XJ XJ8 / XJR ( X308 ) 1997 - 2003

Failure to charge the battery

Search this Thread

Old 05-18-2014, 12:57 PM
Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts
Default Failure to charge the battery

Hi all,

My car had developed a whine that sounded to me to electrical in nature. You could hear it outside the car and with the radio on you could hear in through the speakers. I had just driven about 2000 miles that way and the car seemed fine albeit with that infernal whine. I had no warnings lights indicating discharge and the car started and ran normally. Since I'm fairly particular about things like this, I ordered a rebuilt Denso right from the rebuilder. It arrived on Thursday of last week...I planned to change it out this weekend. So on Friday, my wife and I jump in the car and it fails to come out of park and I suddenly have the ABS and Trac control waring lights. Turn the car off to reset and it just clicks in response to the key turn. No bg deal, I throw the battery charger on it and we head off to dinner. The next day, with the battery nicely charged, the car starts right up and comes out of park. There are no warning lights at all. I open e boot and measure the voltage across the battery...11.8V. Obviously somethingis wrong in the charging department...chuckle.

So I changed the alternator, reassembled everything and started the car. Got 14.2V on startup, dropping to 13.8V after a few minutes. The whine is gone and everything works as per normal.

So now the questions: why wouldn't I get the battery warning light in the scenario? It does light up on system check so the bulb is good. And, I saw no noise filter for the alternator...I thought there was one on these cars. It doesn't need it as everything's quiet now..I'm just wondering.

All in all, the part change out was easy..took the better part of an hour...

Take care,