XJ XJ8 / XJR ( X308 ) 1997 - 2003

DST and/or PDU Do I Need Both?

Search this Thread

Old 09-09-2016 | 07:07 AM
|
Default DST and/or PDU Do I Need Both?

Sorry if I'm being stupid here but I'm trying to find out if my Kick-down Switch is set correctly, sometimes my X308 seems very sluggish unless I 'floor it' to shift down gears, then it's off like a whippet!. I have searched the Forum but to no avail regarding setting the switch, and on reading the manual it appears I need a PDU, I have absolutely no idea what a PDU is and/or what it actually does! (and a PDU seems to be used extensively for many other issues?)

I have an iCarsoft i930 Diagnostic Scan Tool, I got this to help with codes, warning lights on etc. Now it appears I may need a PDU as well to set things like the kick-down switch? So, main question, is this a totally different piece of kit to my DST that I 'need' to get, or would be 'advisable' to get?

1) If not, how else can I check for any necessary adjustment to the switch, and how do I set it correctly without a PDU?

2) If I do need to get one, where do I get the right PDU for my 1998 X308? (3.2ltr if it makes a difference?)

Again I apologise for being stupid, but in my defense, bring back the days when changing the plugs, a set of points, and setting the static timing resolved most issues... life was so much easier in those days

I know someone will have the right answers, if I need to get one, a link to where I can get one would be most useful..... Many thanks in advance.

Old 09-09-2016 | 09:20 AM

In the late 1980s Jaguar issued JDS (pinocchio). It never really worked reliably. It always defaulted to 'REPLACE FRONT HARNESS'.

Then Jaguar issued PDU.........PDU is EXTINCT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! It was a VERY old (Portable Diagnostic Unit) that had a small RAM capacity and a 2X CD ROM.

WDS replaced it in about 1998/1999.

IDS was issued in 2006.

SDD replaced IDS.

You will need a diagnostic tool to read data for certain setups.
WDS and IDS have the Datalogger function to view sensors and switches in real time.

I don't think you will ever find a working PDU but I could be wrong. Someone might actually have kept one alive??

bob

Last edited by motorcarman; 09-09-2016 at 12:55 PM.
Old 09-09-2016 | 11:40 AM
Veteran Member

I had kinda the same problem on my 98' XJR. The car wasn't very quick until I had sport mode engaged. It's best that you're at a complete stop and then push the sport mode switch and it's in the 'up' position and the red led is lite up and then the car wakes up. I used a battery maintainer to keep it above 13 volts with the ignition key on and engine off. I used a snap on scan tool to read the throttle position opening percentage. I adjusted all the slack out of my throttle cable first. If I remember correctly, I think my throttle stopped about 85% before it hit the kickdown switch and then completely floored was at 92ish percent open. I don't believe they can open 100%. If you ever need to adjust the kickdown switch on the floor... DO NOT turn the switch until you pull the carpet back and disconnect the harness first. You will break the wires off that switch if you don't disconnect it first.