XJ XJ8 / XJR ( X308 ) 1997 - 2003

FAIL error codes ABS light 1998 XJ8

Search this Thread

Old 06-14-2009, 04:54 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default FAIL error codes ABS light 1998 XJ8

Hi, the 98 XJ8 with 95k miles has the ABS light on. It also has the red and amber light on for Traction control fail and stability failure.

What might these error mean?

Also my code scanner reads P0174 too lean, Bank 2. could it be the motor oil not thick enough?

Any help for the noob be great.

Old 06-15-2009, 08:52 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,064 Likes on 867 Posts

Jagster 18:
Your engine oil might not be thick enough (you didn't say what's in it) but I can tell you with relative certainty it has nothing to do with either problem.
Your ABS could very well be a bad ABS moduel, there is a known defect that can be repaired yourself or by some online Jag specialty guys ( DIY requires sawing a module apart, soldering and re-assembling). The lean could very well be a broken part load or full load bypass hose. Look carefully at the small plastic pipes leaving the ait intake plenum towards the engine.
Good Luck

Old 06-17-2009, 10:29 PM
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

I've had intermittant hits of both P0174 AND P0171 on a 2000 VDP. I've also gotten the ABS / Track control failure. In my case just before one of the components on the circuit fails, I start getting the problem. I've had two ignition coils fail and about a week leading up to the problem I start getting symptoms similar to yours. It's a result of the missfire and the TPS voltage. If it's any help the the JTIS for a 98 XJ8 Says:

P0174 B bank combustion too lean Engine at normal operating temperature;

If DTC P0171 is also flagged, ECM:
– Limits engine speed to 3000 rpm
– Inhibits canister purge*
– Inhibits EGR Exhaust leak (before catalyst)

Possible causes:
Engine misfire
Fuel pressure regulator failure (low fuel pressure)
Air intake leak between MAFS and throttle
Fuel filter, system blockage
Low fuel pump output
HO2S harness wiring condition fault
ECM receiving incorrect signal fromone or more of the following components:
ECTS, MAFS, IATS, TPS

Old 06-26-2009, 03:47 PM
Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

For what it is worth I am experiencing the same thing except my ABS light is somewhat intermittant. I get the "lean" code and my short term fuel trim is like +25%.

I am nearly certainly my intake manifold is seriously leaking. I can spary carb cleaner around the edges of the manifold and the car will choke abit then resume "normal" idle.

I really don't understand why but does anyone know if low vacuum could create the ABS fault condition?

Old 06-26-2009, 04:27 PM
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

I have two xjrs and had the benefit of swaping parts to isolate an ABS?Trac failure problem. I started with the wheel sensors, taking each one out and replacing it with a known good sensor from my other car. I managed to swap out all the sensors from one car to the other without stopping the problem. I did get the opportunity to clean each one thoroghly. I then swapped out the abs control unit. relatively simple, if you have a 4mm star wrench. The problem was solved. You might stop reading now, but don't.....

The ABS control unit can be rebuilt by a company on ebay for $125, a real savings over getting a new one. You buy the unit, the guy emails a mailing label, you put it on the boxed unit and send it away. The company has it for a day or two, and then ships it back. Use the next day shipping option or it is a two week turnaround. You might want to stop reading now, but don't....

So I read the web site for the rebuild and the guy says you can take out the module and drive without it, but you won't have antilock brakes. So I chose the cheap shipping, because the antilock brakes had not been working for a while, so who cares about the turn around time. I mailed off the unit. Too bad the ECU gets all of its speed information from the unit. Too bad the transmission gets its speed information from the ECU. Too bad 30 miles an hour is the max speed at 5000 rpm. Two weeks is a long time....

Good luck!