XJ XJ8 / XJR ( X308 ) 1997 - 2003

Electric windows 98 XJ8

Search this Thread

Old 03-15-2009 | 05:56 PM
|
Default Electric windows 98 XJ8

Morning campers!

This winter has been brutally cold here in Michigan and sure enough the drivers side electric window packed up. When I use the up down switch I hear something happening inside the door, sounds like a relay or switch, but no motor whirring. Is there a reset button I need to know about, or any tricks to try in case the motor has jammed the mechanism. Any way outside the door to check the motor electrically? I definitely hear something like a relay click inside the door when I use the up and down on the switch so I think the switch is OK.
Thanks in advance for your help,

Michigan!!

Old 03-15-2009 | 06:04 PM

Try disconnecting the battery for 5 min. If that doesnt work may hopefully be jammed i wud push the window up manually and hopefully it will work

Old 03-16-2009 | 01:01 PM
|

Thw window is already all the way up, should I try pulling it down? What does disconnecting the battery do?
Thanks,
Michigan.

Old 03-16-2009 | 02:42 PM

Disonnecting the battery enables the electronic control modules in your car to "reboot". Many system malfunctions are often corrected this way.

After you try that, and before you do anything else, see if your sunroof is operating correctly. I just fixed an '00 Vanden Plas today that would not lower the LF window, although you could hear the relay inside the door control module clicking. The car also had a problem with the sunroof closing by itself when opened. The faulty left front door module was causing both problems: it was sending a "close everything up" signal.

Send me a private message if you need a moule, I still have at least one good used one left.

Old 03-16-2009 | 03:49 PM
Thumbs up

Had the same exact problem on my 98 xjr....I read here yesterday about disconnecting the battery...cept it was in a different post I cant find now...Disconnected the battery cables, and presto! everything is working great. Sunroof wouldnt stay open, drivers window wouldnt move...all the other windows worked though...from either the drivers switchpack, or the switch on the door...Rode around for a month with no working driver window...

Thanks for the help. Been a member on Jaguar forums Jag lovers in particular for 5 years, and this is the first time I ever got any advice that worked for me LOL Just wanted to say thanks...

Old 03-17-2009 | 04:24 PM
|
Default Brilliant.....it works!!!

Brilliant...it works!!! You are a genius.

I was really worried about you mentioning the sunroof as I have not been brave enough to test it yet. When I bought the car a year ago the inside trim panel was half slid back whilst the actual sunroof was closed and I couldn't close the trim panel or slide it shut, so I left well alone. The dealer said it needed a new set of tracks which I was surprised about as I know the car wasn't used in the winter and with air con probably the sunroof wasn't used that much and yet it needed a new set of tracks. Is there a way to re position the trim panel?

Thankyou so much for your window solution, one of my main apprehesions in buying a 98 was not so much the engine as I know the reliability was improved after Ford took over but the old Jags always seem to have electric window problems so when my drivers door window failed I was pretty worried....not to mention that you can't do a drive through with out it!!.
Thanks,
Michigan.