XJ XJ8 / XJR ( X308 ) 1997 - 2003

Engine whine

Search this Thread

Old 02-21-2020 | 02:02 PM
|
Default Engine whine

Recently (like two days ago) my jaguar started having a loud whine noise. I started my car from over night (cold start) and new sounds have arose. It literally sound like a plane was taking off and was very loud as my neighbors were staring at me. It even sounds like I had a supercharger whine but sadly I have a n/a engine. (Don’t know the age of the battery looks new , and don’t have any paper work of the alternator ever being replaced or any of the front pulleys beside the water pump)

I started to look up threads about engine whines and sounds and found my self looking at 3-4 possible options. And I have read a lottt.
Idler pulley or tensioner pulley?
alternator
battery?
Air intake manifold leak (unlikely)
I even tried finding videos that sound the same on YouTube :

Some symptoms I have noticed is it sounds very prominent in lower gears or at lower speeds. It is definitely coming from the front of the car (engine). Some more weirdness I started the car today and the whine has drastically decreased and doesn’t sound like a plane any more but still remains to whine both in park and in drive gears. Sound does seem to be loudest around 1000rpms - 1500rpms.
Also when I give it a little gas, after the engine drops to around 500 rpms and then sounds to struggle a little bit then goes back to idle around 600+rpms. Other wise performance seems to be not effective and has full horses. But didn’t really wanna push the car with a problem.

I would prefer like always to do my own work and try and avoid dealer work. And Maybe some links to new parts that you would suggest is wrong will help.
i have recorded some videos of my own that I will insert below of my cars whine. And I will be removing the serpentine belt this coming up Monday to listen for a bad pulley? Also any tips or things I should check to eliminate what could and couldn’t be the problem helps.

My videos with the engine whine below
My cold start :
My rev :
My short drive :

Once again I am thankful for everyone’s help and I will try my best to keep the forum updated!
2001 xj8 107,000 miles

Last edited by youngowner; 02-21-2020 at 02:14 PM.
The following users liked this post:
John Ragland (05-12-2020)
Old 02-21-2020 | 02:10 PM

Are there any DTCs stored in the system? If so, post them here.

You can also connect a Bluetooth scanner connected to a smart phone via the OBD port and read the LTFTs and STFTs using the Torque app. This will give you an idea if there's a vacuum leak that needs to be addressed.

Check the IAC for correct operation as they can make odd noises.

Old 02-21-2020 | 02:14 PM
Banned

Transmission or flywheel maybe. I had vacuum leak but far from that noise

Old 02-21-2020 | 05:39 PM
Veteran Member

I'm with the transmission fluid level...check it. Sounds like the pump is crying for fluid. It may also need a fluid change because the filter is dirty....has it ever been changed?

I would not doubt you have a combo of small issues to include what NBCat mentions about the vacuum leaks.

Last edited by Highhorse; 02-21-2020 at 05:41 PM.
Old 02-23-2020 | 11:09 AM
Veteran Member

My 2 cents.
I'm leaning towards the idler pulley. Take the belt off. Start it and let it run for only a few seconds, let it run too long and it will over heat. If the winning goes away you know it is something that the belt turns. Check all of the pulleys buy turning them. You should be able to tell which one it is.
If the whine is still there then check the transmission fluid level.
I wouldn't drive the car because if it is a pulley it can completely fail and throw the belt, happen to my wife. If it's the transmission you will affect its longevity running low on fluid.

Old 02-28-2020 | 10:00 PM
|
Default Hey guys late update

Sorry been busy with school and work! But I think I’ve found the problem.
I bought a cheap stethoscope from auto zone and I was listening around and it turned out to be the alternator! Everything else checks out fine. The pulleys sounded fine and functioned properly. And sound doesn’t come from the transmission (thankfully). The sound originates from the front passenger side of the car (where the alternator is located).
Currently the car is driving “normal” at the moment with this bad alternator and am probably gonna continue to drive it a bit. But I don’t wanna get stranded somewhere lol.
Should I replace the alternator or bring it in for a rebuild? Is replacing the whole alternator smarter? I’d rather spend the extra money and have better odds of no future problems again.
Also I’m probably gonna still take my jag in for a transmission service seeing this could be a future problem (low fluid) I don’t know if or when the transmission has ever had a service. Is draining the fluid ,changing the filter and refilling safe for a car with over 107,000 miles or should I ask them to top it off. I’m probably (definitely) gonna get the upgraded transgo kit installed. What are estimated prices for a job like this. Trying to not get ripped off but I’d pay good money to make sure my baby stays on the roads for thousands of miles to go.

Thank you all for you help and suggestions. They really helped.
17 year old enthusiast kid
2001 Jaguar xj8 107,000 miles

Last edited by youngowner; 02-28-2020 at 10:05 PM.
John Ragland (05-12-2020)
Old 02-28-2020 | 10:33 PM
Veteran Member

Kudos to closure !

Old 02-29-2020 | 05:36 AM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by youngowner
...it turned out to be the alternator! Everything else checks out fine....Currently the car is driving “normal” at the moment with this bad alternator and am probably gonna continue to drive it a bit. But I don’t wanna get stranded somewhere...
You should check the voltage on the battery terminals while the engine is running. Do the check with the AC and the lights on. If you have less than 13.5 volts, the alternator is bad (has one or two blown diodes) and is likely to get you stranded. This usually happens at night, in the middle of nowhere.

The alternator is very easy to rebuild DIY and the parts are available. The usual part that fails is the rectifier (~ $50) but it is good practice to also replace the voltage regulator and the carbon brushes (~ $70 for the two).

Highhorse (02-29-2020)
Old 02-29-2020 | 09:00 AM
Veteran Member

+1 to MS's statement...as for the trans, there are a number of Merc, BMW and such service centers in Buffalo, just call and ask how much for a fluid and filter change.

The fluid you can easily do yourself, we can help guide you through that, its fairly simple. You can take your old fluid to most any auto parts store (Autozone, O'Reilly's) to dispense with it. The Transgo kit instructions are straight forward and there are videos on it. I have one of the Transgo kits with a new electrical connector if you want to make me an offer?

Last edited by Highhorse; 02-29-2020 at 09:03 AM.
Old 03-28-2020 | 09:57 PM
|
Default overdue update

Sorry for the long waited reply. The Jag is still going surprisingly! Hows "jags arnt reliable" for ya. Lol

Since i got a lot of extra time on my hands (quarantined at home) im gonna just say **** it and do it.
I haven't been driving her a lot and she has just been sitting around so im gonna do a full tune up.

For the alternator:
Im looking at a Denso Remanufactured Alternator (Part number: 605-05084626) for around 180-190$ total.
Instead of rebuilding mine id save me the time and hassle. Im gonna have to find a forum on a "how to procedure" seeing i cant find
one on YouTube surprisingly. And a tool list to buy.

For the transmission:
I called a local foreign car shop who works on tons of Bmw's and jags. Every time i pass by there hes got a different jaguar out front.
He quoted me like around 250$ for fluid and filter change (called about a month ago). And seemed very educated about our specific ZF transmission.
Probably just gonna take it to him. And wish for the best.

For High Horse:
I dont know anything my self about how to do any of the transmission rebuild kits stuff (maybe best for me to let a shop handle that).
Would tranny shops let me use your kit. I might still be interested. Well have to exchange numbers or something.
Also are you located close to Buffalo? If so after all this crazy virus stuff isn't going around anymore id be nice to meet up and show our cars off.

Thanks again 👍
17 year old enthusiast
2001 jaguar xj8 107,000 miles

Old 03-28-2020 | 10:24 PM
Veteran Member

Before you have your transmission fluid and filter serviced, I’d HIGHLY recommend having this installed. You have to take the filter out anyways in order to get to this. It’ll save any further wear on your transmissions front drum which are prone to breakage due to this being worn/defective. Keep in mind this pressure regulator is for a valve body that doesn’t have much wear. There is another kit out there that is meant for a valve body that does have wear. I’m sure somebody else will chime in with a link to it. Speak with your transmission guy first. Maybe he has input on this.

Amazon Amazon

Old 03-29-2020 | 12:30 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by youngowner
For High Horse:
I dont know anything my self about how to do any of the transmission rebuild kits stuff (maybe best for me to let a shop handle that).
Would tranny shops let me use your kit. I might still be interested. Well have to exchange numbers or something.
Also are you located close to Buffalo? If so after all this crazy virus stuff isn't going around anymore id be nice to meet up and show our cars off.

Thanks again 👍
17 year old enthusiast
2001 jaguar xj8 107,000 miles
Sorry...I'm in Central FL, hence my location stated in the top right. But it would have been nice to meet up. Be sure to check other areas of this site for get togethers, https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/regional-34/
I've sold my kit, another member jumped on it...but they're readily available on eBay and such. Just go to the Transgo site to get the correct one and listen to Addicted he is correct.