XJ XJ8 / XJR ( X308 ) 1997 - 2003

engine squeak + vibration

Search this Thread

Old 01-23-2013, 01:16 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default engine squeak + vibration

Hi Jag Enthusiasts,

I just acquired a 2003 XJ8 VDP with 134,000 miles on it. I've had it for two days and have a few problems to research. I can't seem to search the forums - it gives me a database error. I am hoping for some advice.

1. On a cold start, the engine squeals a little bit (sounds like a squeaky pulley). Once the engine is about 1/2 way to operating temperature, the squeak only happens under acceleration. Once to full operating temperature, it goes away completely. Thoughts on what this could be or how to troubleshoot?

2. At idle (whether cold or warm), the engine puts a very slight vibration through the car. It is not enough to shake my arm hairs as I grip the steering wheel, but it is enough to rattle the console/dash. Is this something like a bad engine mount? Or do you think it is over due for spark plugs? Or should I just chalk it up to "its an old, high-mileage Jag"?

3. The car's front suspension seems to make a hollow-sounding thud in the floor when hitting bumps. The ride and handling are amazing, and service records show that shocks have been replaced within the last 30K miles, so I am wondering if this is just bushings (of some sort) gone bad? Can I look under the car and see this for myself?

4. Plastic cupholder rings are broke. Anyone know how I should deal with this?

5. My radio antenna will only motor half way down. It then stops. It seems like this might just need some graphite to lubricate it or something? Any recommendations on how to care for that?

6. I only have 1 key and no remotes. Is this something I have to get at the dealer? Or does anyone know of a cheaper alternative?

7. Last little thing: the climate control screen (that displays your temperature setting - like 77 degrees) is only lit on the left side at night. I guess a bulb is out? Anyone know if these are easy to replace? Or is it something stupid, like you have to replace the entire instrument panel?

Thanks for any thoughts you might have to any of these.

Chris

Old 01-23-2013, 04:36 AM
Veteran Member
Received 1,371 Likes on 1,078 Posts

Originally Posted by freeindeed
Hi Jag Enthusiasts,

I just acquired a 2003 XJ8 VDP with 134,000 miles on it. I've had it for two days and have a few problems to research. I can't seem to search the forums - it gives me a database error. I am hoping for some advice.

1. On a cold start, the engine squeals a little bit (sounds like a squeaky pulley). Once the engine is about 1/2 way to operating temperature, the squeak only happens under acceleration. Once to full operating temperature, it goes away completely. Thoughts on what this could be or how to troubleshoot?

2. At idle (whether cold or warm), the engine puts a very slight vibration through the car. It is not enough to shake my arm hairs as I grip the steering wheel, but it is enough to rattle the console/dash. Is this something like a bad engine mount? Or do you think it is over due for spark plugs? Or should I just chalk it up to "its an old, high-mileage Jag"?

3. The car's front suspension seems to make a hollow-sounding thud in the floor when hitting bumps. The ride and handling are amazing, and service records show that shocks have been replaced within the last 30K miles, so I am wondering if this is just bushings (of some sort) gone bad? Can I look under the car and see this for myself?

5. My radio antenna will only motor half way down. It then stops. It seems like this might just need some graphite to lubricate it or something? Any recommendations on how to care for that?

6. I only have 1 key and no remotes. Is this something I have to get at the dealer? Or does anyone know of a cheaper alternative?

7. Last little thing: the climate control screen (that displays your temperature setting - like 77 degrees) is only lit on the left side at night. I guess a bulb is out? Anyone know if these are easy to replace? Or is it something stupid, like you have to replace the entire instrument panel?

Chris
Welcome Chris - a little laundry list eh - no problem,

1. Sounds like it needs a new accessory belt, but with noises it's always a guess until you can post the sound on here, for example record it on your phone and upload the video to photobucket/youtube then post it's link to here so we can assess it.

2 & 3 - sound very much like engine mounts, it's a common problem, not a big job to change them for new, the issue is a split and the engine moves up and down, you can brake test one side my putting the car in gear with the hood raised and raise the revs against the brake to see if the engine lifts, rough and ready test. Another sign is weeping down the inner chassis legs around and below the mounts, best to check with a flashlight on a lift....

4. Very common problem, there's fixes so search the forum, or buy a second hand unit...

5. Antenna needs replacing - same as a volvo part, the plastic lift/ close whip could be snapped inside, they're a $10 part and super easy to change, again a sticky is on here I think by member David N on changing it out.

6. Keys and remotes are very well covered on here, all the options too, dealer is expensive for keys, they're a Tibb and can be bought new uncut from ebay.co.uk sellers. Programming is a different matter, you'll need to find a locksmith with the right gear to clone it, or dealer. If and when you get the search option working read through for your own option. The remotes I think are 315Mhz and sometimes can be bought on ebay, programming to the car is a 5 minute job again covered on the forum.

7. is indeed a simple bulb out - to get at it you'll need to remove the gear selector ring and 'ski slope' wood trim, then the climate pack. The bulb can be bought from the dealer a T10 twist lock type.

Hope the mods bump your membership to 'full' - then you can crack on with fixing the niggles.

Hope that helps and good luck with the new ride.

Old 01-23-2013, 06:02 AM
Received 39 Likes on 25 Posts

Originally Posted by freeindeed
Hi Jag Enthusiasts,

Chris
Sean, as usual, answered all your questions before I even saw your thread Just wanted to add something about the antenna - try to clean and lubricate it from outside before you go for a replacement... Sometimes, specially when it's wet and snowy, the antenna mast is getting durty and can't move all it's way - both when expanding and folding. I have this problem mostly at winter and to fix it I use just a lubricant spray (WD-40) and a napkin to clean it up... Try this way - if it doesn't help go for plan B with Sean B suggestion.

Another thing... if you decide to change bulbs think of replacing them with LED bulbs - both on A/C dash and the bulbs for the instrument cluster. It will look better, believe me
The bulb types are 194 type and T10.
If you want to remove the instrument cluster here is FAQ on how do that: https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/x...r-i-faq-57772/

Old 01-23-2013, 06:46 AM
Veteran Member
Received 2,820 Likes on 2,247 Posts

Welcome to the forum,Chris. If you have not already done so, visit the new member area and introduce yourself. You will find some useful info there. You will not be able to download pdf's until you have 10 posts and been a member for 3 days, if I remember correctly, and that may apply to the search also, don't recall.

New Member Area - Intro a MUST - Jaguar Forums - Jaguar Enthusiasts Forum

The hollow thunk could be sway bar bushings. Check the links, also. For keys, you are pretty much stuck with the dealer, although some indy's can program. It is expensive.

Old 01-23-2013, 08:17 AM
Received 240 Likes on 168 Posts

The squeak can also be the tensioner pulley-I had squeaks from both belt pulleys (supercharger tensioner pulley on XJR models as well as main serpentine belt tensioner pulley). The grease dries out & the bearing races run dry until they heat up & some is redistributed-hence they often quieten down on a hot engine.

Antenna is easy to fix-it's usually just the centre moving section & nylon cable that's stuck or worn out. It's an easy procedure to replace it & quite cheap as you don't need to replace the whole antenna motor assembly.

The failed bulb is easy to replace, although it may be a bit fiddly as you need to remove the gear selector surround, the main 'ski slope' trim piece & then undo the screws to wiggle the stereo head unit forward & then wiggle the climate control panel out.

You'll probably need to move the gear selector lever down into the 'D' position to make access space, and it's worth putting a thick cloth over the gear selector lettering panel in case anything scratches it when you remove stuff...

Last edited by Red October; 01-23-2013 at 01:48 PM.
Old 01-23-2013, 08:57 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Wow, thanks everyone. This is by far a friendlier forum than I belonged to for the BMW I used to have. You guys rock.

I will set to work on this list ASAP.

One quick followup - I noticed this morning that the slight engine vibration I referred to gets a bit more pronounced when the A/C compressor engages. I'm not sure if that clue helps in diagnosis or not. It seems like this would make sense if I had a belt tensioner problem, no?

Dumb question: If the 'thud' over bumps is merely sway bar bushings, I've read on the forums that those are cheap and a possible DIY item. Problem is, I have no idea what to look for. I thought a sway bar was a rod under the hood, running across the top of the engine, connected to the wheel wells on either side. But I don't think I have one of those (if I remember the engine bay correctly). Is it possible to describe where are those located, and can I see their condition by just looking at them?

Thanks,
Chris

Old 01-23-2013, 11:14 AM
Received 110 Likes on 83 Posts

Only thing I can think of is, your car is an XJ VDP,
not an XJR, so failing engine mounts won't 'weep'
I don't think. The hydraulic XJR mounts are different
from the N/A engines solid mounts.

Cheers and welcome! Glad we stack up against the
BMW boys

Ian

Old 01-23-2013, 12:52 PM
Veteran Member

Sway bar is under the crankshaft pulley. It mounts to the frame on either side and then into the wheel well where you will find the links connecting to the lower suspension arm.

Old 01-23-2013, 12:54 PM
Veteran Member

Forgot to mention, if they don't look new, just replace them. Not expensive if bought on line, and not that bad at dealer.

Old 01-23-2013, 01:47 PM

Originally Posted by ianclements

Cheers and welcome! Glad we stack up against the
BMW boys

Ian

People also let you out of side roads if you're driving a Jag, whereas you become mysteriously 'invisible' trying to do the same thing in a BMW

Old 01-23-2013, 02:46 PM
Veteran Member
Received 2,185 Likes on 1,625 Posts

Originally Posted by Red October
People also let you out of side roads if you're driving a Jag, whereas you become mysteriously 'invisible' trying to do the same thing in a BMW
Must be an effect that is stronger in the UK due to Jaguar's appointment as a supplier to HRM.

Old 01-23-2013, 02:56 PM

Originally Posted by plums
Must be an effect that is stronger in the UK due to Jaguar's appointment as a supplier to HRM.
More likely due to the '1966 World Cup results effect'

Old 01-23-2013, 03:24 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by ianclements
failing engine mounts won't 'weep'
I don't think. The hydraulic XJR mounts are different
from the N/A engines solid mounts.
Ian
Who told you that crock Ian?

Part number#MNC7500AB I've ordered dozens of them, never been asked by the main dealer parts guy I've known for 20+ years if it's S/C or not.

It will weep if goosed.

Anti roll bar bushes look like below. 10 minute job to fit if you can swing a spanner.

Attached Thumbnails engine squeak + vibration-front-anti-roll-bar-bushes-jaguar.jpg  
Old 01-23-2013, 03:34 PM
Received 110 Likes on 83 Posts

The mounts looked different from my 4.0 N/A to the
XJR, they were black in that car and are aluminium
coloured in this one. Maybe I'm wrong, but that was
the knowledge I had, (true/false knowledge is another
matter, but it was there!).

Old 01-23-2013, 04:19 PM
Veteran Member
Received 542 Likes on 423 Posts

I want to chime in on #1- I had a bad harmonic balancer, and my car would squeal on start up and under power...

Old 01-24-2013, 12:53 AM
Received 39 Likes on 25 Posts

Originally Posted by dsnyder586
...bad harmonic balancer...
What's that??!?! What it does and where it's located... and how did you fix it?

Old 01-24-2013, 10:17 AM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by Estilian
What's that??!?! What it does and where it's located... and how did you fix it?
It's the big pulley attached to the crank that drives everything.

There's a ring of rubber between the inner and outer parts of the pulley that dampen engine vibrations, it can crack and lead to the symptoms D mentions.

The part is unavailable from Jaguar, at least the supercharger version, but can be fixed by an American company that replace the rubber.