XJ XJ8 / XJR ( X308 ) 1997 - 2003

Experience binding while connecting torque converter ?

Search this Thread

Old 10-27-2015, 11:42 AM
Received 21 Likes on 13 Posts
Default Experience binding while connecting torque converter ?

I have a Jaguar 2000 xj8 vp and as many have followed my efforts to get her back on the road from and broken "a" drum I am starting a new thread for this part if that is okay?

While currently in the middle of a rain delay I am re-searching and pondering my issue with a binding or locking after putting in the second bolt on my drive/flexplate to torque converter. With no bolts connected both will rotate about like they always do, while doing this step. But after I put in the second bolt (not torqued) and start rotating to the third bolt hole it binds up solidly and feels about like it did when I installed the piece without fully seating the torque converter in the shaft from the transmission locking both so no rotation was possible from torque converter or the driveshaft. This question could probably be for anyone experiencing the problem on tranny's other than the zf 5 HP 24 which when well, is terrific, but not known for reliabilty.

Any ideas on fixing this or even diagnosing the problem. I am open to a "5th" install if necessary. One not mentioned is when I dropped a bolt behind the drive-plate. Which is a painful lesson well learned.

I plan on seeing if there is a large gap between the pads on the TC and the drive-plate. Some sites say a washer kept the torque converter from pulling too far forward.

Any ideas welcome, ths has be a long slow process, I'd love a "W" as the footballers say, the boys deserves a win, if he works hard...... Will P

Old 10-28-2015, 01:23 AM
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Hi Will,

I am thinking that perhaps as you are rotating the flex plate, torque converter combination to the third bolt hole the first flex plate bolt may be binding on the back of the engine block which may be aggravated by the second flex plate bolt drawing the torque converter forward and causing the bind. I would suggest threading the first flex plate bolt in all of the way and then backing it off one full turn and continuing this until all of the bolts are started.
Hope this helps
Niels

The following users liked this post:
Will P (10-28-2015)
Old 10-28-2015, 05:01 AM
Veteran Member
Received 1,091 Likes on 841 Posts

I agree with Niels. Sounds like the bolt head is hitting the block. If the TC wasn't sat all the way down, it would've bound up before the trans fully mated with the engine. I usually just turn the bolt in 1/2 - 3/4 way down and don't run into any problems.

The following users liked this post:
Will P (10-28-2015)
Old 10-28-2015, 07:20 AM
Received 21 Likes on 13 Posts

Burntatf and Addicted to boost thanks for your response. I will try this, hopefully today if the rain clears and post a response. Sounds correct, the previous times I actually just torqued it on the first go and had no troubles but after reading up after I didn't have the torque converrter fully seated in the tranmission bell housing, I saw where they said put them in loose first soooo this time I put them in after a turn or so and it locked up. I thought it was pulling the torque converter into a bind but it could be the binding is on the heads of the bolts on the front side of the driveplate, hopefully that is the case. Man I'd rather not have to do a fifth install on this, My fingers are crossed. As soon as it is dry enough I'll post back... Thanks, Will P