XJ XJ8 / XJR ( X308 ) 1997 - 2003

Driver's Seat - Jaguar XJR-15

Search this Thread

Old 11-03-2018, 07:15 PM
Received 28 Likes on 18 Posts
Default Driver's Seat - Jaguar XJR-15

I just put together a short write up on the view from the F40's Drivers Seat Drivers Seat XJR-15 Please let me know what you think of it. Thanks.

Jaguar XJR-15

The following users liked this post:
Highhorse (11-04-2018)
Old 11-04-2018, 02:06 AM
Veteran Member
Received 474 Likes on 355 Posts

I enjoyed that article, it’s interesting to read about the car. To be honest it’s not a car I know an awful lot about, although I like it. However the ultimate Jaguar I’d like to own is the XJ220. If I ever win the lottery that is car number one on my list.

Old 11-04-2018, 07:02 AM
Veteran Member
Received 1,797 Likes on 1,319 Posts

I really like the article, I felt like I was getting into the car through you. Your detail and description was concise and having never been in the vehicle, I could understand each moment you entailed. I've only been in an American stock car in a controlled ride around (except for my teenage yrs moving my neighbors dirt track car around). But this sounds like a similar event, from the intense rousing rumble of engine noise to getting in and out to the seeming need to put on a helmet for a ride to get some milk. Your driving description is that of a true race car re-wrapped with 2 cushioned seats (I didn't see a passenger headrest btw?) and what appears to be no arm room with a passenger. I have to ask, why doesn't the passenger get a "hold on bar", even a roller coaster has it? Which this reminded me of why I want to get rid of my Corvette. Though the Vette is a totally different animal, the low slung getting in and out gets old the older I get. For the Jag, the high revs, swift tight linkage shift, responsive go where you turn steering and the want to keep going after the momentum is under you is the reward of such a machine though.
But the brought down to earth, use your butt cheeks to scootch over while performing a gymnastic move to get out is not for the older person and not a night on the town car. Overall you describe the car for what it is, ...a race car..., a car meant to perform at all aspects on the edge of control (and sometimes over).

The design seems of a mix of the Acura NSX and the McClaren P1. Not that that's a bad thing, just my vision.
One thing I don't understand is, why would anyone buy such a car to put it on the street? Use it for what it was intended...race it, ...put it on a trailer and go to the track and let it perform for you. Let the surly bonds of restricted street driving be unleashed. You'll never be able to use its true calling in public and if anything, feel pathetic and frustrated not being able to turn it out without the local constable serving you a notice of your dastardly deeds. Amongst revving to 2 grand and launch, only to go 100 yds to the next light, time and again. Which may leave you feeling more mentally drained than the drive itself you describe. I can only see this vehicle (or those like it) on the street as a substitute for the insecurity of ones self.

She's a beautiful car, looong legs...errr, I mean looong lines and blue eyes...dang it, ...blue paint you can look into and adore.
If what I've written is any proof to you how well you wrote that, ...please take this as a compliment.

Old 11-04-2018, 07:12 AM

Originally Posted by Highhorse
I really like the article, I felt like I was getting into the car through you. Your detail and description was concise and having never been in the vehicle, I could understand each moment you entailed. I've only been in an American stock car in a controlled ride around (except for my teenage yrs moving my neighbors dirt track car around). But this sounds like a similar event, from the intense rousing rumble of engine noise to getting in and out to the seeming need to put on a helmet for a ride to get some milk. Your driving description is that of a true race car re-wrapped with 2 cushioned seats (I didn't see a passenger headrest btw?) and what appears to be no arm room with a passenger. I have to ask, why doesn't the passenger get a "hold on bar", even a roller coaster has it? Which this reminded me of why I want to get rid of my Corvette. Though the Vette is a totally different animal, the low slung getting in and out gets old the older I get. For the Jag, the high revs, swift tight linkage shift, responsive go where you turn steering and the want to keep going after the momentum is under you is the reward of such a machine though.
But the brought down to earth, use your butt cheeks to scootch over while performing a gymnastic move to get out is not for the older person and not a night on the town car. Overall you describe the car for what it is, ...a race car..., a car meant to perform at all aspects on the edge of control (and sometimes over).

The design seems of a mix of the Acura NSX and the McClaren P1. Not that that's a bad thing, just my vision.
One thing I don't understand is, why would anyone buy such a car to put it on the street? Use it for what it was intended...race it, ...put it on a trailer and go to the track and let it perform for you. Let the surly bonds of restricted street driving be unleashed. You'll never be able to use its true calling in public and if anything, feel pathetic and frustrated not being able to turn it out without the local constable serving you a notice of your dastardly deeds. Amongst revving to 2 grand and launch, only to go 100 yds to the next light, time and again. Which may leave you feeling more mentally drained than the drive itself you describe. I can only see this vehicle (or those like it) on the street as a substitute for the insecurity of ones self.

She's a beautiful car, looong legs...errr, I mean looong lines and blue eyes...dang it, ...blue paint you can look into and adore.
If what I've written is any proof to you how well you wrote that, ...please take this as a compliment.
Many thanks. Very insightful on the design. Peter Stevens penned both the XJR-15 and the McLaren F1. In terms of driving it on the public roads vs. track, I have done both. On the track it is a bit compromised as it is set up for road usage and needs to be lowered, on an empty back country road when you can get it flowing, it is a wonderful thing to pilot.

The following users liked this post:
Highhorse (11-04-2018)
Old 11-04-2018, 04:09 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,360 Likes on 1,070 Posts

I haven't read the article, saving it for a train journey
As a young man I took a swipe round Europe - managed to arrive in Monaco as the GP wagon turned up. The support race was a field of XJR15 cars driven by pro and am drivers. They're a unicorn car to me. That flat bark of the V12 mated to a full carbon tub, wonderful analog car.

Old 11-04-2018, 05:34 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,352 Likes on 927 Posts

If you want the visualization after reading the wonderful story (thank you!), I can advice you to watch the below.
By far the best and most humble car review of a car ever made.

Old 11-05-2018, 04:54 PM

Originally Posted by ericjansen
If you want the visualization after reading the wonderful story (thank you!), I can advice you to watch the below.
By far the best and most humble car review of a car ever made.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FKbVQEBuemQ
That is my old XJR-15 with the new owner. He is a great guy.

Old 11-10-2018, 11:05 AM

Originally Posted by Sean B
I haven't read the article, saving it for a train journey
As a young man I took a swipe round Europe - managed to arrive in Monaco as the GP wagon turned up. The support race was a field of XJR15 cars driven by pro and am drivers. They're a unicorn car to me. That flat bark of the V12 mated to a full carbon tub, wonderful analog car.
There were 3 races for the XJR-15s. Final prize was $1 million

Old 11-21-2018, 01:18 PM

we just did a major security update on karenable.com. The new secure url is: https://karenable.com Please use this as a lot of the older links no longer work.