XJ XJ8 / XJR ( X308 ) 1997 - 2003

Drove my 2001 Jaguar XJ8 from Pasadena to Savannah

Search this Thread

Old 04-07-2022, 09:39 AM
Received 56 Likes on 18 Posts
Default Drove my 2001 Jaguar XJ8 from Pasadena to Savannah

I thought this post might benefit others contemplating driving their own 21 year old XJ8 with 189,000 miles on the clock the 2193 miles from Pasadena, CA to Savannah, GA. My Jaguar (known to SNG Barrett as Lord Donnington) has had a lot of known trouble areas corrected (upgraded A drum in the transmission, transmission mount, ABS contacts re-flowed, new pinion seal and parts, new rear oil seal, new fuel pump) I also replaced the evap system stuff, new coolant spider hose and other small plastic coolant hose connections, new O2 sensors, thermostat, expansion tank, repaired hood release cable issue, new front suspension bushings, new rear brake pads and rotors and lots of other little things like light panel bulbs and steering column cable, and best of all - my front seats recovered in Connolly Autolux so the entire seat is now leather instead of just the badly worn seating surfaces. Recovering the seat was the most glorious aspect of the long drive east. My car had been sitting at a friend's house for the past year as I had switched jobs and was now located in Savannah, GA. It was time to unburden his stewardship and bring the Jaguar to its new home. During that time the car started to have dead battery issues, for example a fully charged battery would not be able to hold a charge over two days of sitting idle. When I got to Burbank's Bob Hope airport my friend drove the XJ8 over to pick me up. It looked so good snaking through the heavy traffic toward the parked cars awaiting arriving passengers. After dropping him home I drove on to Pasadena for several days of prep and visiting of friends before embarking on my journey on Monday March 21. My brother-in-law was flying in to make the drive with me as his brother lived in Altadena and we had a golf game on the books for the Sunday before. On Saturday morning I got in to turn the key and Lord Donnington wouldn't start. I jumped the battery and the engine started right up so not wanting to have this issue on the long drive I headed off to Pep Boys to get a new AGM battery installed. They gave me a credit for my year old battery and I paid the difference. With a new battery in place I felt ready for the drive. I spent Sunday golfing and then returned to my Airbnb to pack and check the car over. The front pads had about a third of the pad left (Akebono's with 45K on them) and I felt ready for the morning start at 8am. Monday came and I went out to start the car and it wouldn't even click. I could hear the starter move forward but no click.Shoot. Do I call off the journey? Would this be an ongoing problem throughout the drive? I jumped the car and got it going and decided to forge ahead in spite of this issue. I picked up my brother-in-law Bill at his brother's house, snapped the photo of our optimistic selves with wide grins leaning against the hood of the Jaguar (I am in the orange Molteni jersey)and we started off to a gas station. I decided that we would always keep the car running as we refueled so we wouldn't be caught with a no start situation. I only had a battery charger at this point (which had a feature of giving an emergency charge but required a long extension cord) but before the first day was out I pulled into a Walmart in Barstow and keeping the car running I ran in to buy a portable charger. That gave us peace of mind as we continued to make our first day. At one refueling stop with the engine running the gas cap door wouldn't unlock to allow me to access the fuel cap! We did shut off the engine then and the fuel door unlocked but that hadn't happened on prior engine running refuelings. After awhile we trusted the car enough to turn it off and it would happily restart for us every time the rest of the four day journey without the use of the charger so I suspect the battery drain was due to either an issue with the security module or the battery just needed 10 hour days of driving to be fully charged. I still don't know the answer but I suspect the security module because we also had many times when my driver door wouldn't open once we had stopped and shut off the engine. We would try the remote and that would unlock the doors but sometimes it wouldn't work and I had to climb over to the passenger door (which would open for some reason) to get out. That made me the primary driver as Bill had recent knee surgery and would not be able to shimmy over in case he got stuck with a non-opening door while driving. It's an odd issue.

Our entire journey was a delight. The Jaguar XJ8 (Lord Donnington) is a supremely comfortable riding automobile-we glided along at 75mph averaging 24.5mpg. Out best mileage was 27mpg as we drove from Albuquerque to Amarillo. We did encounter some snow and freezing rain on the long climb out of Albuquerque but the Jaguar handled the situation well. I was glad I had fairly new tires on all four corners. The defrost system on our cars works brilliantly and the lone wiper had severed its washer fluid line (it was original and had dried out and cracked itself to death in the Southern California heat) So I had to use an Autozone rubber hose and made that work. It wasn't pretty but it got fluid to the windscreen. I have since replaced it with the actual Jaguar hose and also replaced the washer element. We spent 10-11 hour days driving and I always felt great after those long days. The seats were supremely comfortable and the lumbar control helped relieve my lower back around hour 5. I had also added the heated seat elements when the seats were recovered and that was nice as well on our cold mornings. The engine only needed me to add 1 quart of Castrol full synthetic 5w-30 . We rolled into Savannah on our fourth day and I pulled into our driveway and parked the XJ into it's waiting spot ahead of my wife's Mercedes CLK350. It is out there now. Resting. I have only driven it one day since our arrival and it started right up. I will go out and start it today as well to see how it is doing. I still want to have the security module worked on to see if that fixes the door locking/unlocking issue.

When I mentioned to my transmission guy that I was going to drive Lord Donnington across the country he said a little too quickly, "I wouldn't do it. I would never try that" Which was a little disconcerting but we did do it. Lord Donnington got us out of several issues with merging tractor trailers and a lane wandering Subaru with its still powerful engine and capable handling. We were always comfortable inside with heated seats or the A/C blasting and overall it was a truly great trip.

-Lord Donnington
Savannah, GA

Starting out near the Rose Bowl

Heading into rain and snow in Albuquerque

Early morning out of Mclean, TX

Somewhere...

Our cars are surprisingly small. Long, but small at the same time.

The glorious Connolly hides...

Dropping off Bill at the Savannah/Hilton Head airport Hampton Inn

After a well-deserved bath...

r

Last edited by Lord Donnington; 04-08-2022 at 01:21 AM. Reason: error
The following 12 users liked this post by Lord Donnington:
c16rkc (04-07-2022), GGG (04-25-2022), Highhorse (04-23-2022), IanBakersFinch (04-11-2022), jeff xj8 (04-27-2022), Jhartz (04-07-2022), Ken Cantor (04-08-2022), King Charles (04-27-2022), MsMaybe98 (04-25-2022), sklimii (04-07-2022), The_Ikon (04-11-2022), V7Sport (04-08-2022) and 7 others liked this post. (Show less...)
Old 04-07-2022, 09:51 AM
Received 102 Likes on 89 Posts

What a magnificent trip! I am so pleased you made it OK!

About 15 years ago I had one of these (a year 2000 model) as a daily driver, and it never let me down. I think the issues on these cars tend to be age related now, but I am pleased to read that you did not have any serious trouble.

Thank you for taking the time to do the write up and post the pictures.

Old 04-07-2022, 05:10 PM
Received 195 Likes on 124 Posts

Enjoyed your post. Martin Milner and George Maharis would be proud.

The following 2 users liked this post by pcolapacker:
c16rkc (04-08-2022), eliotb (04-12-2022)
Old 04-08-2022, 05:08 AM
Received 107 Likes on 74 Posts

Absolutely outstanding. I'd love to have made that drive. I usually go to Tybee annually in whatever is my current Jag from DC (now an '03 VDP), though after the last trip a quick ride on UA has a great deal of attraction.

I commend you on all the hose replacements. That's on the eventual to-do list for me. Your car is beautiful. My current ride is Quartz with charcoal interior, but the previous one was a red '06 VDP, sadly slain by a tree.

Cheers.

The following 3 users liked this post by eliotb:
c16rkc (04-08-2022), IanBakersFinch (04-11-2022), Ken Cantor (04-08-2022)
Old 04-08-2022, 04:07 PM
Veteran Member
Received 2,537 Likes on 831 Posts

What a great post - thank you for documenting and sharing your trip.

I have always been of the opinion that as beautiful and well-loved as most of our Jags are, at their heart they are still automobiles meant to be driven, not parked. When well maintained and in reasonably good condition, there is no reason they shouldn't be used and enjoyed exactly as you demonstrated. I have twice picked up "new to me" Jags that were purchased sight unseen (although with full records) and then flying out and driving them back 1,500 km and I will be doing it again next month for the third time. Twice we've taken holidays putting on between 3,000 and 4,000 km in two weeks or less. All were done in Jags more than 15 years old and the only "precautionary" luggage taken was a full set of hoses. The only mishaps were a single blown fuse and one blown radiator hose (no disaster when you immediately turn it off and coast to a stop and have a spare. ).

I hope you continue to enjoy the ride!

The following users liked this post:
c16rkc (04-11-2022)
Old 04-11-2022, 10:05 AM
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

I have an 06 xjl with 160,000 miles as my daily driver, going 110miles RT at highway speeds. I make a run from Charlottesville down to Georgia at least once a quarter, and am about to take a trip to Destin for a golf week. It has been super dependable which means it may sh** the bed on this trip but it's the life I chose. Great writeup and that had to be a fun trip.

The following 2 users liked this post by IanBakersFinch:
c16rkc (04-11-2022), eliotb (04-12-2022)
Old 04-11-2022, 11:37 AM
Received 46 Likes on 41 Posts

Originally Posted by ianbakersfinch
it has been super dependable which means it may sh** the bed on this trip.
🤔🤣

Old 04-11-2022, 11:40 AM
Received 46 Likes on 41 Posts

Originally Posted by Lord Donnington
I thought this post might benefit others contemplating driving their own 21 year old XJ8 with 189,000 miles on the clock the 2193 miles from Pasadena, CA to Savannah, GA. My Jaguar (known to SNG Barrett as Lord Donnington) has had a lot of known trouble areas corrected (upgraded A drum in the transmission, transmission mount, ABS contacts re-flowed, new pinion seal and parts, new rear oil seal, new fuel pump) I also replaced the evap system stuff, new coolant spider hose and other small plastic coolant hose connections, new O2 sensors, thermostat, expansion tank, repaired hood release cable issue, new front suspension bushings, new rear brake pads and rotors and lots of other little things like light panel bulbs and steering column cable, and best of all - my front seats recovered in Connolly Autolux so the entire seat is now leather instead of just the badly worn seating surfaces. Recovering the seat was the most glorious aspect of the long drive east. My car had been sitting at a friend's house for the past year as I had switched jobs and was now located in Savannah, GA. It was time to unburden his stewardship and bring the Jaguar to its new home. During that time the car started to have dead battery issues, for example a fully charged battery would not be able to hold a charge over two days of sitting idle. When I got to Burbank's Bob Hope airport my friend drove the XJ8 over to pick me up. It looked so good snaking through the heavy traffic toward the parked cars awaiting arriving passengers. After dropping him home I drove on to Pasadena for several days of prep and visiting of friends before embarking on my journey on Monday March 21. My brother-in-law was flying in to make the drive with me as his brother lived in Altadena and we had a golf game on the books for the Sunday before. On Saturday morning I got in to turn the key and Lord Donnington wouldn't start. I jumped the battery and the engine started right up so not wanting to have this issue on the long drive I headed off to Pep Boys to get a new AGM battery installed. They gave me a credit for my year old battery and I paid the difference. With a new battery in place I felt ready for the drive. I spent Sunday golfing and then returned to my Airbnb to pack and check the car over. The front pads had about a third of the pad left (Akebono's with 45K on them) and I felt ready for the morning start at 8am. Monday came and I went out to start the car and it wouldn't even click. I could hear the starter move forward but no click.Shoot. Do I call off the journey? Would this be an ongoing problem throughout the drive? I jumped the car and got it going and decided to forge ahead in spite of this issue. I picked up my brother-in-law Bill at his brother's house, snapped the photo of our optimistic selves with wide grins leaning against the hood of the Jaguar (I am in the orange Molteni jersey)and we started off to a gas station. I decided that we would always keep the car running as we refueled so we wouldn't be caught with a no start situation. I only had a battery charger at this point (which had a feature of giving an emergency charge but required a long extension cord) but before the first day was out I pulled into a Walmart in Barstow and keeping the car running I ran in to buy a portable charger. That gave us peace of mind as we continued to make our first day. At one refueling stop with the engine running the gas cap door wouldn't unlock to allow me to access the fuel cap! We did shut off the engine then and the fuel door unlocked but that hadn't happened on prior engine running refuelings. After awhile we trusted the car enough to turn it off and it would happily restart for us every time the rest of the four day journey without the use of the charger so I suspect the battery drain was due to either an issue with the security module or the battery just needed 10 hour days of driving to be fully charged. I still don't know the answer but I suspect the security module because we also had many times when my driver door wouldn't open once we had stopped and shut off the engine. We would try the remote and that would unlock the doors but sometimes it wouldn't work and I had to climb over to the passenger door (which would open for some reason) to get out. That made me the primary driver as Bill had recent knee surgery and would not be able to shimmy over in case he got stuck with a non-opening door while driving. It's an odd issue.

Our entire journey was a delight. The Jaguar XJ8 (Lord Donnington) is a supremely comfortable riding automobile-we glided along at 75mph averaging 24.5mpg. Out best mileage was 27mpg as we drove from Albuquerque to Amarillo. We did encounter some snow and freezing rain on the long climb out of Albuquerque but the Jaguar handled the situation well. I was glad I had fairly new tires on all four corners. The defrost system on our cars works brilliantly and the lone wiper had severed its washer fluid line (it was original and had dried out and cracked itself to death in the Southern California heat) So I had to use an Autozone rubber hose and made that work. It wasn't pretty but it got fluid to the windscreen. I have since replaced it with the actual Jaguar hose and also replaced the washer element. We spent 10-11 hour days driving and I always felt great after those long days. The seats were supremely comfortable and the lumbar control helped relieve my lower back around hour 5. I had also added the heated seat elements when the seats were recovered and that was nice as well on our cold mornings. The engine only needed me to add 1 quart of Castrol full synthetic 5w-30 . We rolled into Savannah on our fourth day and I pulled into our driveway and parked the XJ into it's waiting spot ahead of my wife's Mercedes CLK350. It is out there now. Resting. I have only driven it one day since our arrival and it started right up. I will go out and start it today as well to see how it is doing. I still want to have the security module worked on to see if that fixes the door locking/unlocking issue.

When I mentioned to my transmission guy that I was going to drive Lord Donnington across the country he said a little too quickly, "I wouldn't do it. I would never try that" Which was a little disconcerting but we did do it. Lord Donnington got us out of several issues with merging tractor trailers and a lane wandering Subaru with its still powerful engine and capable handling. We were always comfortable inside with heated seats or the A/C blasting and overall it was a truly great trip.

-Lord Donnington
Savannah, GA

Somewhere...

r
Hey, great car and obviously a great fun trip!

c16rkc (04-11-2022)
Old 04-18-2022, 12:28 AM
Received 29 Likes on 23 Posts

Great story. Very heartening to read. I have the same car, same color and pretty much the same list of fixes at about 135,000 miles including replacing the front seat leathers. Small question, on the windscreen washer, is there a way to remove my aging "duckbill" element without replacing the arm?

Old 04-23-2022, 12:47 PM

Are you referring to the washer element attached to the wiper blade? That is part no. GJA8959AB. Jet-screenwasher, I got mine from SNG Barratt. Snaps right on.

Old 04-24-2022, 08:26 PM

Snaps on. Wonderful. Yes, you're part number pulls up the exact diagram of what I have but the wevsites says the part does not fit a 2001 XJ8.

Sites direct me to this part which looks wrong: https://parts.harperjaguar.com/oem-p...zzle-lnc7053ab

Old 04-24-2022, 09:50 PM

Len,
I suggest you get it where I got it.

https://www.sngbarratt.com/English(U...rnedDown=false

-Lord Donnington
Savannah, GA

Old 04-25-2022, 03:46 AM
GGG
Received 16,861 Likes on 12,186 Posts

Great post. I always enjoy reading 'driving' posts.

The seats look superb. It's the one area that usually lets down the appearance of an older Jaguar so well worth the money.

Graham

Old 04-25-2022, 08:33 PM
Received 42 Likes on 28 Posts

Thank you for sharing the details of your trip. Sounds like it was a pleasure. I did something similar. Last Novenber I left Tampa, FL at 3:00 PM on a Saturday and drove Ms Spirit (2001 XK8 Convertible) direct to San Francisco arriving there the following Tuesday at 9:00 AM Pacific time. 4-1/2 months later i did the reverse and drove Ms Spirit back to Tampa in a about the same elapsed time. Was a lot of fun. Saw the speedometer swing towards the right farther than usual when traffic was light. No issues except for a desire to stop often at gas stations. Total mileage on car about 95,000.

Old 04-25-2022, 11:30 PM

Thanks. I know Barratt and will do, but notice that even on its site it says fitment is for XK only. I suspect all retailers use a common Jaguar parts database and it's wrong on this tiny part.

Imagine that. Jaguar wrong!

Thanks for your help.

Old 05-05-2022, 12:02 PM
Received 23 Likes on 22 Posts
Default Thanks for the report

-Lord Donnington
Savannah, GA

Somewhere...

r
Great report. Thanks

Old 05-23-2022, 03:20 PM

-Lord Donnington
Savannah, GA

Somewhere...

r
Thank you for that entertaining story. What an adventure. Glad you arrive safely. I live in Statesboro Ga by the way. Would love to see that amazing machine. We have a 2001 xj8 vanden plas with 75 k miles. Also a 2013 xjl portfolio.

eliotb (05-24-2022)
Old 05-24-2022, 03:19 PM
Received 107 Likes on 74 Posts

Ah, Statesboro, namesake of one of the most outstanding blues tunes written. I started my journalism career in Statrsbiro, gulp, 51 years ago. Enjoyed every minute of my 13 months residence and overnighted 3 years ago while driving my (late and lamented) Radiance Pearl '06 VDP to Tybee. Made a stop at the paper and drove around doing the usual "whoa, it sure has grown and looks different" thing.

Last edited by eliotb; 05-25-2022 at 04:56 AM.
Old 05-25-2022, 01:03 PM

Originally Posted by eliotb
Ah, Statesboro, namesake of one of the most outstanding blues tunes written. I started my journalism career in Statrsbiro, gulp, 51 years ago. Enjoyed every minute of my 13 months residence and overnighted 3 years ago while driving my (late and lamented) Radiance Pearl '06 VDP to Tybee. Made a stop at the paper and drove around doing the usual "whoa, it sure has grown and looks different" thing.
Cool. I was in school with one of the Allman brothers. Had several classes together at Georgia Southern.

Statesboro Blues

eliotb (05-26-2022)