XJ XJ8 / XJR ( X308 ) 1997 - 2003

Driver's Door Doesn't Stay Propped Open!

Search this Thread

Old 07-02-2015, 02:52 AM
Received 34 Likes on 20 Posts
Default Driver's Door Doesn't Stay Propped Open!

1998 XJR...drivers door doesn't stay propped open. Hasn't since I got the car, so I'm not sure exactly what to try and fix. All other doors stay open as they should. I am fairly certain it has to do with the black "rod" in the middle of the door between the hinges, but not sure where to even start with that. Also, when I close the door, it sounds as if there is something loose/rattling inside the door. Maybe the black rod piece? Not sure.

Old 07-02-2015, 10:14 AM
Received 59 Likes on 47 Posts

The "black rod" piece you're referring to is known as the door check arm. It seems it is common for these to fail on these cars. If you take the door panel off you can see it, and where it mounts to the car. The common places for it to break is for it to literally break the metal on the door that it attaches to, the fix for this is simply some big washers and new nuts/bolts.
The other common spot for it to break, as it did on mine is the joint that attaches to the frame of the car.
I will upload some photos later on today and show you what it is I mean.

Old 07-02-2015, 10:23 AM

Originally Posted by Bcrary3
The "black rod" piece you're referring to is known as the door check arm. It seems it is common for these to fail on these cars. If you take the door panel off you can see it, and where it mounts to the car. The common places for it to break is for it to literally break the metal on the door that it attaches to, the fix for this is simply some big washers and new nuts/bolts.
The other common spot for it to break, as it did on mine is the joint that attaches to the frame of the car.
I will upload some photos later on today and show you what it is I mean.
Thank you, hopefully it will be something minor like that.

Old 07-02-2015, 12:48 PM

If it's broken where it mounts to the door, that's a pretty easy fix, however if it is broken where it bolts to the frame, it would require replacement, which is about $100

Old 07-02-2015, 12:58 PM

If it's broken where it mounts to the door, that's a pretty easy fix, however if it is broken where it bolts to the frame, it would require replacement, which is about $100
The arm is still attached to the frame side, and it is still inside the hole on the door itself. The door just doesn't stay propped. I assume it is broken where it mounts to the inside of the door.

Old 07-02-2015, 12:59 PM

To know for sure it requires removal of the door panel, which is pretty simple.

Old 07-02-2015, 01:01 PM

To know for sure it requires removal of the door panel, which is pretty simple.
I will have to do it later this evening. Been meaning to remove the panel anyhow due to the speaker cover being cracked and pushed inwards

Old 07-02-2015, 01:03 PM

I very strongly recommend not messing with the speaker cover, I did that on mine, and it's literally stapled onto the door panel. Kind of a royal pain in the *** to mess with.

Old 07-02-2015, 01:50 PM
GGG
Received 16,864 Likes on 12,186 Posts

You will probably find the Check Arm has torn the metal of the door - it's a weak spot. This is the driver's door on my RHD X308:

Driver's Door Doesn't Stay Propped Open!-01-osf-door-check-arm-damage.jpg

Driver's Door Doesn't Stay Propped Open!-05-osf-door-repaired.jpg

Usually an easy repair using large flat washers.

Graham

Old 07-02-2015, 01:56 PM

Thanks for the photos, GGG!

What's wrong with mine, on the second photo, that brass part that attaches to the frame on mine is broken

Old 07-02-2015, 07:06 PM

Originally Posted by GGG
You will probably find the Check Arm has torn the metal of the door - it's a weak spot. This is the driver's door on my RHD X308:

Attachment 114893

Attachment 114894

Usually an easy repair using large flat washers.

Graham
How would I fix the arm if mine is like your picture shows?

Old 07-02-2015, 07:31 PM

Basically where the metal is cracked, you would use a large flat washer on that area and use a bolt to hold it all together. GGG can probably explain it better than I can, I haven't actually had to make such a repair yet, so I am only going off of what I have read.

Old 07-02-2015, 09:08 PM

Basically where the metal is cracked, you would use a large flat washer on that area and use a bolt to hold it all together. GGG can probably explain it better than I can, I haven't actually had to make such a repair yet, so I am only going off of what I have read.
How would I bolt it in? Would I need to drill a hole into the door or?

Old 07-02-2015, 09:11 PM
Received 8,179 Likes on 4,934 Posts

The door 'popped,popped,popped' for a while and you ignored the noise. It is a common fault and there are repairs for both the sheet metal and the check arm.

My 1999 XJ8 did this a few weeks ago. The check arm broke and the sheet metal cracked/broke within a few days.

I replaced the check arm and placed several large washers on the studs/nuts BEFORE the sheet metal was completely torn. All is well now BUT..........................................

If the sheet metal tears out and large portions of the check arm mount area is GONE, then a body shop might be needed for proper repair.

You will need to asses the damage and decide.

bob gauff

Old 07-02-2015, 09:20 PM

Originally Posted by motorcarman
The door 'popped,popped,popped' for a while and you ignored the noise. It is a common fault and there are repairs for both the sheet metal and the check arm.

My 1999 XJ8 did this a few weeks ago. The check arm broke and the sheet metal cracked/broke within a few days.

I replaced the check arm and placed several large washers on the studs/nuts BEFORE the sheet metal was completely torn. All is well now BUT..........................................

If the sheet metal tears out and large portions of the check arm mount area is GONE, then a body shop might be needed for proper repair.

You will need to asses the damage and decide.

bob gauff
I did not ignore any noise, I purchased the car this way. There are several issues with it that I am attending to all at once, as it doesn't seem the car was taken care of in the best of ways. But I will nurse it slowly but surely.

Old 07-03-2015, 12:46 PM
Veteran Member
Received 155 Likes on 128 Posts

xjrjag - this thread should help. It give a very good description of the door check and how to repair. https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/x...art-how-36075/

Old 07-03-2015, 02:13 PM

Originally Posted by clyons
xjrjag - this thread should help. It give a very good description of the door check and how to repair. https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/x...art-how-36075/
Thanks! Just what I needed to figure things out

Old 07-03-2015, 11:34 PM

It indeed took about 2 hours. This was due to me having to go to 2 different auto parts stores after realizing I bought too big of washers and one of the nuts on the arm bracket was actually missing.

Parts needed are 4 M6 fender washers and 2 M6 flange nuts (if yours are missing) Biggest obstacle was bending the metal back and getting it semi lined up again. All is good now!

Old 09-27-2022, 07:31 AM
Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by xjrjag
1998 XJR...drivers door doesn't stay propped open. Hasn't since I got the car, so I'm not sure exactly what to try and fix. All other doors stay open as they should. I am fairly certain it has to do with the black "rod" in the middle of the door between the hinges, but not sure where to even start with that. Also, when I close the door, it sounds as if there is something loose/rattling inside the door. Maybe the black rod piece? Not sure.
Mine too on my ‘99 Sovereign 4L. I exposed the offending item by removing the door card( one screw in armrest and one behind small cover behind interior door handle, and removed it. Just two (9mm, think) nuts, bolts are captive so no need to get a spanner inside the door, below and above the stay rod and the hinge pin ( one nut same as the other two and tap the pin through. Mine has snapped off the lower right angled bent steel of the mount and the other cracked halfway through. The door metal where the bolt passes through is torn. I tapped tha as flat as I could and will put washers on to spread the load. I’m looking for a good used one or get it welded up. I suspect that this item is the same for many models in the XJ range? Hopefully someone will be able to answer that question,

Old 09-27-2022, 09:28 AM
Veteran Member
Received 425 Likes on 353 Posts

https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/x...art-how-36075/

If you read through that link, I suspect you will see exactly how to address your need,

Quick Reply: Driver's Door Doesn't Stay Propped Open!