XJ XJ8 / XJR ( X308 ) 1997 - 2003

DRL Sensor Gone Missing

Search this Thread

Old 06-02-2017, 03:11 PM
Received 28 Likes on 22 Posts
Default DRL Sensor Gone Missing

2002 XJR-100:

So the other day I went to remove the piece of plastic trim at the front of the dash surrounding my DRL sensor (what a PITA!) When I finally got it out, it was broken into a million pieces, so I removed the DRL sensor and tucked it back into the hole at the front of the dash where I planned to leave it until I was able to hit the wreckers and find a replacement trim piece. Today I pulled the requisite trim out of an X308 at the wreckers, but when I went to replace it, the sensor had disappeared - it was gone! Is there a chance that while driving for the last couple of weeks, it got pulled back inside the dash somewhere? I would think this is unlikely as it still had the big DRL sensor attached to it, but nevertheless it appears to be gone!

Does anyone have a wiring diagram for this sensor so that I can attempt to trace it? As always, your assistance is appreciated

Old 06-02-2017, 08:40 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,813 Likes on 1,328 Posts

Oh ok, I am correcting my previous post...now I think I know what your talking about. The defrost windscreen vent, top of dash center?
Take off your center wood vent cover and disassemble the directional vent and remove it. Take a piece of cardboard and cut to fit in the air diverter, your trying to see if you can catch it when you turn the car on and function your vent controls to get the ducts to cycle. If it doesn't fall through, take a small vacuum attachment to fit down in the vent area on top. But before turning on the vacuum, put one of your wife's or girlfriends nylons over the attachment at the hose connection side to catch the piece if it sucks it up. You want it to go into the attachment so it doesn't get knocked off, so your not chasing it again. Hopefully either of these works for you.
If you've already cycled your ventilation, it may be in your duct system. For either scenario, you may have to rig a piece of flexible somewhat rigid hose and poke around for it.

Last edited by Highhorse; 06-02-2017 at 09:00 PM.
The following users liked this post:
KidRock'n (06-03-2017)
Old 06-02-2017, 09:30 PM
Received 8,246 Likes on 4,973 Posts

The Climate Control Solar Sensor has nothing to do with Daytime Running Lights as far as I know. We don't have the DRL mandate here in Texas.

Look in the CLIMATE CONTROL section of the electrical guide.

bob

Daim (06-03-2017)
Old 06-03-2017, 06:34 AM
Veteran Member

So Bob, this is a Euro only thing (which I thought), but isn't where I thought it was in the defrost vent? When he said it disintegrated into a million pieces, that's why I thought it was there.

Old 06-03-2017, 10:55 AM

Hi guys, thanks for getting back to me so quickly. Bob may be right that it is the Climate Solar Sensor, mounted in the windshield defrost vent (as per Highhorse's accurate description). When I busted the vent plastic while removing it, the sensor was still neatly attached to its wiring and operating fine. I just tucked it back into the hole still attached to the connector and carried on my way. 2 weeks later it has disappeared and fear it may have been sucked inside the dash somehow. The confusing part is that it's still attached to the connector and wiring..somewhere. I don't have to worry about losing it again once I find it, luckily. I guess the first step is to get that dash pad off and go hunting!

Old 07-04-2017, 12:06 PM

Hi guys,

Does anyone have a guide to how remove the dash pad in an X308? Looked on the forum, YouTube and Google, but no luck so far...is this because it's as simple as removing the 2 bolts on either side of the dash behind the little plastic covers and lifting up? Any insight would be appreciated.

Thanks muchly

Old 07-04-2017, 03:07 PM
Veteran Member

The is from the manual on JagRepair.com ...yes, this is the dash assembly, but its the only thing I've found regarding what I will be doing. I have to remove mine to get to the duct directional unit to replace the seals. I'm counting on about 2 days of work. I hope to find the mounting points to remove just to dash top.

KidRock'n (07-04-2017)
Old 07-04-2017, 03:59 PM

Holy smokes that looks like quite the procedure! Thanks for the information, my friend! Have a guy coming to look at the car tonight, so wish me luck!