much more expensive) devices out there, but the huge difference between my sound and the OEM premium sound still is quite remarkable.
The Pioneer DSP control/display is shown here in a picture of an old install (above the Kenwood radio) because currently it's living inside the center glove box of the XJR. Why? No room. I still don't know where I can place it now that I have a full 2-din radio.

Subwoofer sound sneaks into the cabin through the grille of the removed OEM subwoofer on the rear shelf
The 40 GB Kenwood Phatnoise Music Keg (next to the subwoofer) still works fine but its capacity no longer matches that of current USB and SanDisk storage devices, plus cannot control it with any of the new radios.

Old 12-04-2020, 08:05 PM
Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts

Does anyone know of a source for a bypass connector for the factory amplifier. I believe it is an 18 pin connector.

I was hoping I could find one fairly cheap and then restore the factory wiring harness and just plug in my new connector to this connector and then clean up the previous owners wiring a lot.

Old 02-20-2021, 06:16 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

might be useless commenting on a 3yr old post but,,,could the joying one be set up with the stock cd charger in the boot or does that have to go?
when i got my jag it was about to be broken for parts and i managed to get it before it happend. but as a result its missing the phone moduel, and the nav moduel so overall pretty decent save just missing those 2 things
i want to try do something like this at some point and the joying guy said it maintained steering wheel button controls, - so im kind of leaining towards that option but id like to keep the cd option open aswell. iv been looking around and came across a soundstream headunit and was wondering if anyones used that as an alternative. you get a cd player and pretty much all the other options that the joying one had aswell. the soundstream has a pop out screen however and i feel it may get in the way of the gearstick thats my only concern in this.
sorry for anything thats unclear in this.

Last edited by Perry Tannagh; 02-20-2021 at 09:05 PM.
Old 02-20-2021, 07:01 PM

also does the joying one need an extra harnes for the buttons on an x308?

Old 02-22-2021, 05:07 PM

Which year is your car? But the short answer is no, you won't be able to use your CD changer. It runs a modified version of Alpine Ai-Net, which is easy enough to tap into, but the original headunit is what tells the CD Changer to play. The Joying unit (or any other unit, for that matter) won't be able to tell the changer to play.

But... why would you need to? The main advantage of a new unit is that you can access digital music, either via a subscription service (Spotify etc), or you can put ALL your CDs onto a USB stick and just plug that in instead

Old 02-22-2021, 06:14 PM

its an 02 SE and yea that is a good point you make

Old 02-23-2021, 09:35 PM
Veteran Member
Received 157 Likes on 136 Posts

I want to have some things like this below but this thread itself is 10 years old.

I want something OEM like and timeless, I wish there is head unit available with both modern trch and vintage look at the same time.

https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/x...-my-xj8-51704/

Old 02-24-2021, 04:44 AM

thats why im looking at the joying unit, although not oem it does have a lot of customisation that means you can make it look somewhat oem with other apps -
from what ive seen.

honestly if they sold the appropriate trim pannels for the unit to make it look oem, and you didnt have to make them yourself - id of done this a long time ago

Old 02-24-2021, 02:43 PM
Veteran Member
Received 157 Likes on 136 Posts

Originally Posted by Perry Tannagh
thats why im looking at the joying unit, although not oem it does have a lot of customisation that means you can make it look somewhat oem with other apps -
from what ive seen.

honestly if they sold the appropriate trim pannels for the unit to make it look oem, and you didnt have to make them yourself - id of done this a long time ago
forgive my ignorance. What's joying unit?

Old 02-24-2021, 06:17 PM

its the unit that xjack has in his car. it has onboard wifi, satnav, radio, steeringwheel button intergration and a lot more features such as reverse cameras and such. its based off of android 10 so its bassically a tablet monitor you can intergrate into your car that uses a single din installment, the smallest one is 6.2'' and fits perfectly in hight. the main problem i see though is making the side trim for it. if you scroll up you will see photos xjack uploaded of their install its honestly quite sleak i think.

long story short its the head unit im looking to try install in the future
instead of wooden trim i want to put white leather instead
the setup xjack has though is super clean

joying also comes with voice controll and bassically every input under the sun. 2 usbs , microsd and i think line in and bluetooth
also 5ghz wifi which is apparently very good on the android 10 units
previously the android 8 was apparently slow
sorry if this is a lot to take in iv been doing my research

Old 02-24-2021, 06:56 PM

head unit sorry

Old 02-24-2021, 08:26 PM
Veteran Member

PSA : I've had bad runs w/ Joying ware.

Quick Reply: Double Din Pioneer in 2001 XJ8