XJ XJ8 / XJR ( X308 ) 1997 - 2003

Exit Notes

Search this Thread

Old 12-19-2012, 07:33 AM
Received 23 Likes on 10 Posts
Default Exit Notes

I am sad to say I have traded-in my '01 XJ8L, not because it was finally unrepairable, but because it will be more costly to repair than I can afford right now. For those who are considering this model, some notes for whatever they are worth:

It cost about $5000 per year to own, including purchase price and major repairs, the final blow not included. I bought it from the original owner three years ago for just under $10K and the major repairs were rebuilding the timing chains & tensioners post-failure and repairing the transmission C-Drum. So all in all about $15K spent over the time I owned it.

The fatal blow was the disintegration of one of the cups that holds the valve shims in place. Though I believe I could rebuild them all myself for well under $1000, I'm just not up to it and my mechanic wanted $2700 for doing all of the cups and setting the clearances on both sides. In hind site, I wish I had included the replacement of these parts when I had the heads machined and checked during the timing system rebuild.

The little things: failure of the audible chime for the turn signals, loss of heater for reasons undetermined (in Florida who cares?), ABS/TRAC light on the entire time I owned it, no windshield washer function, and the paint on the hood began turning from black to white toward the end.

The happy note in the sad song is that it was a great car to drive and I loved every mile. Classy lines, long, smooth running and powerful on the good days, and so comfortable. I would absolutely buy another if I didn't require low-cost dependable transport for now, though most likely an '03 or '04.

To this forum - the very best place to get help and advice in times of need - and all its members - stay safe and thanks for everything.

The following 2 users liked this post by jaginblack:
steveinfrance (12-19-2012), xjrguy (12-19-2012)
Old 12-19-2012, 08:36 AM
Veteran Member
Received 687 Likes on 590 Posts

Sorry you're leaving us - Merry Christmas and thanks for the kind words.

The following users liked this post:
jaginblack (12-20-2012)
Old 12-19-2012, 08:56 AM
GGG
Received 16,858 Likes on 12,186 Posts

Sad to see you go although the reasons are easily understood.

You've had three years driving one of the truly great cars and the memory of that will always stay with you.

Hope circumstances change allowing you to get back to Jaguar again in the future.

Best wishes,
Graham

jaginblack (12-20-2012)
Old 12-19-2012, 11:45 AM
Received 238 Likes on 168 Posts

Originally Posted by sandy85
good luck with your pursuits.
It is expensive car to own, but so is every higher end car, every young timer and every old timer.
I am not happy about it either, but so is fact and i had similar expenses even with german cars and know people who spend more moneys on cigarettes or alcohol then i did on the car, so it is not as bad hobby as it seems.
I wonder which is worse for a person's health-cigarettes & alcohol, or the raw terror of waiting for the Jag's timing chain tensioners to self-destruct & the transmission 'A' drum to shatter, along with the contents of your bank balance

Anyway, sorry you're leaving & good luck with your future automotive endeavours!

jaginblack (12-20-2012)
Old 12-19-2012, 06:18 PM
Received 282 Likes on 176 Posts

All I can say is sorry. It takes a special person to own a special car. Not much "special", just stubborn. I form a "relationship" with my cars, at least they stay with me as long as I want them, and they don't take half of my money with them. There is no "logical" reason to own something like this. There are cars out there that are MUCH cheaper to own. But "it's only money",..... and you can't take it with you.

There is no "logical" reason to marry a 22 year old German girl, and "import" her to the States either, ....but boy, was that a fun time! Life is short, gotta get out of it whatever comes to your mind (as long as you don't hurt anyone!), and when the time comes, you can say "I'm ready,.... any day is a good day to die!"

I love my cars. I even give them names,....and when it comes to my Cat,....money is not an issue. I agree with Sandy, ....people spend way more on harmfull things, than keeping one of these magnificent machines on the road (although I smoke AND drink!). I would never light up one of my Monte Christos in my Cat (or in my house!), but you get my drift. Keeping up with the repairs my Cat needs, is a form of challenge, and I am not a quitter!

I understand many people out there are not in my possition, and I get the OP's reasoning. I hope things turn around for you, and you find another cat you can fall in love with, down the line.

Jaguars are like horses (and I own five of them!),......unless you LOVE to take care of them, you should not own one. Horses cost about 150 a head to feed every month,....plus shoes every six weeks ($100.- per horse), plus vet bills (every visit starts at $250.-), plus all the tack, cleanup, corrals, water,......the list goes on.

And there are five dogs too! Three motorcycles, and a boat,.....a lot of money going out every month (boat slip alone is $1250.- a month, not to mention the gas at $6.- a gallon in Newport Beach!). So I'm right back to,....."it's only money". If you need more,.....just make more!

It would be a sad day if I ever have to part with any of my "pets" (and that includes all the machines too!), but that's unlikely. In the words of one of my favorite movie characters,...."a man has to know his limitations".

To the OP: I wish you all the best, happy Holidays,......and a new Cat in the New Year!

The following 3 users liked this post by danielsand:
Highway Star (12-20-2012), jaginblack (12-20-2012), sandy85 (12-20-2012)
Old 12-19-2012, 06:52 PM
Veteran Member
Received 9,010 Likes on 4,113 Posts

Jaginblack - Its all been said my friend.

I do understand your reasons and wish you good luck and fortune in whatever car you get into in the future.

Thanks so much for the kind words and please remember, you're always welcome here Jag or no Jag......Lets be honest you'll be into another one at some point.....lol

All my best

jaginblack (12-20-2012)