XJ XJ8 / XJR ( X308 ) 1997 - 2003

Engine mount advice?

Search this Thread

Old 07-09-2018, 03:19 AM
Received 63 Likes on 46 Posts
Default Engine mount advice?

Engine mount stuck to subframe

Engine mount half stuck on subframe

Got a bit of an issue with my engine mounts after removing the subframe for other repairs. I hadn't noticed that the mounts had perished beforehand.
I've not been able to withdraw the torx bolts from either and the lower halves are stuck on to the subframe it seems. Is it OK to lever these [bits] off, possibly destroying the torx thread in the process? Are the torx bolts supposed to come out?
Got two mounts in the post thankfully.

Last edited by chris-jag; 07-09-2018 at 05:08 AM.
Old 07-09-2018, 07:37 AM
Received 145 Likes on 92 Posts

Hi,

Yes, these torx bolts are supposed to come out. I'd advise to carefully drill the broken bits and use new bolts.
Please watch out to not damage the subframe, as you might disturb the seat for the engine mount's bottom cone. This cone snuggly fits into the subframe and that's exactly the bit that is stuck in your case.

Or you can try to heat up the broken bit with a hot air gun, grip it with a vise and try to turn the bolt. As the motor mount's cone is made of aluminum there's maybe some corrosion between the torx bolt and the cone. Heat often helps to shrink it so that you can separate the parts.

Cheers, Alexander

Old 07-09-2018, 08:08 AM
Received 63 Likes on 46 Posts

Originally Posted by xjr2014_de
Hi,

Yes, these torx bolts are supposed to come out. I'd advise to carefully drill the broken bits and use new bolts.
Please watch out to not damage the subframe, as you might disturb the seat for the engine mount's bottom cone. This cone snuggly fits into the subframe and that's exactly the bit that is stuck in your case.

Or you can try to heat up the broken bit with a hot air gun, grip it with a vise and try to turn the bolt. As the motor mount's cone is made of aluminum there's maybe some corrosion between the torx bolt and the cone. Heat often helps to shrink it so that you can separate the parts.

Cheers, Alexander
Thanks Alex, I'll give that a go then. The good side to seeing the existing mounts in this condition is that I have an answer as to why I spent half an hour trying to unscrew them They just kept on turning :-)