XJ XJ8 / XJR ( X308 ) 1997 - 2003

A few issues w/ my Jag

Search this Thread

Old 02-16-2012, 08:04 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default A few issues w/ my Jag

While parking today I did a wide hard right turn into my parking space & the car started making a strange whooshing sound from the front right wheel area & stopped moving half way into the spot. I pressed the gas & nothing. Then shifted into reverse & drive a few times w/out feeling the transmission engage in either gear. I put it back into drive & gave it a little more gas heard another couple of whoosh sounds and made it into the spot. It sounded like a stuck brake caliper or maybe wheel bearing.

A similar thing happened a couple of weeks ago when I let my mom borrow the car. As she was driving away I heard a ch ch ch ch (whooshing) sound. That time I got in the car/floored it down the street and the noise stopped.

Just wondering if others have had the same issue & what it may be. The car has 66K miles on it. Thanks.

Old 02-16-2012, 09:12 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,111 Likes on 932 Posts

Welcome to the forum but what kind of car and model year do you have?

Old 02-17-2012, 05:35 AM
Veteran Member
Received 343 Likes on 297 Posts

When the car would not move --- did the engine RPM's rise rapidly.

Whenever you have a problem -- flooring it down the road is not the way to fix it .......... especially if you have any kind of possible transmission problem.

The fluid may be low and when you turned quickly the transmission may have sucked air ....... I can't see how any mechanical problem at one wheel would stop the car from moving and then go away ..... plus this has no control over the transmission shifting from drive to reverse.

Have you ever had the transmission fluid checked?

Old 02-18-2012, 08:04 AM
Veteran Member
Received 1,360 Likes on 1,070 Posts

I've read the 'floor it' too many times......why do people do this? if the car shows a fault, putting strain on it will lead to one thing, a broke part and big bill. No mechanical sympathy.

Good luck with the new tranny.

Old 02-18-2012, 10:38 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Welcome to the forum but what kind of car and model year do you have?
Its a 1998 XJ8

When the car would not move --- did the engine RPM's rise rapidly.

Whenever you have a problem -- flooring it down the road is not the way to fix it .......... especially if you have any kind of possible transmission problem.

The fluid may be low and when you turned quickly the transmission may have sucked air ....... I can't see how any mechanical problem at one wheel would stop the car from moving and then go away ..... plus this has no control over the transmission shifting from drive to reverse.

Have you ever had the transmission fluid checked?
I gave it gas very gingerly in fear of it hitting the car parked in the space in front of me & was not paying attention to the RPMs. It did not seem to be free revving.

I've read the 'floor it' too many times......why do people do this? if the car shows a fault, putting strain on it will lead to one thing, a broke part and big bill. No mechanical sympathy.

Good luck with the new tranny.
People do this to diagnose problems with their cars. If I wanted mechanical sympathy when something broke I would of bought a different car, like a Lexus, lol. Its a luxury performance car with no check engine lights or restricted performance warnings. I bought this car expecting to replace a few things (chain tensioners, transmission, etc.). I'm just trying to see if anyone has had anything similar happen w/ their car. I once owned a old Camaro I had to power brake in reverse to get it to shift gears normally in forward. That was a $400 car & drove for over a year. I'm in the used car business but am keeping the Jag as a personal car.

I had a friend come over to look at it. He jammed on the brakes a couple times shifted through the gears & the car drove fine. We did get it to lock up again. He gave it gas in reverse with a loud popping sound and tires chirping then again drove fine.

I drove the car the following day w/ no issues & dropped it off at the mechanic to get the hood latch fixed, transmission fluid checked & brakes checked. While there I met a fellow dealer w/ same generation XK8 who has a connection to get all the tensioners replaced for $650.

Old 02-18-2012, 06:34 PM
Veteran Member
Received 2,183 Likes on 1,623 Posts

Originally Posted by Jbizz
I had a friend come over to look at it. He jammed on the brakes a couple times shifted through the gears & the car drove fine. We did get it to lock up again. He gave it gas in reverse with a loud popping sound and tires chirping then again drove fine.
More "diagnostics"?

The only thing you are confirming is that there is something drastically wrong with the car.