XJ XJ8 / XJR ( X308 ) 1997 - 2003

Dragged (kicking and screaming) almost into this century!

Search this Thread

Old 12-20-2014, 08:19 PM
Veteran Member
Received 2,184 Likes on 1,624 Posts

Thanks for trying.

I did a lookup right after closing the page.

They are Cosmic's 16x7J

If they were 8J or wider, they'd be my wheel of choice. Definitely a nice look and you
have real sidewalls instead of rubber bands.

Old 12-20-2014, 10:58 PM
Received 161 Likes on 90 Posts

Originally Posted by plums
Thanks for trying......They are Cosmic's 16x7J
Well shucks, you're absolutely right. I had to flip back and forth between images and catch just the right angle, but they definitely are not Celtics.
Mea culpa ....!
Retro

Old 12-21-2014, 01:07 AM
Veteran Member
Received 1,353 Likes on 927 Posts

Originally Posted by retromotors
By the way, you might have a look at the middle engine cover in the engine bay (right side of the picture).
It seems something is not lining up, and the cover is way too high.
The middle cover should fit under each of the side ones, then locked with a screw in the middle.
The cap of the cooling reservoir should stick out above the cover.

Last edited by ericjansen; 12-21-2014 at 01:10 AM.
Old 12-21-2014, 04:54 AM
Veteran Member
Received 2,184 Likes on 1,624 Posts
Thumbs up

Well shucks, you're absolutely right. I had to flip back and forth between images and catch just the right angle, but they definitely are not Celtics.
Mea culpa ....!
Retro
Sorry, my eyes skipped right over the mention of Celtics. I didn't mean it that
way. Should have put a smiley there. So here you go ....

Old 12-21-2014, 09:21 AM

Eric,
Thanks for the heads up on that engine cover. I hadn't noticed that in the photo.
Anyway, must have been something they were doing while cleaning or detailing the underhood area, all is correct now.
(Of course, that begs the question of exactly what the hell they were doing under that cover in the first place. One shudders to imagine!)

Plums,
Absolutely no offense taken, my friend.

Old 12-23-2014, 02:45 PM

Over the past few days I got to take my first decent ride in the VDP. The trip home from Atlanta doesn't really count. Unfamiliarity with the car and worry about my wife in the other vehicle created some stress, couldn't really enjoy the car.

We drove down the Mississippi Coast for an overnight family visit. Roughly 450 miles total, and the car performed flawlessly. I'm adapting somewhat to the driving position, though getting in and out is still a horrendous PITA! The wife reported reported feeling better than she usually does after that ride (we're both in what I guess you'd call the creaky stage of life!)

Got my issues with the CD changer worked out. Like I forecast, there actually was no problem, just the Dumb-Assed User Syndrome. (You'll be seeing lots of that from me, so I'm hereby shortening it to D-AUS.)
The audio system is great! On CDs that I've owned for years, I heard some background instruments I'd never been aware of before.
Fuel mileage was a bit over 21 mpg for the trip, beats hell out of 14 in my truck!

I like this car .... a lot!
My replacement passenger side mirror should arrive tomorrow. Will be very happy to get that broken mirror fixed. It's kind of a crappy feeling cruising along in what you think is a pretty classy ride, except it's got this big freakin' WART for everyone to see!

Merry Christmas everyone.
Y'all be safe out there!
Retro

Last edited by retromotors; 12-23-2014 at 02:50 PM.
Old 12-28-2014, 04:54 PM

Got my rehomed passenger side mirror installed. Thanks to excellent illustrated instructions on this forum there was very little angst and (more importantly) no damage to the vehicle or myself!

When I hit the unlock button on the key fob, I heard the new mirror readjusting itself from where I had it set.
Which segues neatly into my next project. I need to RTFM and research all the XJ8 memory function issues (I haven't a clue!), plus my non-locking, window-stuck-shut driver's door.

Haven't had this much Brit-fun since I rode a '61 Triumph T110 back from New Orleans in a driving rainstorm with my ankles all splayed out at goofy angles so as not to be zapped by the cracked electrical pickups on a Lucas magneto. (Or was it a BTH mag?..... who knows, who cares! It was the mid-'60s and I was probably under the influence of something or other!)
Retro

Old 12-28-2014, 06:01 PM
Veteran Member

I am very happy you like this car as much as I do.

As you, I bought mine pretty much perfect, but initially the list of ''to do's'' still grew rather fast.
Might be cause I want everything to be perfect.
Now getting on top of it, and just few issues left.

Anyway, what I wanted to share, the very best thing I did was a thorough cleaning of all leathers.
I thought my car was clean, but still was shocked to see how much black crap came from it.
I spent about 2 hours cleaning the leathers, had it all dried up, and after that used Zaino leather conditioner twice.
That is magic stuff.

Since then, the slight smell of an old British gentlemen's room welcomes us every time we enter the car.
The wife loves it, and so do I.
It let me smile before even turning the key ...

Old 12-28-2014, 09:11 PM

Originally Posted by ericjansen
..... used Zaino leather conditioner twice.
That is magic stuff.......Since then, the slight smell of an old British gentlemen's room welcomes us every time we enter the car ...
Zaino huh? OK, I'll keep that in mind. I was gonna search out some good leather cleaning & conditioning products. The only thing I have around is some Lexol I used on my motorcycle leathers way back in the day.

During my initial google of Zaino products, it seems everyone mentions the smell. Some even called it addictive.

Old 12-28-2014, 09:49 PM
Veteran Member

Some even called it addictive.
Zaino Z-10 does the trick.
First day after applying it smells rather horrible, but after that it is just magical.

The following users liked this post:
JimmyL (12-29-2014)
Old 12-31-2014, 05:59 PM

Forgot to mention, while installing the mirror the other day I also did a "hard reset" with the negative battery cable as per forum instructions.

At the time I didn't think it had any effect. Haven't driven the car until today, when I found out differently. Earlier I mentioned hearing the mirror readjust itself when I used the key fob. Come to find out, the seat and steering column had readjusted themselves too.

The interesting part is that previously the steering column switch was dead, no adjustment or reaction at all. Now the column tilts up and down. It still doesn't telescope, but it's a mechanical rather than electrical fault. I can hear the motor working, but no joy on movement.

Still, I'm encouraged. Progress!
I also noticed the steering column played some part in my problems entering and exiting the car. Seems to be easier now.

Now I need to get serious on resetting all this memory BS to my specs. Not sure I have the procedure down to the Nth degree, but as I recall it's something like:
a) Procedure to be performed only on the third Tuesday of the month, during a waning moon.
b) While holding the headlight dimmer switch in the "flash to pass" position, insert the ignition key and turn it to position 1.
c) Operate the dimmer switch as if flashing lights 47 times. (Caution: Keep an accurate count. Attempting the remainder of the procedure at more or less than exactly 47 flashes will cause your vehicle to self-immolate.)
d) Remove the left rear wheel and tire from the vehicle and roll it around your house three times. (Apartment dwellers see appendix B-168Z.)
e) Open the driver side front and passenger side rear windows, leaving all other windows and sunroof closed.
f) Whilst holding the dimmer switch in the flash position, rub the top of your head in a circular motion while simultaneously breaking wind in a north northeasterly direction. (Use a compass ... this is critical!)
Your memory selections should now be programmed correctly.

Happy New Year, everyone!
Retro

Last edited by retromotors; 12-31-2014 at 07:00 PM.