XJ XJ8 / XJR ( X308 ) 1997 - 2003

Engine replacement.

Search this Thread

Old 07-22-2008, 03:35 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Engine replacement.

I need to replace the engine in my 2000 VDP due to timing chain failure. I am looking at a 2003 motor as it will have the updated specs, but the ad says it will fit cars from 2001 to 2003. Does anyone know what is different in a 2000 model and can it be easily configured for this motor?

Thanks,

Chris.

Old 07-22-2008, 04:24 PM
Received 86 Likes on 54 Posts
Default RE: Engine replacement.

Bolt patterns etc should be the same.
You should call the dealer and ask if the motor for your VIN range supercedes to the newer VIN range. If so go for it.
Just curious, why are you replacing the whole motor for chain failure?

Old 07-22-2008, 06:36 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

This is a long story.....[/align][/align]I purchased the car on Ebayin April from Expo motors in Houston Texas, I live in Oregon so it was sight unseen. After it was delivered it had problems from the start. Would not pass a smog, battery would not hold a charge, error codes etc. Also we noted looking at the registration that it had changed hands several times at auctions in a matter on months, not a good sign.[/align][/align]I found a local shop that specialized in imports and knew Jaguar cars, and after most of the other problems were fixed found that upper timing plastic chain tensioner on one side was breaking up. The shop said they could replace the upper tensioners without too much tear down for $800 or do the upper and lower for about $2800, I opted to do just the upper ones. [/align][/align]The shop owner also told me that he thought the engine had been worked on before by someone not qualified and the camshaft was 1 degree off. At this point we complained to Expo about our purchaseand after negotiation they refundedus $1000 and we signed a release.[/align][/align]The upper chain fix lasted about 1200 miles before the car quit on the road, timing chain again. After removing the heads the same side had a couple of bent valves and dings in the tops of the pistons. I was also show thatthere was old dings to the pistons that were covered in carbon and the sides of a couple of thecylinder sleeves were scored, also the head was cracked and damaged.[/align][/align]My shop says at this point it would be better to get another engine that rebuild.I just want to be able to enjoy the car![/align][/align]This is a lesson to myself and anyone thinking of buying a car sight unseen withoutpaying a trained mechanic to check it out first.[/align][/align]Thanks for your help,[/align][/align]Chris.[/align]

Old 07-23-2008, 07:28 PM
Received 7 Likes on 3 Posts

That really sucks. There's a lot of crooked shady car dealersdown in Houston town, that's for sure. I bought my XJR thru an auction down there and it needed an engine also but I sorta knew it would for the price I paid. It was disclosed luckily, badly overheated and knocking.