XJ XJ8 / XJR ( X308 ) 1997 - 2003

Fading, oxidized, decklid

Search this Thread

Old 11-02-2015, 02:57 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Fading, oxidized, decklid

If you would like specific information on how to perform this procedure please let me know.

Thanks

Old 11-02-2015, 11:49 AM
Veteran Member
Received 1,020 Likes on 741 Posts

If your's is like mine it is clear coat failure & needs to be sanded & repainted.

Godspeed

Old 11-02-2015, 12:18 PM
Veteran Member
Received 420 Likes on 320 Posts

Why don't you just post the procedure here? That's rather the point of the forum, to post useful information.

Old 11-02-2015, 02:58 PM
Default Clear coat procedure

I will try to post a video but here is the steps and materials I used.

Tools:
Variable speed D/A buffer

Meguiars M0116 Medium Cut Compound/Foam cutting pad

Meguiars D30016 DA Microfiber Correction Compound/Meguiars Microfiber Cutting 5.5" DA Pads

Meguiars D30216 DA Microfiber Polish/Meguiars Microfiber Finishing 6.5" DA Pads

Microfiber Towels

A bottle of good spray wax

Start by cleaning the area to be treated and let dry. Apply 4 dime size dollops of M0116 to foam cutting pad and work into a area of no more then 2 square ft. The first pass should be set at speed level 1 on the D/A with light pressure (basically the weight of the machine) and work product in. Move to speed setting 2 and do not add more product because a little goes a long way; at least for 2 square ft, with about 3-5 pounds of pressure and work area. Move the D/A to setting 3 (do not add product) and pass at 5-8 pounds of pressure. After you reached a satisfying result wipe clean with microfiber towel then apply a small amount of spray wax to the microfiber towel and clean the worked area to remove leftover coumpond.

Next use the microfiber D/A cutting pad and apply 4 pea sized drops of D30015 onto pad. Use the spray wax and lightly spray pad and coumpond (no more then 2 squirts) and work a 2 square ft area. Set the D/A to 1 when starting to avoid sling and spread product evenly then move to setting 4 with 5-7 pounds of pressure in overlapping passes then wipe clean with microfiber towel.

Next use the microfiber D/A finishing pad and apply 4 pea sized drops of D30216 to pad. Set D/A to 1; again to avoid sling and spread product evenly over 2 square ft area, then set D/A to 5 and use overlapping passes at 3-4 pounds of pressure. Now buff area with microfiber towel.

Finish by applying your favorite sealer wax.

Tips: buy a good stiff brush and keep pads clean during use by setting the D/A to 3 and lightly pressing the brush to the pad. The amount of pressure to the D/A and amount of product on pad will vary so use the above information as a ballpark/guideline. Work small areas at a time to avoid overheating the pad and allowing product to dry. When working a 2 square foot area leave a bit of hazed coumpond on the edges when buffing with microfiber towel to help keep track of finished sections.

Last edited by PNW_MJJJ; 11-02-2015 at 03:10 PM. Reason: Poor grammar
The following users liked this post:
kp98xj8 (11-03-2015)
Old 11-04-2015, 12:42 AM
Default Finished Product

Old 11-04-2015, 12:58 AM
Default I was also quoted for a repaint.... but

Originally Posted by King Charles
If your's is like mine it is clear coat failure & needs to be sanded & repainted.

Godspeed
Look at the results without a repaint.

Old 11-04-2015, 01:23 AM
Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

Jesus man, that car looks amazing - better than/as good as a factory paint job for a demo at an auto car show.

My only comment to others generally would be that cutting compound does remove paint (clearcoat in this case), and you can take off too much if you aren't skilled. I would only use this method as a last resort to try to avoid a respray.

Your care and attention to detail is impressive, and the color of that car is amazing - I don't ever see cars of this type in that color around it seams.

Old 11-04-2015, 03:44 AM
Default I would agree to a certain degree

Originally Posted by capitaineInsano
Jesus man, that car looks amazing - better than/as good as a factory paint job for a demo at an auto car show.

My only comment to others generally would be that cutting compound does remove paint (clearcoat in this case), and you can take off too much if you aren't skilled. I would only use this method as a last resort to try to avoid a respray.

Your care and attention to detail is impressive, and the color of that car is amazing - I don't ever see cars of this type in that color around it seams.
High end cars like Jaguar, BMW, Mercedes, and others have 8-10 lbs of primer, paint, and clear coat. This gives a novice more meat to work with.

Mgquires medium cut coumpond is user friendly unlike heavy cut coumpond. Combined with a foam pad and a D/A it would take a lot of careless behavior to cause irreversible damage.

The detailer kit from Mgquires combines microfiber pads and a very user friendly coumpond. Anyone taking on this task alone should realize that care is king. Take your time. To coumpond, polish, and wax a 2 square ft section takes about 15-20 min. You will invest 10-13 hours for results like this.

I'm very flattered that you recognized my hard work and attention to detail. I agree about the color. I've yet to see another on the road.