XJ XJ8 / XJR ( X308 ) 1997 - 2003

Driver door latch closed door open and won’t close

Search this Thread

Old 06-12-2021, 09:34 AM
Received 114 Likes on 78 Posts
Default Driver door latch closed door open and won’t close

The title says it all. I’ve taken a quick scan of the archives but don’t see a similar problem.

My alarm went off last night (maybe battery despite about six weeks new?) This AM I started the car without incident and I got a “driver’s door open) message. I messed around, could not get the light to switch off. In messing around, I pushed the latching mechanism and it went closed. So, the door’s open but the latch is stuck closed. Any way around this before having it hauled off to a jag-only shop to sort out. I’d settle for just being able to force open the latch so I could drive it there myself. I’ve tried to use a screwdriver to force it without success. Turning the key makes locking mechanisms move off the other 3 doors and I think I hear noise out of the suspect door but no latch action.

I’m not much of a DIY anymore but I know how to strip a door down if absolutely necessary.

Any quick replies appreciated as I don’t want it to sit with the door taped quasi-shut in my townhouse parking lot too long. In retrospect, I’m also wondering if a malfunctioning micro switch (no dash warning) might have been responsible for killing a 900CCA Interstate in just 6 months.

Thanks.

Last edited by eliotb; 06-12-2021 at 10:56 AM.
Old 06-12-2021, 09:46 AM
Veteran Member
Received 496 Likes on 377 Posts

Did you try unlocking the door and pulling a handle to open it?

Old 06-12-2021, 11:28 AM

Nilanium: Thanks for reminding me to do that. Sometimes the logic train shuts down in old brains. The problem is temporarily solved. I still have the “drivers door open” light, suggesting a micro switch issue in the latch that I’ll let my local Indy deal with.

State of play now is: (1) key and fob will unlock the doors and door can be opened with the outside handle, and from the inside with the inside handle/cable. Fob will not lock the doors and generates a beep; (2) as mentioned, the drivers door open light remains illuminated on dash; (3) doors do not automatically lock when driving/message and red warning light remain; and (4) when key locks door, there is a single beep (I assume from the security system) and a light flashes on the J-Gate console. I need to read up on that to understand what it is telling me.

Again, I appreciate the quick reminder to do the obvious. I’ll file that away in the “well, DUH” folder. At least now I do not have to worry about juggling a tow to somewhere to get it fixed. What is unclear is whether there’s been a battery drain associated with last night’s alarm and this morning’s warning light. I just hope the darn alarm does not go off again tonight! The car did start enthusiastically when I tried out the automatic door locking mechanism.

Eliot

Old 06-12-2021, 12:05 PM
Received 8,241 Likes on 4,971 Posts

The ERROR tone means that one of the doors or the boot lid is OPEN.

The BPM does not know the door is physically closed, it just sees the microswitch in the latch (even though it is faulty).

The doors will not lock until the latch is repaired.

Old 06-12-2021, 12:08 PM

Motorman: Thanks. And repaired promptly it shall be! I failed to add that I can lock all doors via the key. Or so it would seem.

Old 06-12-2021, 12:31 PM
Veteran Member
Received 896 Likes on 734 Posts

Maybe a little WD40 on that micro switch; and screwdriver in the locking pawl to assure it is unlocked . . . also a hard reset of the battery.

Old 06-12-2021, 01:47 PM

Jim: thanks. without pulling the door cover, I'll try to get a bunch of the magic elixir in there. the latch will move with the key and the fob when opening. Key will lock it, but Fob will not.

I'm trying to remember/find the hard reset process. Wave me off if I have it wrong: disconnect negative terminal, hold it against the positive terminal for a short while, then reattach.

Eliot

The following users liked this post:
Jhartz (06-12-2021)
Old 06-12-2021, 01:50 PM
Veteran Member
Received 896 Likes on 734 Posts

That is the simple way to to do a hard reset and hopefully turn off the warning. you may need to also reset your fobs: do a search, maybe in the stickies, for the simple instructions.

Old 06-12-2021, 04:57 PM

Oh rats, the alarm is still going off periodically. I’m thinking the battery has taken a hit from a drain of some sort. The car is unlocked at the movement. I hope it makes it through the night without waking up the neighborhood … again. I’m getting the feeling the system may have the passive feature as well as the regular alarm.

I don’t know if it will work, but I’ve pulled the battery for the night. Fingers crossed.

Last edited by eliotb; 06-12-2021 at 06:44 PM.
Old 06-13-2021, 02:33 PM

The mystery deepens! This AM I hooked the battery back up, drove on an errand that took 25-30 minutes of driving, parked at the location, did my errand then drove 20 minutes to another location and parked. No change in the "drivers door open" warning, refusal of the door to lock upon car movement, but OK to lock with key. I returned after a few minutes and ... drum roll please ... absolutely no warning, no hint anything had been awry, etc., etc., and so forth. I topped off the gas tank and, after a couple hours of the car sitting, took a 2.5-hour thoroughly uneventful recharging drive sans as much electrical use as I could shed (no radio, minimal google maps use, no-or=low AC for periods and no satellite radio).

So, I'll see if there is enough juice in the battery to keep the alarm at bay tonight, then go consult with my indy during the week to plot the next step in unraveling this mystery. You can't troubleshoot an electrical problem that is not occurring, or at least I think you can't. Beyond some other piddly stuff, my plan is to ask him to 1) check the state of charge and, if low, charge battery up, and 2) put the car to sleep and test for any abnormal drain and advise. I'll also get an estimate on the door latch replacement.

I thank everyone for your prior suggestions, and in advance for anything that flows from the next step. Great forum.

Eliot

Old 06-13-2021, 03:10 PM
Received 8,241 Likes on 4,971 Posts

The car will take approx 20 minutes to 'go-to-sleep'. (quiescent draw about 30ma)

The following users liked this post:
eliotb (06-14-2021)