XJ XJ8 / XJR ( X308 ) 1997 - 2003

Dragged (kicking and screaming) almost into this century!

Search this Thread

Old 12-18-2014, 09:18 AM
Received 161 Likes on 90 Posts
Default Dragged (kicking and screaming) almost into this century!

Yeah, it's hard to credit that a confirmed luddite such as myself could be seduced by a shapely body and a non-inline engine but it happened!
(After all, anyone with any sense realizes you can't build an engine in the shape of a V. The weight of the piston/rod assemblies would quickly wear the cylinders out on the bottom side ..... I mean DUH!)

After scoping it out online, I drove from my home in Mississippi up to the Atlanta area and picked up this '98 VDP. Low mileage (96k), and fairly well kept considering it's age. Not without some warts though.
In true "used car dealer" fashion, the internet images (all 48 of 'em!) artfully failed to show the broken passenger side mirror. Also some issues with the driver's side door lock and window functions. In all fairness, the transaction was relatively pleasant. I paid a little bit more than I wanted to, but I'm sure they took a LOT less than they would have preferred.

Considering that my personal concept of "state of the art" has never gone much past windshield wipers with more than two speeds, the electronics on this puppy are kinda scary. Needless to say, I'm on a steep learning curve! So far everything seems to be OK, barring a possible glitch in the CD changer. It doesn't seem to want to play anything past the #1 disc. Early days though, and probably a dumbass new user issue.

The V8 and 5-speed auto, as advertised, are silky smooth and plenty spunky .... no complaints there. Reading up on the V8 timing chain tensioner problems has me cautious, but I may be able to contact the previous owner. Judging from some service history that came with the car, the newer bits may have already been installed. Here's hoping!

My only personal gripe so far (and it almost killed the sale!) is ingress and egress. I'm a big guy, 6'-5". I had read that headroom was not great for tall folks. Problem is, headroom can only become a factor once you've managed to actually stuff your big *** into the vehicle!
First attempt was a no go. After a 340 mile ride to look at this car, I'm sittin' here with my butt on the seat and everything else still outside, looking like a damn fool! Anyone with a lick of sense would have given up right there.
Fortunately, I don't fall into that category. I finally devised a method, I'm sure pretty comical looking and involving no small amount of pain, to get in the car. Once inside, things loosen up a little, but not to any great extent. The only vehicle I've ever owned that was this tight was a '59 MGA roadster. Why in hell would anyone purposely build a car with a longer-than-standard wheelbase for comfort and leave so little room for the driver!!!! Are all you brits freakin' midgets?
(Oh, my bad, I forgot. It's a Vanden Plas, you're not supposed to drive it yourself..... Duh! Any vertically challenged expatriate Englishmen out there looking for a really low-paying chauffeur gig? PM me.)

I haven't had a chance to take any pics, but I stole the dealer's images. Without further ado, here are a few.
For the hard core masochists, here's a link to all 48 of 'em!
Cheers, Retro
Vanden Plas Photos by retromotors45 | Photobucket

Name:  Gw_800_zpsbecb87b9.jpg
Views: 119
Size:  30.8 KB

Name:  ew_800_zpsc89605af.jpg
Views: 110
Size:  35.9 KB

Name:  Og_800_zpsc4f13b49.jpg
Views: 110
Size:  32.6 KB

Name:  VQ_800_zpsb610fa65.jpg
Views: 104
Size:  33.2 KB

Name:  8w_800_zpsc2064184.jpg
Views: 82
Size:  31.3 KB

Name:  9w_800_zpsb2e86094.jpg
Views: 107
Size:  47.3 KB

Last edited by retromotors; 12-19-2014 at 06:23 AM. Reason: added engine image
The following 5 users liked this post by retromotors:
Cambo (12-18-2014), Don B (12-18-2014), Gippsland (12-19-2014), jimlombardi (12-19-2014), xjay8 (12-19-2014)
Old 12-18-2014, 09:36 AM
Veteran Member
Received 1,064 Likes on 867 Posts

Retro:
You are right, she looks like a gem in their pictures, and I bet she is pretty good in real life, too. Remember, she is more than 15 years old. The piston wear will be the least of your troubles, I suspect!

Yep, you got it right on the tensioners. There have been a bunch of folks who came asking, "why is there motor destroyed with less than 100,000 miles on the clock?' The answer is that it is apparently time as much as mileage. Do yourself a favor and remove the valve covers and have a look. The two hours spent (or paid for) is well spent considering the risk.

As to the electronics, you will almost certainly have some snigglies. I suggest you go ahead and get the JIC service manual downloaded or join Alldatadiy.com (or both). Depending on the level of service you intend to handle yourself, you will need one of three levels of scanner software, ranging from a way to read OBD codes to the dealer level software running on a computer.

Good luck.

The following 2 users liked this post by sparkenzap:
Don B (12-18-2014), retromotors (12-18-2014)
Old 12-18-2014, 10:32 AM
Veteran Member
Received 542 Likes on 423 Posts

She is beautiful. I have owned much simpler cars as well, but none compare in overall fit, feel and functionality to the XJ. It is a wonderful car... I wouldn't fret about the engine age- you will double if not triple that number on the odometer.

The following users liked this post:
retromotors (12-18-2014)
Old 12-18-2014, 10:32 AM

Thanks Ross.
Your comments reminded me that i have an unused OBD reader out in the shop. I bought it to use on my pickup, the only thing I owned that was new enough to use such infernal devices.
I never could get any readings with it, so gave it up as a bad job, (or more likely the aforementioned dumbass user syndrome!)
Come to find out, several shops have also been unable to read that truck, so I guess its a fault with the vehicle.
Retro

Old 12-18-2014, 10:42 AM

Originally Posted by dsnyder586
She is beautiful... I wouldn't fret about the engine age- you will double if not triple that number on the odometer.
Thanks for your comments.
I agree, my research so far seems to indicate that once the tensioner issues are dealt with, the engine is pretty bulletproof and good for the long haul.

I'm pushing 280,000 miles on my Dodge pickup, so this car is a relative youngster by contrast!

Retro

Old 12-18-2014, 11:05 AM
Veteran Member
Received 420 Likes on 320 Posts

Not sure I agree with the comments about the driving position. I am also 6ft 5. I find it very comfortable. The first thing I'd check is that you've actually adjusted everything. Is the seat back AND fully down? Is the steering wheel up and fully towards you? Turn off the auto wheel function.

retromotors (12-18-2014)
Old 12-18-2014, 11:56 AM

Originally Posted by Mark SF
Not sure I agree with the comments about the driving position. I am also 6ft 5. I find it very comfortable.
Hi Mark,
Yep, seat all the way back and down, and also with a little more rearward tilt than I would really prefer.
I guess a lot of it depends on exactly how one's parts are arranged to reach a given height. I'm fairly long in the torso, but not exceptionally long legged.

The long torso is probably a big factor in my problem getting into the car. Once inside, the comfort level is not what I'd call terrible, but not really that great.
There's very little foot room, only adequate left leg room with absolutely no extra to enable a change in position on a long ride, and with the right leg in a somewhat awkward bend with no way to extend or move it. So basically I'm locked in one position.

Even with a couple stops, the 300 plus miles home had me gimping around pretty good. Not what I'd hoped for in a supposed luxury ride.

Again, it's early days yet and I'm still in the investigative / "getting to know you" stage of ownership. I'll get 'er worked out some kinda way!

Old 12-18-2014, 06:59 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,352 Likes on 927 Posts

Congrats on the purchase!
I have the exact same car (65.000 mls, in Spruce green, and with the original VDP rims) for a year now, and am extremely happy with it.

Do not at all have any problems on getting in/out or the comfort, but I am of normal posture and weight.
Actually never experienced any fatigue, not even on long trips.

My car came in pretty perfect, but I still experienced some of the dreading X308 issues.
No problem to fix those, as long as the basis is good, and you are willing to look at this car beyond its economic value.
Although I decided the last months that a XJ-S will be the ultimate, I have no problem to poor money into this car to keep it on the road, now and forever.
She is not going to any other owner soon.

Hope the same will count for you.

E.

PS. I hope you have more keys then the one shown on the picture. Should have 2x black, plus 1x green key.

Last edited by ericjansen; 12-18-2014 at 07:07 PM.
retromotors (12-18-2014)
Old 12-18-2014, 07:23 PM
Received 4,454 Likes on 2,426 Posts

Nice one!

I didn't know that the US-model VDP had the Daimler front grille & booth plinth. Very nice indeed!

retromotors (12-18-2014)
Old 12-18-2014, 08:49 PM

Eric & Cambo,
Thank you for the kind words.
Barring any extreme circumstances, I'm into this car for the long haul. I really like it.
In the distant past I was a professional mechanic, though in a different genre (motorcycles). I'm more than capable with basic mechanical systems, but not too experienced with the newer electronics.
I certainly expect I'll spend some money on this beast, but hoping it doesn't turn into a real money pit.
So far, I've got a good feeling about it!
Retro

Old 12-18-2014, 09:57 PM
Received 12,952 Likes on 6,470 Posts

Retro,

Congratulations on your new Jag. She's a real beauty, and that interior is especially nice!

Enjoy!

Originally Posted by Cambo351
I didn't know that the US-model VDP had the Daimler front grille & booth plinth. Very nice indeed!
Cambo,

FYI our '93 XJ40 VDP also has the fluted Daimler bits. My understanding is that other than badging, the U.S. VDP models are identical to U.K. Daimlers. If I recall correctly, Jaguar used the Vanden Plas name because Mercedes-Benz owns the rights to the Daimler name in the U.S.

Cheers,

Don

retromotors (12-20-2014)
Old 12-18-2014, 11:50 PM
Received 4,454 Likes on 2,426 Posts

It just jumped out at me because the X350 VDP's don't have the fluted bits like the Daimler Super Eight's...

Old 12-19-2014, 12:43 AM
Received 12,952 Likes on 6,470 Posts

Originally Posted by Cambo351
It just jumped out at me because the X350 VDP's don't have the fluted bits like the Daimler Super Eight's...

Ah... I hadn't thought about that. I don't recall seeing a U.S. Super V8 with fluted bits either, so Jaguar must have discontinued the practice in the U.S.

Last edited by Don B; 12-19-2014 at 12:45 AM.
Old 12-19-2014, 06:01 AM

Originally Posted by ericjansen
.......PS. I hope you have more keys then the one shown on the picture. Should have 2x black, plus 1x green key.
Ah yes, the green "valet" key. Saw that in a JagDocs XJ8 owner's video on youtube:

Unfortunately, I only received the 2 black keys. Slight possibility the other key might turn up somewhere in the car, but probably not.

No big .... I wouldn't mind having it for the sake of completeness and originality, but I'm really not a valet kinda guy.
Retro

Old 12-19-2014, 01:21 PM
Veteran Member
Received 411 Likes on 306 Posts

Looks really sweet Retro, under the hood too. You might want to check into getting an aluminum thermostat housing. The plastic ones can get old and leak. Your car looks a lot like mine. Mine is emerald green with cashmere interior.

retromotors (12-20-2014)
Old 12-19-2014, 09:25 PM
Veteran Member
Received 2,181 Likes on 1,621 Posts

Nice wheels.

Do you have a part number and diameter?

retromotors (12-20-2014)
Old 12-19-2014, 10:23 PM
Veteran Member
Received 219 Likes on 181 Posts

Looks really nice Retro,
But the main reason I comment is your way with words,read and enjoyed your post with a smile.

Thanks for taking the time to write it.

retromotors (12-20-2014)
Old 12-20-2014, 12:50 AM

Originally Posted by plums
Nice wheels.

Do you have a part number and diameter?
Thanks Plums,
I'm just starting to gather a little lore on this series of Jaguar, still don't know a helluva lot. After considerable scanning of various photos and videos, I've found these are known as Celtic wheels. They are 16" diameter
(Edit: My mistake, it was pointed out to me they are actually COSMIC wheels!)
As far as I can determine they are Jaguar items, but I have no idea what model and/or years they came standard on. I don't think they are original for my Vanden Plas, but that's OK .... I like 'em. To me they are kinda sporty but avoid the "ghetto" look.
The first place I spotted them was on this XJ8 introductory video, at about the 1:20 - 1:24 minute mark.

Last edited by retromotors; 12-20-2014 at 11:06 PM.
Old 12-20-2014, 12:58 AM

Originally Posted by Gippsland
Looks really nice Retro,
But the main reason I comment is your way with words,read and enjoyed your post with a smile.

Thanks for taking the time to write it.
Thank you,
I've always figured why say something in a half dozen words when you can convey the exact same meaning and content using several hundred!
(And maybe have a little fun at the same time.)

Just my little rebellion against "textspeak".
Glad my efforts are occasionally appreciated.
Retro

Last edited by retromotors; 12-20-2014 at 01:25 AM.
Old 12-20-2014, 01:11 AM

Originally Posted by JimmyL
Looks really sweet Retro, under the hood too. You might want to check into getting an aluminum thermostat housing. The plastic ones can get old and leak......
Thanks Jimmy,
I'm gradually learning about the various XJ8 foibles. Naturally the first and most critical are the timing chain tensioners. My driver's side door is suffering from the door check arm needing repair .... thank goodness that one looks like a low dollar fix.
I've seen mention of the thermostat housing glitch, but figured I'd hold briefly on that until I look at the timing chains. It seems to be OK at the moment.
Retro

Last edited by retromotors; 12-20-2014 at 11:07 PM.

Quick Reply: Dragged (kicking and screaming) almost into this century!