XJ XJ8 / XJR ( X308 ) 1997 - 2003

EZ-Pass/Sunpass/Toll tags & heated windscreens

Search this Thread

Old 10-19-2017, 02:02 PM
Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts
Default EZ-Pass/Sunpass/Toll tags & heated windscreens

I am in Gainesville, FL these days.

I have relatives/friends in West Palm Beach and a friend in Fort Lauderdale. Visits will be relatively frequent. Even a shopping trip/getaway to Orlando or Cocoa Beach would involve tolls. A sunpass makes sense due to lower costs and not having to carry cash.

Per their verbiage, apparently the x308 need a front license plate transponder* as heated windshields (iron compound particles in the glass, I think) interfere with reading the sticker/transponder. From what I understand, this is an issue as well with EZ-passes in the US northeast.

First, is the heated windscreen a feature on all of our cars? Or optional? Any way to check?

Any experiences with windscreen mounted toll tags?

Old 10-19-2017, 07:02 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,354 Likes on 928 Posts

Subscribed.

I don't have a definitive answer for you, but have the same problem.

I am pretty sure heated screens were an option, and you should be able to see the wires at some angles.
Besides, you should have a relay and fuse for it.

In my case, I always thought it was the window tint, but you got me thinking again.

Old 10-20-2017, 02:59 AM
Received 145 Likes on 92 Posts

Hi,

yes, heated windscreen was an option (afaik on all markets).

Best way to find out is to inspect the windscreen for tiny vertical wires. They're best seen when sitting in the car and looking outside.
Or if you're shining a flashlight on the windscreen and hold it at an angle, you should notice them. Best from outside and when it's dusky.

Other clear indication are the wires emerging from the base of the A-pillar into the engine compartment which are connected to the heated windscreen harness.
You'll find a grey 2-way (=2 wires) connector on each side, just adjacent to the hood latch mechanism. To get to them, you have to remove the black bulkhead covers around the hood latches.
The windscreen heater harness merges the two connections and connects to the engine management harness (with two relays). But connection and relays are both located below the throttle body on top of the transmission bell housing and therefore hard to see.

Another indication is a separate button "F" (right side of the DEF=Defrost button) for heating the windscreen on the climate control panel. But having the button doesn't mean neccessarily, that you have the heated windscreen fitted at the moment - they're expensive to replace and maybe a preowner wanted to save some money when replacing a cracked windscreen and therefore fitted the regular one without changing out the control panel as well. See pictures for control panel with and without front windscreen heating button.

By the way: The heating wires do not cover the entire windscreen area. At the outer left and right edge there's some uncovered area (around 6-10 cm at each side, at the bottom more uncovered spacea available as at the top, see attached picture). Maybe it's worth trying to put the sticker there.

Attached Thumbnails EZ-Pass/Sunpass/Toll tags & heated windscreens-heated-windshield.jpg  
Attached Images   
Old 10-20-2017, 04:20 AM
Veteran Member
Received 475 Likes on 355 Posts

If you’ve not got a button on the dash for a Front heated screen, you haven’t got a heated screen. Very simple to check.
The heated screen was an option on most models, but in the UK from 2000 onwards it was standard on Sovereign and XJR models.
I’ve used toll tags on all my XJ’s and they’ve all had headed front screens, but this was a physical box unit not a sticker stuck to the screen.
As stated above it might be an idea to try sticking it on the edges of the screen where there are no elements.

Old 10-20-2017, 07:28 AM
Veteran Member
Received 1,119 Likes on 857 Posts

My 98' XJR has a replacement windshield when it suffered damages in 2005 hurricane Katrina here in Florida. It has a heated windshield now but no supporting functions to make it work. I speculate that a replacement windshield at that time may have been in demand?? Not sure. Anyways, I can't comment on the sunpass as I have never needed one.

Old 10-20-2017, 10:29 AM
Veteran Member
Received 496 Likes on 377 Posts

The heated front seems pretty rare on US cars. XJR2014 has the right idea though, if you don't have that front heater button next to your rear defroster button, you don't have the heated windscreen.

Old 10-20-2017, 02:39 PM
Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Heh. Thank you for the easy check. No, I do not have the heated windscreen.

This will make Florida life MUCH easier.

Many tolled roads/exits as in Orlando and all tolled roads in the Miami area are Sunpass only with occasional toll-by-plate. No cash. Avoiding tolled roads in Miami is a royal PITA and adds serious time. Rather than deal with bills showing up at the house with admin charges or taking crazy routes, now I can at least relax.

YAY.

P.S. If you visit FL for a road trip, being a cash customer in toll areas is a PITA.