XJ XJ8 / XJR ( X308 ) 1997 - 2003

electric window fault

Search this Thread

Old 02-07-2013, 12:44 PM
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Default electric window fault

A few days ago whilst driving the drivers window started to go down on its own, after operating the switch a few times it went back to normal, however the front passenger window would not work from the drivers door switch and the passenger side rear window would go down but not up from the drivers switch all windows worked perfectley from there own switches.
Now all the windows fail to operate from the drivers switch but will work from there own switches I can hear a click inside the drivers door when trying to operate the window but nothing happens. Ihave tried a reboot but it has made no difference, any ideas please.

Old 02-07-2013, 12:59 PM
GGG
Received 16,852 Likes on 12,186 Posts

Odd window behaviour is often the first sign of a failing battery.

Graham

Old 02-23-2013, 08:39 AM

Finally got back to looking at the car today only to find that as well as the window fault the horn no longer works and the central locking won't work off either fob unless you unlock the boot(trunk) with the fob then the door locks will operate once off the fob and then you have to unlock the boot again. I have replaced the vehicle battery and the key fob batteries and also replaced the fuses and relays for the horn and windows but still the problems persist there does not appear to be any water damage or corrosion on any terminals that I can see.

Old 02-23-2013, 08:58 AM
Veteran Member
Received 687 Likes on 590 Posts

It sounds to me like a BPM fault - there's no other relation between all these problems I can think of.
Have you got an OBD code reader ?

Old 02-23-2013, 12:36 PM

I haven't but I know someone that has what codes should I be looking for?

Old 02-23-2013, 01:36 PM
Veteran Member
Received 687 Likes on 590 Posts

Anything other than P1111 (I'm a happy car)

Old 02-23-2013, 02:30 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,357 Likes on 1,068 Posts

There's several earth points with earth cables on ring connectors you can check behind each headlight frame under the bonnet. Have a look at these and clean them if required.

They have dome nuts, I think 10mm

there could be water damage of the drivers switch or drivers door module. Maybe remove the door card and inspect them, the switch is tricky to get to but it all unscrews with pozi screws. Give the connections a squirt with WD. Another suggestion is switch switches from door to door and see if faults move from door to door.

These cars are very sensitive to voltage drop and need a fully fit battery, not 12V, more like 12.5V.

Let us know how you get on.

Last edited by Sean B; 02-23-2013 at 02:59 PM.
Old 02-23-2013, 03:18 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,622 Likes on 874 Posts

Look at these other threads:

https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/x...rs-door-63295/

Here is a partial extract of the information that forum member jamies xj8l post:

"After doing a HARD REBOOT you MUST reprogram the windows, this is done by rolling down the window one at a time and holding the switch foe approx. 3 seconds after you here the click in the door. Do each door in both down position and up position. This reprograms the ddm to the window parameters. In my case my ddm was bad causing the security issues. This was the biggest pain to figure out!"

Here is the weblink to his thread/posting (post#3):
Its fixed!! - Jaguar Forums - Jaguar Enthusiasts Forum

Jim Lombardi

Old 03-01-2013, 10:27 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Lightbulb Loose handle

Originally Posted by Trako
A few days ago whilst driving the drivers window started to go down on its own, after operating the switch a few times it went back to normal, however the front passenger window would not work from the drivers door switch and the passenger side rear window would go down but not up from the drivers switch all windows worked perfectly from there own switches.
Now all the windows fail to operate from the drivers switch but will work from there own switches I can hear a click inside the drivers door when trying to operate the window but nothing happens. I have tried a reboot but it has made no difference, any ideas please.
Check the drivers door outside handle, If it will wiggle up and down just a little. Windows may go down when the ignition is off. Sometimes closing the door will drop all 4 windows. lock with the key and hold in the lock position windows will go up. Release the key and remove it, doors unlock and windows drop. sometimes you hear a clicking and nothing works from drivers door. NOTE when you have window and door lock problems on a Jag check the drivers door outside handle.

Old 03-09-2013, 09:48 AM

Hi
Been working away for a couple of weeks came to the car today and the horn has started to work again. Turned the key in the doorlock and held it for a few seconds and all the windows went down turned it the other way and held it and all the windows went up, tried the door switch and the windows worked once and then would not work again. Tried the trick with the key again but windows will not work off the drivers door switch I am thinking switch fault or door module fault will look for second hand parts at first to cure fault when I have found the problem will replace with new part.

Old 03-29-2013, 10:01 AM

Finally got around to resolving this problem by replacing the drivers door switchpack. Thanks for all the help and ideas on here. Just got the non working key fobs and boot lights to sort out now!

Cheers Graham