XJ XJ8 / XJR ( X308 ) 1997 - 2003

Fascia lights going off when I indicate!

Search this Thread

Old 11-03-2008, 06:02 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Fascia lights going off when I indicate!

When I indicate to turn right (only right), the lights behind the central fascia controls (heater, radio, etc) are extinguished!! It's no real problem, and I've checked that nothing externally is affected, but when driving at night it's very distracting and very noticeable. Sounds like a short, or loose wire, in the indicator arm mechanism, but I wondered if anyone had had this problem before? Also, any thoughts/instructions on how to go about accessing the relevant area within the steering column?

My car's the 1998 XJ8 4litre. A beauty, which I've had for almost eight years now, having bought her as a two-year old. (The other beauty in the attached pic is Tanja, my daughter's friend...I don't have a pic of the Jag on its own just now!)

Old 11-03-2008, 07:38 AM
Received 7 Likes on 3 Posts
Default RE: Fascia lights going off when I indicate!

My car used to flash the high beams whenever I'd signal for lane changes and it turned out to be a flakey turn signal switch assembly. I replaced it and all is well but it did cost me right around $200 for the part.

Now having dash lights act upthat is strange but there is some weird mojo going on as to how that cheesey tiny turn signal switch does so many things so who knows. Maybe worth a try.

It is not terribly hard to change if you're not afraid to pull a steering wheel.

Old 11-04-2008, 05:52 AM

Thanks chasman, for the encouraging words. I'll give it a go.

New to this forum, and couldn't get my photo into the message area, like others seem to do. Kept telling me that the photo file was too big! It accepted it as an attachment though. Any suggestions on how I can get pics into the body of the message?

Thanks
Peter

Old 11-04-2008, 06:01 PM
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Hi there

I had this problem on my 1999 XJ8 when turning right.

Reomve the cowl around the stalks by removing 2 or 3 screws from under the cowl (you won't be able to remove the bottom cowl due to the instrument rheostat, just push it out of the way for now)

There are several wires running down from the middle of the indicator stalk, check that noneof these (the green one I think) is trapped or broken. If it is trapped then release it, If is is broken then wriggle the wire until you locate the break, cut, resolder a small piece of wire back inand heat shrink tube over it.

Mine only took 10 minutes to fix as it was trapped.

Good luck if you have to re-solder as there didn't look to be much room to manouvre under there.

Old 11-04-2008, 06:35 PM
Received 2,190 Likes on 1,357 Posts

quit indicating
but seriously, does it blink with tha same intentisity as turning on and off? or just blinks diminly? If bright, suspect a cross short, if dim usually a loose ground

Old 11-04-2008, 07:15 PM
Received 7 Likes on 3 Posts

Good tips and if it is the wiring replacing the switch will get you new wires all the way down to the area above the knee bolster.

Old 11-05-2008, 05:30 AM

Thanks all for the really helpful tips, I'm going to do just what GW2059 has suggested and see what's going on in there. For info, the fascia lights are going out altogether when I indicate, so a wire being trapped does sound like a possibility, which would maybe pull it out of contact when the stalk is moved up (indicating right), so I'm hoping that's what it is. Many thanks again everyone, great to know you're all out there for us!

Old 11-05-2008, 06:16 AM

Hey guys, I've done it!! Just as GW2059 said, there was a trapped wire, so I just kept pressing gently to release it and then pushed all the wires in the direction of the connection, and it's cured the problem. Most difficult bit was getting the cowl screws back in! Thanks again everyone. Result!!