XJ XJ8 / XJR ( X308 ) 1997 - 2003

Engine stall - out of nowhere

Search this Thread

Old 10-19-2010, 06:56 PM
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Engine stall - out of nowhere

Hi all.
I'mdriving a 99 XJR with just about 80k mi.
All of a sudden, my engine stalled. Twice. The first time it happened (3 days ago), I was just above the gas light coming on. I felt the motor bog when I pressed the accelerator, as if it were low or out of gas... next thing I knew, the engine stalled. I assumed it was the lack of gas, maybe some water in the tank or something... I started it right back up and went another 50 feet to the gas station. Filled it up super, as always and it seemed to run fine. Until today. I was in gear waiting on the side of the road for my brother to get back in the car and it stalled again. It is still the same tank of gas, about half full, or half empty, depending on how you look at things...

Any thoughts?

The car runs beautifully and has for the last 4 years I have her.
Any thoughts would be appreciated, as always.

Brian.

Old 10-19-2010, 07:08 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,112 Likes on 933 Posts

I assume, by your lack of comment, that the Check Engine Light did not come on. Otherwise have it read and let us know.

Two thoughts, throttle body . . . you car is within the 'service action', now expired, to replace the throttle body. Search for 'S514' to see the years and VIN's that it applied to. Symptoms of stalling and clearing on restart.

The 'in tank' wiring harness has a history of failure giving erratic operation of the fuel pump.

Old 10-20-2010, 06:01 AM

Thank you for your input.
The engine light did not come on. Where do you suggest I search for 'S514', and what it that exactly? I assume you mean an engine code and I should search the cars computer, but I'm not sure if that is making sence as the light did not come on.
Forgive my lack of knowdledge here. I'm not a mechanic, but I'm a fast learner. A little clarification would be most helpful.
The fuel pump issue sounds quite reaonable. Is there a method a mechanic could use to diagnose a problem like this? Or do we have to wait for it to fail completely? Or change it pre-emptively?
Thanks again TP. Veteran Mambers make the world go 'round.

Old 10-20-2010, 07:15 AM
Veteran Member
Received 1,112 Likes on 933 Posts

The Service Action 514 covered a throttle body problem that caused engine shut down without leaving clues. Simply restarting it worked . . . for a while. The actual SA document can be found in the XK8/R forum Sticky's under post #2 of the TSB list here: https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/s...ad.php?t=25334

The 'recall' expired at the end of last year. Call your friendly local Jaguar dealer with your VIN and ask if the Service Action applied to your car and was it preformed. Lots were but if yours was not there is not much you can do. Also, Jaguar will only do the recall once. One thought, the dealers were directed to check cars coming into the service dept for this SA. If yours was within the applicable VIN ranges and you can document that the car had dealer work done before the end of last year you have a point of argument.

Lived in Bernardsville many years ago, know where Long Branch is.

As far at the fuel pump and harness, someone is just going to have to see the loss of fuel pressure to know for sure that that is the problem. Since that repair is pretty complicated further diagnosis is most appropriate.

Blind, remote trouble shooting is only guess work. Many other issues could be causing the problem, from a loose ground to a bad relay.

Maybe someone else will chime in with some thoughts.

Old 10-20-2010, 08:20 AM
Gus
Veteran Member
Received 2,214 Likes on 1,703 Posts

As Tom (Test Point) said check the fuel pressure. This is exactly what my car did before the fuel pump went out. Good troubleshooting will guide you to the problem. Get a fuel pressure reading, check the fuel filter for blockage and work your way to the fuel TB service action and the fuel pump wiring harness or pump. I hope that helps!

Also read this http://www.gusglikas.com/AutoRepTB.htm I see that your car is a 99 and you did not throw a code but I have seen this plug issue without a code it might be worth checking.

Last edited by Gus; 10-20-2010 at 10:22 AM. Reason: Added TB plug problem
Old 10-20-2010, 08:42 PM

Thank you gents. I will be narrowing down all ends possible. I will keep you posted.
And at the risk of sounding redundant..... Thank you , thank you, thank you.