XJ XJ8 / XJR ( X308 ) 1997 - 2003

drive cycle clarification question

Search this Thread

Old 12-30-2019, 04:56 PM
Received 22 Likes on 13 Posts
Default drive cycle clarification question

Hello all. I recently got my 2000 XJR back after a rebuilding the heads. The car had been sitting for 3 years and was registered as non op. Now that I've got it running again I went to re register the car and per california regulation I have to smog the car. But I cannot seem to get the OBDii monitors ready. I've already driven over 300 miles on the car, I've let it sit in the driveway warming up, still it is not ready. I've done some searching and read about the drive cycles that needs to be preformed but people seem to suggest different procedures for different monitors and I'm unclear which ones I need to do. Here is a screenshot of my last obdii scan:

I also have a question about the drive cycle itself. If for instance it says to warm up the car for 2 and a half minutes, them accelerate to 55mph and drive at 55mph for 3 min, then coast down to 20 mph then back up to 55 for 5 min. My question is this, how much time and or milage does it allow between these steps. If I warm up my car in my driveway I have a 5-10 min drive to get to a freeway to accelerate to 55, is this acceptable or will it mess up preforming the drive cycle?

Old 12-30-2019, 05:41 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,803 Likes on 1,322 Posts

You need to do an OBDII scan for codes to see what returns....if any. This determines if the cycle completed.

Here's a pdf for review... http://www.jagrepair.com/images/Trai...20-%202000.pdf
...pg 26 starts the warm up and drive procedures per Jaguar, but read what's before it. There's a total review of what is covered throughout, how and why in that.

Taken from... http://www.jagrepair.com/Default.htm ...and it should be bookmarked.

The following users liked this post:
Don B (04-26-2020)
Old 12-30-2019, 06:06 PM

Originally Posted by Highhorse
You need to do an OBDII scan for codes to see what returns....if any. This determines if the cycle completed.

Here's a pdf for review... http://www.jagrepair.com/images/Trai...20-%202000.pdf
...pg 26 starts the warm up and drive procedures per Jaguar, but read what's before it. There's a total review of what is covered throughout, how and why in that.

Taken from... http://www.jagrepair.com/Default.htm ...and it should be bookmarked.
Thanks for the pdf, but that one seems like it is for the straight 6 and v12 motors, not the x308's V8.
What i posted above is from an obdii scan, it is the readiness monitors, the only codes are a pending p1000 which is just a placeholder code you get if the monitors are not ready.

Old 12-30-2019, 06:11 PM
Veteran Member

The P1000 is an incomplete operation cycle of the system....as your test concludes. What I'm saying regarding the scan is for P**** codes.

One member recently posted he had to drive cycle his 6 times to get emissions to clear.

Old 12-30-2019, 06:12 PM

The P1000 is an incomplete operation cycle of the system....as your test concludes. What I'm saying regarding the scan is for P**** codes.
There are no CELs and no other pending codes

Old 12-30-2019, 07:16 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,111 Likes on 699 Posts

I got mine to reset with only one run through the cycle after reinstalling the engine. I've read and talked to many who've had to attempt it multiple times. One guy I talked to at a local car show finally got his to reset by following the exact same route that I did. I drove way out of town on a weekday afternoon and found a long stretch of highway with low enough traffic volume that I thought I could complete the entire procedure without interruption. We concluded that that must be the key, "without interruption", but there was about a 25-30 minute drive between initial warm up and the start of the driving portions outside of town. But for me, it was close. Even in a rural area, I almost had to slow down before I was supposed to when another car pulled onto the highway ahead of me. I somehow managed to pass without changing speed.

I don't know for sure that all of the tests have to be done exactly in sequence or if there is a time limit between steps. I suspect they are somewhat independent as some owners have reported that they just drive normally and the system resets on its own after anywhere from a couple hundred to a couple thousand miles. Eventually you would encounter driving conditions that satisfy the parameters of the tests, but in city driving, that could take a long, long time. After all, when was the last time you were able to hold 55mph for five minutes without either running into somebody or getting honked at and shown a middle finger? I kind of expect the reset procedure was written intended to be done on a chassis dyno.

Last edited by pdupler; 12-30-2019 at 07:18 PM.
Old 12-30-2019, 07:24 PM

Originally Posted by pdupler
I got mine to reset with only one run through the cycle after reinstalling the engine. I've read and talked to many who've had to attempt it multiple times. One guy I talked to at a local car show finally got his to reset by following the exact same route that I did. I drove way out of town on a weekday afternoon and found a long stretch of highway with low enough traffic volume that I thought I could complete the entire procedure without interruption. We concluded that that must be the key, "without interruption", but there was about a 25-30 minute drive between initial warm up and the start of the driving portions outside of town. But for me, it was close. Even in a rural area, I almost had to slow down before I was supposed to when another car pulled onto the highway ahead of me. I somehow managed to pass without changing speed.

I don't know for sure that all of the tests have to be done exactly in sequence or if there is a time limit between steps. I suspect they are somewhat independent as some owners have reported that they just drive normally and the system resets on its own after anywhere from a couple hundred to a couple thousand miles. Eventually you would encounter driving conditions that satisfy the parameters of the tests, but in city driving, that could take a long, long time. After all, when was the last time you were able to hold 55mph for five minutes? I kind of expect the reset procedure was written intended to be done on a chassis dyno.
A chassis dyno would be ideal for completing this, if it were a stupid and dangerous thing to do, I'd have half a mind to just jack up the rear of the car and attempt it, but we've all seen Ferris Bueller and we know how that can end! Besides you probably need some resistance from the tyres on the road to load the engine to complete the drive cycle..
I'm in Los Angeles, I'd have to drive for hours to find an empty stretch of highway to try and complete this in one go. As it is my attempts at the drive cycle have been interrupted by traffic and/or stop lights. Also I'm not even sure which drive cycle to follow as I've seen so many different ones posts and some suggest different procedures for different monitors. But still good to know that I don't have to attempt it imediately after warming up.

Old 12-31-2019, 08:24 AM
Veteran Member
Received 4,535 Likes on 3,944 Posts

Originally Posted by OUScooby
There are no CELs and no other pending codes
That may be good news (there may be no problems it would like to try to flag), but it may be that it can't set enough monitors to allow it to tell what code(s) to flag. This can be a sort of Catch-22.

You may want the Training Guides on the site mentioned numbered 870 or other ones.

I'm not sure which if any has detailed drive cycle info for each monitor (the way the p20000.pdf file has for the similar year S-Type).

In term of getting more monitors to set, I think the Continuous Components may be the last. The O2 ought to be easy - well, I don't know your car in depth so I'm relying on what I know for other jags. You can use OBD to watch the O2 sensors and try to figure what the problem(s) may be.

I suspect it'll not use the EGR much if at all until it thinks all is happier so I'd concentrate on the O2 monitor for now.

Old 04-25-2020, 08:26 PM

Bumping this thread. Had my car sitting in the garage for the past two months fixing another issue but now ready to get it on the road and get these drive cycles completed again so I can take a smog test and complete my registration. I drove for 140 miles today most of it at 55 miles an hour, got home and scanned the computer and nothing had changed with any of the monitors, the OBDii scan looked exactly like the one I posted two months ago. Going to try again tomorrow, and just keep driving it. Unfortunately my registration is expired (I need to do the smog test to complete the registration renewal) so I can't actually legal drive the car on the road. I have a few one day vehicle moving permits I got from the DMV before everything shut down, but after I use those I'm out of luck. So give me your tips and tricks for completing these drive cycles.

Old 04-26-2020, 02:02 AM

Found this, don't know what the source of it is, can anyone confirm that this is the correct drive cycle procedure for the x308 jags?

Attached Files
Old 04-26-2020, 09:33 AM
Veteran Member
Received 1,111 Likes on 699 Posts

That sounds like the instructions I followed but I don't remember my set talking about what each phase actually tested. But exactly the difficulty I ran into. Where was I going to "coast" all the way from 55mph to 20mph without inspiring another driver into a road-rage incident? Heck, where was I going to drive a constant 55mph without encountering a Sammy Hagar fan? Maybe right now with everyone staying home due to the COVID19 you'll have better luck finding 10 miles of deserted rural highway.

Phil

Aarcuda (04-27-2020)
Old 04-26-2020, 11:41 AM

Originally Posted by pdupler
That sounds like the instructions I followed but I don't remember my set talking about what each phase actually tested. But exactly the difficulty I ran into. Where was I going to "coast" all the way from 55mph to 20mph without inspiring another driver into a road-rage incident? Heck, where was I going to drive a constant 55mph without encountering a Sammy Hagar fan? Maybe right now with everyone staying home due to the COVID19 you'll have better luck finding 10 miles of deserted rural highway.

Phil
That's exactly my problem, I could drive hours out of town to find an empty country highway but once I'd get there I'd have to wait hours for the engine to cool down to with 6 degree C of ambient air temperature in order to begin the drive cycle.
I'm also wondering if step 3 must be conducted from a stop. I can't just accelerate to 55 right out of my driveway, so do I need to get to a freeway on ramp come to a stop and them accelerate up to 55? And how much time do I have to do this from when I start my car in my driveway and drive to the on ramp?

Old 04-26-2020, 02:38 PM

Also I can't remember wear I saw or was told this but I seem to remember something about needing to do the driver cycle within 45 min of starting the car. Is this true? Can anyone confirm this?

Old 04-26-2020, 04:31 PM
Veteran Member
Received 4,535 Likes on 3,944 Posts

Almost always when a car just will not set the monitors it's because it has one or more faults. Generally it can't flag codes because with the monitors unset it hasn't enough data to know which codes to flag (A kind of Catch-22.)

Don B (04-26-2020)
Old 04-26-2020, 06:07 PM
Veteran Member

There are a number of drive cycle tests....this is a statement directly from the CA Smog Tips Support.

It is recommended to drive at least 300 miles over the course of a week in order to get your Jaguar XJ's emission monitors ready for the smog test. Usually driving in normal traffic on both city streets and highways completes the drive cycle. Sometimes however, due to individual driving habits/patterns, the drive cycle is not completed (or even initiated). That's when you have to follow a specific drive cycle designed for Jaguar vehicles.

Take extra caution when performing the drive cycle on city streets and highways as there are many stops, slow downs, and speed ups. Perform the drive cycle at your own risk. Ensure to follow all traffic laws.

Jaguar XJ Drive Cycle

The following procedure is designed to complete the OBD II monitors required to get your Jaguar to pass the OBD II monitors portion of the smog check, also known of the I/M readiness test. You may use a scan tool in order to monitor the status of the emission monitors as your Jaguar XJ is being driven.

The Engine Management and Transmission Control systems are continuously checked during vehicle operation by the Engine Control Module (ECM) and Transmission Control Module (TCM) on-board diagnostic (OBD) facilities. Powertrain OBD incorporates six diagnostic monitors. Each monitor has an associated group of DTCs. The diagnostic monitors will complete the diagnostic test(s) if a specified service "drive cycle" is carried out.

The six diagnostic monitors are as follows:

Heated Oxygen Sensors Monitor, Adaptive Fuel Monitor, Misfire Monitor, Catalyst Efficiency Monitor, Evaporative System Monitor, Comprehensive Component Monitor (Engine Management / Transmission).

Diagnostic Monitors Drive Cycle

You can ensure that an OBD monitor drive cycle is completed and that all or specific components have been checked by completing a specified drive cycle. Use the following drive cycles to confirm that the components and subsystems covered by the diagnostic monitors are operating correctly.

Heated Oxygen Sensors Monitor Drive Cycle

Upstream (Universal) oxygen sensors:

1. Ensure the engine is off and cooling fans are inoperative (not running) for less then 20 seconds.

2. Start the engine and bring it to normal operating temperature, above 180 F. This should be achieved when you notice the engine temperature gauge near center.

3. Begin driving. Drive the vehicle, keeping RPMs between 3000 - 4000 and at a steady speed.

4. Lift you foot completely off the accelerator and coast to a stop within 30 seconds. Do not touch accelerator pedal for 4 seconds after coming to a stop.

5. Repeat step 4.

6. Stop the vehicle and idle the engine for 11 minutes.

Downstream oxygen sensors:

1. Start the engine and bring it to normal operating temperature, above 108 F. If continuing the drive cycle from the Upstream O2 sensor section you may omit this line item.

2. Drive the vehicle steadily between 30 - 60 mph for 10 minutes. Drive the vehicle above 3000 RPM and in 4th gear at a steady speed.

3. Lift foot completely off accelerator and coast for 30 seconds.

Oxygen sensor heaters:

1. Start engine and bring to normal operating temperature, above 180 F.

2. Idle the engine for 3 minutes.

Adaptive Fuel Monitor Drive Cycle

1. Start the engine and bring it to normal operating temperature, above 180 F.

2. Allow the engine to idle for a minimum of 10 minutes.

Catalyst Efficiency Monitor Drive Cycle

2. Drive vehicle steadily keeping the RPMs between 1700 - 2500 for 5 minutes.

Evaporative System Monitor Drive Cycle

1. Ensure your Jaguar's fuel filler cap (gas cap) is fully closed. You should hear a minimum of three clicks when closing the gas cap.

2. Ensure your fuel tank level is between 30% to 85% full. An empty or completely full gas tank will not allow the EVAP monitor to run.

3. Drive the vehicle for a minimum of 2 minutes, and until engine is at normal operating temperature.

4. Stop the vehicle and switch off the ignition. Leave the ignition off for 30 seconds, then restart the engine.

5. Accelerate briskly to 50 mph ensuring that the engine speed reaches at least 3500 rpm for a minimum of 5 seconds.

6. Drive the vehicle steadily between 40 - 60 mph for at least 12 minutes.

7. Gently coast the vehicle to a stop. Allow the engine to idle for 2 minutes.
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Now, that was from CA, this is from the OBD guide and you can see some tests go hand in hand with others and it sometimes states why for the test. Which helps explain some of the X308 guidelines in the pdf.....
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Jaguar OBD Drive Cycle Readiness Notes

The Engine Management and Transmission Control systems are continuously checked during vehicle operation by the Engine Control Module (ECM) and Transmission Control Module (TCM) on-board diagnostic (OBD) facilities. Powertrain OBD incorporates diagnostic monitors. Each monitor has an associated group of DTCs. The diagnostic monitors will complete the diagnostic test(s) if a specified service "drive cycle" is carried out. The diagnostic monitors for your Jaguar may include:

-Heated Oxygen Sensors Monitor
-Adaptive Fuel Monitor Misfire Monitor
-Catalyst Efficiency Monitor
-Evaporative System Monitor
-Exhaust Gas Recirculation Monitor
-Drive Cycle Comprehensive Component Monitor (Engine Management / Transmission)

Jaguar recommends using WDS datalogger "TOTAL NUMBER OF DTC SET" to determine if transmission OBD monitoring has been completed.

These steps may or may not apply to your exact year and model of Jag but it doesn't hurt to follow these procedures if in doubt.

1. Engine OFF; cooling fans inoperative > 20 seconds.
2. Start engine and bring to normal operating temperature > 82 °C (180 °F).
3. Drive the vehicle between 3000 – 4000 rpm at a steady speed. Lift foot completely off accelerator and coast to a stop within 30 seconds. Do not touch accelerator pedal for 4 seconds after coming to a stop.
4. Repeat step 3.
5. Idle engine for 11 minutes.

1. Start engine and bring to normal operating temperature > 82 °C (180 °F).
2. Drive the vehicle steadily between 48 – 97 km/h (30 – 60 mph) for 10 minutes.
3. Drive the vehicle above 3000 rpm in 4th gear at a steady speed. Lift foot completely off accelerator and coast for 30 seconds.

Oxygen sensor heaters:

2. Idle engine for 3 minutes.

2. Idle for a minimum of 10 minutes.

Misfire Monitor Drive Cycle

-Record flagged DTC (s) and accompanying WDS DTC Monitor freeze frame(s) data.
-Fuel level > 25%.
-Start engine and bring to normal operating temperature > 82 °C (180 °F).
-Drive vehicle to the recorded freeze frame conditions (from step 1).
-Repeat several times

Note: If on the first trip, the misfire is severe enough to cause excess exhaust emission, the individual cylinder DTC plus DTC P1316 will be logged. The CHECK ENGINE MIL will not be activated. If the fault reoccurs on the second trip, the individual cylinder DTC plus DTC P1316 will be flagged, and the CHECK ENGINE MIL will be activated. If on the first trip, the misfire is severe enough to cause catalyst damage (more severe than excess exhaust emission), the CHECK ENGINE MIL will flash while the fault is present and the individual cylinder DTC plus DTC P1313 (bank 1), DTC P1314 (bank 2) will be logged. When the fault is no longer present the MIL will be deactivated. If the fault reoccurs on the second trip, the CHECK ENGINE MIL will flash while the fault is present and the individual cylinder DTC plus DTC P1313 (bank 1), DTC P1314 (bank 2) will be flagged. When the fault is no longer present the CHECK ENGINE MIL will be activated.

2. Drive vehicle steadily between 1700 – 2500 rpm for 5 minutes.

1. Ensure that fuel filler cap is fully closed (minimum three clicks).
2. Fuel level > 30% and < 85%.
3. Using WDS, perform ECM DTC Clear (even if no DTCs are flagged).
4. Drive vehicle for a minimum of 2 minutes, and until engine is at normal operating temperature.
5. Using WDS, ensure that the EVAP Canister Purge Valve is operating by observing "PURGE VAPOR MANAGEMENT VALVE – DUTY CYCLE". If the valve is not active, ECM adaptions have not been learned. Conduct a "green ECM" Drive Cycle as described in Technical Service Bulletin.
6. Drive vehicle to the road where the EVAP System Drive Cycle will be conducted.
Stop vehicle and switch OFF the ignition.
Leave ignition OFF for 30 seconds, then restart the engine.
7. Accelerate briskly to 80 km/h (50 mph) ensuring that the engine speed reaches a minimum of 3500 rpm for a minimum of 5 seconds.
8. (0.040 inch EVAP Test) View WDS "PURGE VAPOR MANAGEMENT VALVE – DUTY CYCLE", "CANISTER CLOSE VALVE – VAPOR RECOVERY SYSTEM", and FUEL TANK PRESSURE – VAPOR RECOVERY SYSTEM". Avoiding high engine loads, drive the vehicle steadily between 65 km/h (40 mph) and 100 km/h (60 mph). Avoid driving conditions that will produce excessive fuel movement. WDS should give an indication that the test is active (it may take up to 30 minutes before the test will initialize). When the test has initialized (EVAP Canister Close Valve CLOSED), it will take approximately 90 seconds for the test to complete.
9. (0.020 inch EVAP Test) Continue driving vehicle as explained in Step 8 for an additional 10 minutes.
10. Gently coast the vehicle to a stop. Allow the engine to idle for 2 minutes and view WDS "PURGE VAPOR MANAGEMENT VALVE – DUTY CYCLE", "CANISTER CLOSE VALVE – VAPOR RECOVERY SYSTEM", and FUEL TANK PRESSURE – VAPOR RECOVERY SYSTEM". WDS should give an indication that the test is active. When the test has initialized (EVAP Canister Close Valve CLOSED), it will take approximately 90 seconds for the test to complete.
11. If the 0.020 inch EVAP Test is not activated, the purge system vapor concentration may be too great. To reduce the vapor concentration proceed as follows:
12. Drive the vehicle for an additional 30 minutes avoiding driving conditions that will produce excessive fuel movement. Repeat Step 10.
If the 0.020 inch EVAP Test is still not activated, repeat the Drive Cycle from Step 6.
13. Using WDS, check for and clear flagged DTCs.

Exhaust Gas Recirculation (EGR) Monitor Drive Cycle

2. Drive the vehicle in 3rd gear at 2500 rpm. Maintain a steady speed for 1 minute, then lift foot completely off accelerator and coast for a minimum of 10 seconds.

Don B (04-26-2020)
Old 04-26-2020, 06:40 PM

There are a number of drive cycle tests....this is a statement directly from the CA Smog Tips Support.

It is recommended to drive at least 300 miles over the course of a week in order to get your Jaguar XJ's emission monitors ready for the smog test. Usually driving in normal traffic on both city streets and highways completes the drive cycle. Sometimes however, due to individual driving habits/patterns, the drive cycle is not completed (or even initiated). That's when you have to follow a specific drive cycle designed for Jaguar vehicles.

Take extra caution when performing the drive cycle on city streets and highways as there are many stops, slow downs, and speed ups. Perform the drive cycle at your own risk. Ensure to follow all traffic laws.

Jaguar XJ Drive Cycle

The following procedure is designed to complete the OBD II monitors required to get your Jaguar to pass the OBD II monitors portion of the smog check, also known of the I/M readiness test. You may use a scan tool in order to monitor the status of the emission monitors as your Jaguar XJ is being driven.

The Engine Management and Transmission Control systems are continuously checked during vehicle operation by the Engine Control Module (ECM) and Transmission Control Module (TCM) on-board diagnostic (OBD) facilities. Powertrain OBD incorporates six diagnostic monitors. Each monitor has an associated group of DTCs. The diagnostic monitors will complete the diagnostic test(s) if a specified service "drive cycle" is carried out.

The six diagnostic monitors are as follows:

Heated Oxygen Sensors Monitor, Adaptive Fuel Monitor, Misfire Monitor, Catalyst Efficiency Monitor, Evaporative System Monitor, Comprehensive Component Monitor (Engine Management / Transmission).

Diagnostic Monitors Drive Cycle

You can ensure that an OBD monitor drive cycle is completed and that all or specific components have been checked by completing a specified drive cycle. Use the following drive cycles to confirm that the components and subsystems covered by the diagnostic monitors are operating correctly.

1. Ensure the engine is off and cooling fans are inoperative (not running) for less then 20 seconds.

2. Start the engine and bring it to normal operating temperature, above 180 F. This should be achieved when you notice the engine temperature gauge near center.

3. Begin driving. Drive the vehicle, keeping RPMs between 3000 - 4000 and at a steady speed.

4. Lift you foot completely off the accelerator and coast to a stop within 30 seconds. Do not touch accelerator pedal for 4 seconds after coming to a stop.

5. Repeat step 4.

6. Stop the vehicle and idle the engine for 11 minutes.

1. Start the engine and bring it to normal operating temperature, above 108 F. If continuing the drive cycle from the Upstream O2 sensor section you may omit this line item.

2. Drive the vehicle steadily between 30 - 60 mph for 10 minutes. Drive the vehicle above 3000 RPM and in 4th gear at a steady speed.

3. Lift foot completely off accelerator and coast for 30 seconds.

Oxygen sensor heaters:

2. Idle the engine for 3 minutes.

1. Start the engine and bring it to normal operating temperature, above 180 F.

2. Allow the engine to idle for a minimum of 10 minutes.

2. Drive vehicle steadily keeping the RPMs between 1700 - 2500 for 5 minutes.

1. Ensure your Jaguar's fuel filler cap (gas cap) is fully closed. You should hear a minimum of three clicks when closing the gas cap.

2. Ensure your fuel tank level is between 30% to 85% full. An empty or completely full gas tank will not allow the EVAP monitor to run.

3. Drive the vehicle for a minimum of 2 minutes, and until engine is at normal operating temperature.

4. Stop the vehicle and switch off the ignition. Leave the ignition off for 30 seconds, then restart the engine.

5. Accelerate briskly to 50 mph ensuring that the engine speed reaches at least 3500 rpm for a minimum of 5 seconds.

6. Drive the vehicle steadily between 40 - 60 mph for at least 12 minutes.

7. Gently coast the vehicle to a stop. Allow the engine to idle for 2 minutes.

Now, that was from CA, this is from the OBD guide and you can see some tests go hand in hand with others and it sometimes states why for the test. Which helps explain some of the X308 guidelines in the pdf.....
Jaguar OBD Drive Cycle Readiness Notes

The Engine Management and Transmission Control systems are continuously checked during vehicle operation by the Engine Control Module (ECM) and Transmission Control Module (TCM) on-board diagnostic (OBD) facilities. Powertrain OBD incorporates diagnostic monitors. Each monitor has an associated group of DTCs. The diagnostic monitors will complete the diagnostic test(s) if a specified service "drive cycle" is carried out. The diagnostic monitors for your Jaguar may include:

-Heated Oxygen Sensors Monitor
-Adaptive Fuel Monitor Misfire Monitor
-Catalyst Efficiency Monitor
-Evaporative System Monitor
-Exhaust Gas Recirculation Monitor
-Drive Cycle Comprehensive Component Monitor (Engine Management / Transmission)

Jaguar recommends using WDS datalogger "TOTAL NUMBER OF DTC SET" to determine if transmission OBD monitoring has been completed.

These steps may or may not apply to your exact year and model of Jag but it doesn't hurt to follow these procedures if in doubt.

1. Engine OFF; cooling fans inoperative > 20 seconds.
2. Start engine and bring to normal operating temperature > 82 °C (180 °F).
3. Drive the vehicle between 3000 – 4000 rpm at a steady speed. Lift foot completely off accelerator and coast to a stop within 30 seconds. Do not touch accelerator pedal for 4 seconds after coming to a stop.
4. Repeat step 3.
5. Idle engine for 11 minutes.

2. Drive the vehicle steadily between 48 – 97 km/h (30 – 60 mph) for 10 minutes.
3. Drive the vehicle above 3000 rpm in 4th gear at a steady speed. Lift foot completely off accelerator and coast for 30 seconds.

Oxygen sensor heaters:

2. Idle engine for 3 minutes.

2. Idle for a minimum of 10 minutes.

Misfire Monitor Drive Cycle

-Record flagged DTC (s) and accompanying WDS DTC Monitor freeze frame(s) data.
-Fuel level > 25%.
-Start engine and bring to normal operating temperature > 82 °C (180 °F).
-Drive vehicle to the recorded freeze frame conditions (from step 1).
-Repeat several times

Note: If on the first trip, the misfire is severe enough to cause excess exhaust emission, the individual cylinder DTC plus DTC P1316 will be logged. The CHECK ENGINE MIL will not be activated. If the fault reoccurs on the second trip, the individual cylinder DTC plus DTC P1316 will be flagged, and the CHECK ENGINE MIL will be activated. If on the first trip, the misfire is severe enough to cause catalyst damage (more severe than excess exhaust emission), the CHECK ENGINE MIL will flash while the fault is present and the individual cylinder DTC plus DTC P1313 (bank 1), DTC P1314 (bank 2) will be logged. When the fault is no longer present the MIL will be deactivated. If the fault reoccurs on the second trip, the CHECK ENGINE MIL will flash while the fault is present and the individual cylinder DTC plus DTC P1313 (bank 1), DTC P1314 (bank 2) will be flagged. When the fault is no longer present the CHECK ENGINE MIL will be activated.

2. Drive vehicle steadily between 1700 – 2500 rpm for 5 minutes.

1. Ensure that fuel filler cap is fully closed (minimum three clicks).
2. Fuel level > 30% and < 85%.
3. Using WDS, perform ECM DTC Clear (even if no DTCs are flagged).
4. Drive vehicle for a minimum of 2 minutes, and until engine is at normal operating temperature.
5. Using WDS, ensure that the EVAP Canister Purge Valve is operating by observing "PURGE VAPOR MANAGEMENT VALVE – DUTY CYCLE". If the valve is not active, ECM adaptions have not been learned. Conduct a "green ECM" Drive Cycle as described in Technical Service Bulletin.
6. Drive vehicle to the road where the EVAP System Drive Cycle will be conducted.
Stop vehicle and switch OFF the ignition.
Leave ignition OFF for 30 seconds, then restart the engine.
7. Accelerate briskly to 80 km/h (50 mph) ensuring that the engine speed reaches a minimum of 3500 rpm for a minimum of 5 seconds.
8. (0.040 inch EVAP Test) View WDS "PURGE VAPOR MANAGEMENT VALVE – DUTY CYCLE", "CANISTER CLOSE VALVE – VAPOR RECOVERY SYSTEM", and FUEL TANK PRESSURE – VAPOR RECOVERY SYSTEM". Avoiding high engine loads, drive the vehicle steadily between 65 km/h (40 mph) and 100 km/h (60 mph). Avoid driving conditions that will produce excessive fuel movement. WDS should give an indication that the test is active (it may take up to 30 minutes before the test will initialize). When the test has initialized (EVAP Canister Close Valve CLOSED), it will take approximately 90 seconds for the test to complete.
9. (0.020 inch EVAP Test) Continue driving vehicle as explained in Step 8 for an additional 10 minutes.
10. Gently coast the vehicle to a stop. Allow the engine to idle for 2 minutes and view WDS "PURGE VAPOR MANAGEMENT VALVE – DUTY CYCLE", "CANISTER CLOSE VALVE – VAPOR RECOVERY SYSTEM", and FUEL TANK PRESSURE – VAPOR RECOVERY SYSTEM". WDS should give an indication that the test is active. When the test has initialized (EVAP Canister Close Valve CLOSED), it will take approximately 90 seconds for the test to complete.
11. If the 0.020 inch EVAP Test is not activated, the purge system vapor concentration may be too great. To reduce the vapor concentration proceed as follows:
12. Drive the vehicle for an additional 30 minutes avoiding driving conditions that will produce excessive fuel movement. Repeat Step 10.
If the 0.020 inch EVAP Test is still not activated, repeat the Drive Cycle from Step 6.
13. Using WDS, check for and clear flagged DTCs.

Exhaust Gas Recirculation (EGR) Monitor Drive Cycle

2. Drive the vehicle in 3rd gear at 2500 rpm. Maintain a steady speed for 1 minute, then lift foot completely off accelerator and coast for a minimum of 10 seconds.
Wow that much more comprehensive than the pdf posted above. Can those tests be preformed on right after the other or do they need to be done individually (i.e. you have to begin each test with idling the car to bring up to temperature, therefore you must let the car cool down between each test)

I just attempted a try using the version in the pdf I posted earlier, it was super sketchy coastin down to 20mph on a 60mph road, and it took foreever to slow down with out the brakes! I didn't get the whole cycle complete, kept getting interrupted by stoplights, hills, eventually I felt it was probably to long after starting the car. I parked it and did an obdii scan and it did not get a single monitor the change to ready. Here is another screengrab from my obdii scanner app, I sticked together two so you can see all the information. In total I've driven about 200 miles in the past two days, 90% highway driving at 55mph.

Old 04-26-2020, 08:48 PM
Veteran Member

Well, like I stated in red, some of these tests go hand in hand.

Old 04-26-2020, 11:25 PM
Received 13,186 Likes on 6,548 Posts

Hi OUScooby,

Sorry to join your thread late. First of all, there is not one drive cycle. There are several, one for each diagnostic readiness monitor.

I'm attaching a few documents that may be helpful. The first is the Powertrain DTC Summaries for the 2000 model year. The second is the same guide except for the 2001 model year, which I am including because page 3 explains a bit about drive cycles and monitoring conditions for each DTC. By finding DTCs relevant to your monitors that will not reset you may find specific drive cycle info that may help you reset those monitors or trigger the DTC by replicating the monitoring conditions. For example, for your heated catalyst monitor, look at DTCs like P0420 and P0430. For your oxygen sensor monitor, look at DTCs from P0131 to P0161. For your EGR monitor, look at DTCs P0400 to P0406.

The third and fourth documents are also Powertrain DTC Summaries manual but from 2004 and 2005. They contain very detailed drive cycles for all of the diagnostic monitors available in the 2004 / 2005 4.2L models, which had the Denso 32-bit engine management system. But since your AJ27 uses the Denso 16-bit EMS, it's possible the same drive cycles may work on your car.

Monitor your Short Term and Long Term Fuel Trims (STFT & LTFT). These should be close to zero, but no higher than 10 or lower than -10, which would indicate that your engine is running overly lean or rich, which will prevent several diagnostic monitors from resetting.

If you can get any DTCs to trigger, do not clear them immediately, because clearing them may reset some or all of your diagnostic readiness monitors, and DTCs will help you figure out why the monitors aren't resetting on their own.

One other thought is that low battery voltage can prevent diagnostic monitors from resetting, so you might have your battery and charging system tested by a good analyzer that can detect whether the battery can no longer provide its rated CCA or can no longer hold a 12.6 volt state of charge, or an alternator with excessive AC ripple, poor voltage regulation, etc.

Sorry I can't be more specific, but hopefully you can try some of the cycles in these documents and at the very least, hopefully you will trigger some DTCs that will tell you why your monitors won't reset.

Cheers,

Don

Last edited by Don B; 04-26-2020 at 11:52 PM.
The following 4 users liked this post by Don B:
93SB (07-08-2020), Aarcuda (04-27-2020), Highhorse (04-27-2020), MountainMan (07-08-2020)
Old 04-27-2020, 12:34 AM

Originally Posted by Don B
Hi OUScooby,

Sorry to join your thread late. First of all, there is not one drive cycle. There are several, one for each diagnostic readiness monitor.

I'm attaching a few documents that may be helpful. The first is the Powertrain DTC Summaries for the 2000 model year. The second is the same guide except for the 2001 model year, which I am including because page 3 explains a bit about drive cycles and monitoring conditions for each DTC. By finding DTCs relevant to your monitors that will not reset you may find specific drive cycle info that may help you reset those monitors or trigger the DTC by replicating the monitoring conditions. For example, for your heated catalyst monitor, look at DTCs like P0420 and P0430. For your oxygen sensor monitor, look at DTCs from P0131 to P0161. For your EGR monitor, look at DTCs P0400 to P0406.

The third and fourth documents are also Powertrain DTC Summaries manual but from 2004 and 2005. They contain very detailed drive cycles for all of the diagnostic monitors available in the 2004 / 2005 4.2L models, which had the Denso 32-bit engine management system. But since your AJ27 uses the Denso 16-bit EMS, it's possible the same drive cycles may work on your car.

Monitor your Short Term and Long Term Fuel Trims (STFT & LTFT). These should be close to zero, but no higher than 10 or lower than -10, which would indicate that your engine is running overly lean or rich, which will prevent several diagnostic monitors from resetting.

If you can get any DTCs to trigger, do not clear them immediately, because clearing them may reset some or all of your diagnostic readiness monitors, and DTCs will help you figure out why the monitors aren't resetting on their own.

One other thought is that low battery voltage can prevent diagnostic monitors from resetting, so you might have your battery and charging system tested by a good analyzer that can detect whether the battery can no longer provide its rated CCA or can no longer hold a 12.6 volt state of charge, or an alternator with excessive AC ripple, poor voltage regulation, etc.

Sorry I can't be more specific, but hopefully you can try some of the cycles in these documents and at the very least, hopefully you will trigger some DTCs that will tell you why your monitors won't reset.

Cheers,

Don
Thanks for the info, I was looking at the DTC you suggested and I feel like I have likely done these conditions, although I will try them tomorrow. A few of them are annoyingly vague, like "varied driving for 3 min).
I don't think the issue is with low battery voltage, I've got a new battery installed in January and I tested the output at idle of my alternator, both were good. I have no DTC at the moment and only one pending DTC of p1000 which is what you get when the emission testing checks are not ready.

Old 04-27-2020, 12:47 AM

Also wondering what is the timeframe to complete these drive cycles. Is there a certain amount of minutes I have from when starting the car to completing the drive cycle conditions? What about time between different drive cycles or different steps in the drive cycle?

Quick Reply: drive cycle clarification question