XJ XJ8 / XJR ( X308 ) 1997 - 2003

electrical problem

Search this Thread

Old 12-19-2015 | 10:43 AM
|

Originally Posted by sparkenzap
kyle-
"voltage from the engine" where? and "very little voltage there" what is the atecedent to the pronoun "there"

In other words, where the heck are you getting these voltages near zero with the engine running?

It sounds like you have found the problem but lets be sure.

/
Well according to the avt007 booklet, if a voltage reading from the engine (meter leads to throttle body and shock tower with engine running) is anything above 0.2V it is an indication of a bad engine earth connection - I was guided by this tract as I know next to nothing about electrical troubleshooting, if thats wrong then who am I to know !? The earth strap itself "looks" ok with no corrosion but .......
So far the no start scenario has not re-occured, I am currently of the opinion it may be the ignition switch not engaging, or disengaging when switching off , intermittantly. The tests I have done so far do not indicate a definite "problem" with the electrical circuit but I have very little knowlege of this area.
The workshop manual states :

When the ignition key is set to the normal run position, the following sequence occurs:
 The isolation relay in each fusebox is energised to supply battery power to the fuses and associated circuits.
 The BPM 'IGN ON' terminal is taken to 0V by the ignition switch.
 The BPM checks that various parameters are correct e.g. - inertia switch is in the active condition - transmission is in
PARK - security system has been correctly disabled.

Whether this throws any light on it I'm not sure....

Thanks for all input though, even critical coments can be of help!

AndyP