XJ XJ8 / XJR ( X308 ) 1997 - 2003

Driver Side window and sunroof help!

Search this Thread

Old 02-06-2014, 09:29 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Driver Side window and sunroof help!

Hello all,

I'm new to Jags and new to the forum.

I recently purchased a 1999 XJR vin#sajpd1849xc873904 from a friend. I'm having issues with the driver's side window not rolling down and the sun roof opening, but closing on its own.

I've read multiple threads regarding this issue and I know about the battery reset. To be honest I'm a little hesitant about performing the procedure. 1. because of fear of damaging electronics and 2. because I don't have a copy of the radio code.

I also read that only 3 vehicles in the US have needed a code.

My question is should I go ahead and try the reset and risk causing damage or needing a radio code? Or is there a better way of going about this?

Thank you!

Old 02-06-2014, 07:17 PM
Received 170 Likes on 134 Posts

I don't think North American spec cars have a radio code. Why not take the car to a dealer and verify if a code is needed?

What "damage" do you think you are risking if you perform a hard reset?

Old 02-06-2014, 09:14 PM

Originally Posted by mikebaker3
I don't think North American spec cars have a radio code. Why not take the car to a dealer and verify if a code is needed?

What "damage" do you think you are risking if you perform a hard reset?
I've been thinking of taking it to the dealership. I probably will this weekend. As far as the damage I'm talking about, I don't know much about batteries and electric currents. But, touching the cables together seems a bit dangerous. I'm worried it will fry the electronics or short the battery meaning I would have to replace it.

Old 02-06-2014, 10:40 PM
Received 20 Likes on 19 Posts

I have come to the conclusion that one can not call themselves a true jaguar enthusiast unless they have had the problem you describe. It is very common. Therefore, if it were me I would just do the hard re-set.

There is one caveat, however, as i was in your spot about 6 months ago. By doing the re-set you will also clear out your on-board emissions settings meaning if you have to have your car inspected soon the inspection station will not be able to do a proper emissions test .you will have to do additional driving and put miles on the car until the computer will release or allow the emissions testing to be done.When this happened to me i did not loose the radio code. as indicated only an issue if your inspection is due and you need a new sticker....good luck

Old 02-06-2014, 11:04 PM

Originally Posted by jagjunky
I have come to the conclusion that one can not call themselves a true jaguar enthusiast unless they have had the problem you describe. It is very common. Therefore, if it were me I would just do the hard re-set.

There is one caveat, however, as i was in your spot about 6 months ago. By doing the re-set you will also clear out your on-board emissions settings meaning if you have to have your car inspected soon the inspection station will not be able to do a proper emissions test .you will have to do additional driving and put miles on the car until the computer will release or allow the emissions testing to be done.When this happened to me i did not loose the radio code. as indicated only an issue if your inspection is due and you need a new sticker....good luck
I think I'll go ahead perform the hard reset. If in the event I do need a code, the dealership is only about a 20 minute drive. Thank you for the help.