XJ XJ8 / XJR ( X308 ) 1997 - 2003

Engine coolant level low

Search this Thread

Old 09-05-2014, 04:34 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Engine coolant level low

Hi guys! I'm new to all this and also new to owning a Jaguar!

I have purchased an XJ8 3.2 V8 1998 sport model and have some issues I'd like some advice on.

Issue 1 - now and then (usually when I've put my foot down) I get the 'engine coolant level low' flash up on the dash but then goes after a few seconds. I have checked the coolant level and it seems there is fluid in the small tank however, there is no level indicator so not sure if this is ok or too low. There is a small puddle under the bonnet after being driven but this only appears after the car has been driven. If I leave the car over night or for a few hours, there is no puddle. The water doesn't seem to smell and seems as though it is just water.

Issue 2 - the engine stalls from time to time again, usually after putting my foot down. Someone said something about cleaning the in,et manifold but I know about cars to be honest and have only just started learning so not sure about this.

I have had the car fully serviced today yet none of this came up on service. It was a full big service with full diagnostics and checks.

Can anyone advise on any of this please?

Thanks

Terry

Last edited by GGG; 09-05-2014 at 05:37 PM. Reason: add detail to thread title
Old 09-05-2014, 05:32 PM
GGG
Received 16,868 Likes on 12,186 Posts

Terry,

I've moved these questions from New Member Area - Intro a MUST to X308 forum. Members here with the same model will be able to help.

Graham

Old 09-05-2014, 05:42 PM

Thank you for your help Graham

Old 09-05-2014, 05:49 PM
GGG
Received 16,868 Likes on 12,186 Posts

The 'small tank' is the coolant Expansion Tank (item 1).

Engine coolant level low-expansion.jpg
(click on the image to enlarge it)

In the base of this Tank there's a Fluid Level Sensor (item3). These are a regular fail giving false low coolant messages. However, a genuine low coolant level must never be ignored. Severe damage can be caused very quickly to these engines by over heating.

Graham

Old 09-05-2014, 07:24 PM
Veteran member
Received 329 Likes on 258 Posts

Hi Terry:

Welcome to the club - in more ways than one! The coolant level sensor is known for becoming flaky and giving a false reading; HOWEVER, as Graham rightly indicated, you must always check to be sure there is the normal amount of coolant otherwise you could end up with a real problem with overheating. I'm worried about a possible leak in your system. If it were me I'd have that checked by a technician immediately. You should also check to see if your car has had the water pump replaced and whether the plastic outlet pipe has been replaced by a metal one. breaking plastic bits is a common source of leakage, and the original plastic propellers in the water pump literally disintegrate over time. I bought my '98 with an original pump (wrongly!) thinking I could get more use out of it. Should of had it done right when I got it. There's lots of information in the archives on the forum for you to read. Once you get familiarized with how things work around here, the "search" function becomes your friend!

There was a throttle body TSB on this car from a number of years ago. I wonder if that has something to do with your stalling problem if repair wasn't done on your car.

Meanwhile, how are your tensioners?

Don't worry. You've bought a good car. Care for it and it will care for you. Cheers!
Scott

Last edited by MidwestJag; 09-05-2014 at 07:55 PM.
Old 09-05-2014, 07:40 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,624 Likes on 874 Posts

If you are getting a "low coolant" warning and the coolant expansion tank is full to the top of the tank, then it sounds like the cooling level sensor is stuck and you can use a wooden or plastic large spoon to stir the coolant in the expansion tank to free it up.

I had to do this the last time I had the garage mechanic drain & refill our coolant in our 2001 XJ8.

Jim Lombardi

Last edited by jimlombardi; 09-05-2014 at 07:43 PM.
Old 09-06-2014, 03:07 AM
Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

sounds like you definitely have a leak if you have a puddle under the car after parking. The best way to find it would be to trace the coolant. I would run my finger down the hose on the bottom of the overflow tank indicated in the diagram posted above. This is what they call the "octopus" hose. I just had the same issue. check out my thread
https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/x...6733ae-125451/

Mine leaked from the middle of one of the Y splits. Run your finger down until you feel antifreeze. If it is on the top of the hose then look for a leak above it. If fluid is on the bottom only then this is most likely the source unless it is spraying up from a hose underneath. Good luck!

Old 09-06-2014, 05:32 AM

Originally Posted by MidwestJag
Hi Terry:

Welcome to the club - in more ways than one! The coolant level sensor is known for becoming flaky and giving a false reading; HOWEVER, as Graham rightly indicated, you must always check to be sure there is the normal amount of coolant otherwise you could end up with a real problem with overheating. I'm worried about a possible leak in your system. If it were me I'd have that checked by a technician immediately. You should also check to see if your car has had the water pump replaced and whether the plastic outlet pipe has been replaced by a metal one. breaking plastic bits is a common source of leakage, and the original plastic propellers in the water pump literally disintegrate over time. I bought my '98 with an original pump (wrongly!) thinking I could get more use out of it. Should of had it done right when I got it. There's lots of information in the archives on the forum for you to read. Once you get familiarized with how things work around here, the "search" function becomes your friend!

There was a throttle body TSB on this car from a number of years ago. I wonder if that has something to do with your stalling problem if repair wasn't done on your car.

Meanwhile, how are your tensioners?

Don't worry. You've bought a good car. Care for it and it will care for you. Cheers!
Scott

Thanks Scott

I took it back to the garage that serviced it this morning and they had a quick look for me. They said the coolant wasn't low but could do with a little top up to take it passed the whole of the level sensor. They said that the fluid that was on the floor was cold water which looks and sounds like it's coming from the AC. It didn't smell, look or feel like antifreeze.

I will see how it runs today and check the coolant level later today. If it looses any then I'll take it back to the garage to see what else it could be.

The stalling hasn't happened today but will prob happen later today as it normally does. No code comes up or anything. I wonder if there is an easy fix for this?