XJ XJ8 / XJR ( X308 ) 1997 - 2003

An epiphany

Search this Thread

Old 04-05-2013 | 04:04 AM
|
Default An epiphany

Normally, I am envious of all the jag-drivers in Socal, Florida, Texas or southern Europe. Or jag-drivers elsewhere where the weather is great all the time. Their climate allows them to use their Jags whenever they want whereas we in the outskirts of the habitable zones of earth have to deal with salt- and gravel-drenched roads during the winter.

But. Here's a different perspective. Yesterday I got my car out of winter storage (don't have my own garage). Saw it for the first time in five months and guess what – it's like getting a new car. Every spring. Everything feels different, new and exciting. After driving the winter beater around for five months it is a frekkin awesome feeling.

One that is exclusive to us. In your face, awesome-climate-people of the world.

And here it is, i all its glory. Washed and ready to take on the roads.

Attached Thumbnails An epiphany-bild13.jpg   An epiphany-bild12.jpg  
Old 04-05-2013 | 07:54 AM
Veteran Member

Great looking Jag. You'll obviously enjoying driving it :-)

Cheers
DD

The following users liked this post:
ChristianXJ (04-05-2013)
Old 04-05-2013 | 08:39 AM
GGG

Your XJ8 looks great.

My Jaguars have always been used as daily drivers and don't look anywhere near as good.

Graham

ChristianXJ (04-05-2013)
Old 04-05-2013 | 09:22 AM

Some of us are born into miserable weather, and we stick it out. We "make do". We drive "winter beaters" half the year, we pay for storage on the nice cars,....and then we go to "work" around the world! Once the military "teaches" us that the "home" is where you hang your hat, you move to a more pleasant living conditions, and forget the climate you came from. And that's how I ended up in SoCal.

And if this state would not be such a "land-o-flakes", with stupid laws and policies, I'd stay here for the rest of my life. But as it is,....going somewhere where the weather is not so great (but the people are!), seems like the "final solution". Tired of being "homeless" I guess.

I like that Jag in the pic! But I like them all. A neighbor (an older guy), came to me the other day to see "what it is that I know and he doesn't" (his words). Said he saw me and my wife both driving older Jags, and as far as he knows, they are the "unreliable, maintenance nightmares". I told him that we (the Jag owners) like the world thinking that, and we tell everyone not to buy them. It keeps the prices low, and we have plenty to choose from!

Old 04-05-2013 | 09:37 AM

Hejsan! I used to live in Ostermalm for years...

Old 04-05-2013 | 12:32 PM
|
Smile

Thanks Doug, I sure will!

GGG: But you live on the very island where these cars were made – you can always say they're in their natural habitat, regardless of the weather. Btw that XK8 with sepangs looks brilliant.

Danielsand: I think that pretty much sums it up. Great story. And regarding your neighbor, there's nothing (okay, I can think of a few things) more satisfying than being approached in the street by someone who admires the lines of your car but dismisses it as a piece of s*** quality-wise. Because you know he's wrong, and deep inside I think he does as well. He's just to scared to take the leap. And to realize he has been missing out all these years.

Hejsan Princemarko! I lived in Östermalm until one year ago, not far from Karlaplan! But I must admit Tampa has some pros over Östermalm. What brought you here?

Old 04-05-2013 | 12:53 PM
GGG

Originally Posted by danielsand
............. A neighbor (an older guy), came to me the other day to see "what it is that I know and he doesn't" (his words). Said he saw me and my wife both driving older Jags, and as far as he knows, they are the "unreliable, maintenance nightmares". I told him that we (the Jag owners) like the world thinking that, and we tell everyone not to buy them. It keeps the prices low, and we have plenty to choose from!
Originally Posted by ChristianXJ
.......... there's nothing (okay, I can think of a few things) more satisfying than being approached in the street by someone who admires the lines of your car but dismisses it as a piece of s*** quality-wise. Because you know he's wrong, and deep inside I think he does as well. He's just to scared to take the leap. And to realize he has been missing out all these years.........
One of the pleasures in life is the neighbours with their new cars looking wistfully at my Jaguar and saying 'I wish I could afford one of those'. If they only knew!

Graham

Old 04-05-2013 | 05:29 PM

That's a pretty kitty!
You must be proud!
Love that green!

ChristianXJ (04-06-2013)
Old 04-06-2013 | 09:43 AM

Originally Posted by ChristianXJ
Thanks Doug, I sure will!

Hejsan Princemarko! I lived in Östermalm until one year ago, not far from Karlaplan! But I must admit Tampa has some pros over Östermalm. What brought you here?
I was bouncing around Europe and some friends lived there so i said...why not? LOVED Stockholm.. would move back in a heartbeat. Cafe Opera, Stureplan, Spy Bar, waking up to hot blondes on a Sunday morning... those were the days...

Tampa has NOTHING over Ostermalm... NOTHING. Even though the weather is nice here, i'd still trade it for Stockholm.

ChristianXJ (04-06-2013)
Old 04-06-2013 | 10:07 AM

Originally Posted by GGG
One of the pleasures in life is the neighbours with their new cars looking wistfully at my Jaguar and saying 'I wish I could afford one of those'. If they only knew!

Graham
I used to get that a lot. It was really fun, and my wife and I would look at each other and laugh.

We'd joke about not wanting to park next to the "Average" cars.

Old 04-06-2013 | 12:21 PM
Veteran Member

That is one shinny Jag Christian.

Enjoy the Spring/Summer.

ChristianXJ (04-06-2013)