XJ XJ8 / XJR ( X308 ) 1997 - 2003

A few questions...

Search this Thread

Old 07-02-2010, 09:46 AM
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Default A few questions...

I am loving my new 1998 VDP and appreciate all the knowledge posted here.

I do have a few random questions though...

1. How do I know if the engine is the supercharged model? (Are all VDP supercharged?)

2. Is this car wired for reverse sensors? (beep beep when backing up close to an object?)

3. Do most of you drive in Sport or Normal mode? I think I understand the difference, but is there that much difference in terms of fuel economy? (And of course I use the work economy lightly!) Will I burn that much ore fuel in Sport mode? After a few weeks, I just switched over to sport mode and the car does handle differently!

4. If I have the nikasil engine is it possible to "season" the cyls? Like with a long freeway steady speed-consistent drive? Did I understand correctly that a lot of short trip to and fro driving can cause the nikasil problem?

5. Has anyone tried to add an iPhone connection? Or is the better way to go to use a streaming bluetooth connection (and maybe have it wired in?) I am using the Motorola t505 bluetooth streaming speakerphone now and it is spotty. Lots of interference ( but that may be because the airwaves in LA are so crowded!)

Thanks all... I do love my new ride! I have named her The Dame, for Dame Agatha Christie (affectionately called Jagatha)

Joolz

Last edited by joolz; 07-02-2010 at 09:59 AM.
Old 07-02-2010, 09:51 AM
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

One more question...

Is premium fuel necessary every tank? Can I get the same effect if I alternate or use premium every 3-4 tanks?

Is anyone using additives?

Thanks,

Joolz

Old 07-02-2010, 10:14 AM
Veteran Member
Received 1,111 Likes on 932 Posts

Joolz,

Welcome to the wonderful world of Jaguar!

1. Open the hood. The supercharged has a large 'box' on top of the engine. The normally aspired engine has a bunch of black plastic tubes there.

2. I drive in sports mode all the time because of the roads/hills where I live. If you are on flat land with heavy traffic the normal mode works just fine and produces 1-2 mpg better mileage. Lighting the 'sports' button changes the transmission control module to a different shift program raising the shift points about 300 rpm.

3. A '98 is seasoned as much as it is going to get. One strong word of caution. Don't start a cold, or even cool, Nikasil car and shut it off before it has had a chance to warm up, ie: backing it out of the garage. Do that and you will be using the search phrase 'my car won't start'.

4. The T605 is a popular bluetooth unit to add to the car. The car is substantially already wired for that. See this link https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/s...4&postcount=13

5. I always use regular fuel. See this link for an exhausted discussion. https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/s...ad.php?t=31594

The XK8/R forum has a FAQ sticky with an alphabetical list of almost any subject you would want to discuss.

Last edited by test point; 07-02-2010 at 10:17 AM.
Old 07-02-2010, 11:40 AM
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by test point
Joolz,

Welcome to the wonderful world of Jaguar!

1. Open the hood. The supercharged has a large 'box' on top of the engine. The normally aspired engine has a bunch of black plastic tubes there.

2. I drive in sports mode all the time because of the roads/hills where I live. If you are on flat land with heavy traffic the normal mode works just fine and produces 1-2 mpg better mileage. Lighting the 'sports' button changes the transmission control module to a different shift program raising the shift points about 300 rpm.

3. A '98 is seasoned as much as it is going to get. One strong word of caution. Don't start a cold, or even cool, Nikasil car and shut it off before it has had a chance to warm up, ie: backing it out of the garage. Do that and you will be using the search phrase 'my car won't start'.

4. The T605 is a popular bluetooth unit to add to the car. The car is substantially already wired for that. See this link https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/s...4&postcount=13

5. I always use regular fuel. See this link for an exhausted discussion. https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/s...ad.php?t=31594

The XK8/R forum has a FAQ sticky with an alphabetical list of almost any subject you would want to discuss.
+1

And the reason it doesnt start after a short cold run is because it floods. Depress the gass pedal to cut off fuel flow. Crank it over to burn the fuel off until it begins to come to life and then let off the pedal to resume fuel flow. Takes maybe 30 seconds, but if you dont know to do this it will cost you so much for nothing. Guaranteed it will happen and you will have to do this. I had a 99 XJ8 for a very short time and this happened once for me and was also documented in the previous owners records of at least once a year. They would tow it to the dealer and just flush the fuel out $500 or more

Old 07-03-2010, 06:56 AM
Received 23 Likes on 10 Posts

There are great links in this forum detailing very well how to tap into the CD Changer to add an aux line in. I bought an iPhone dock connector and went into the center compartment. There is power access (cigar lighter fuse) and ground there and the cable runs back to the trunk where it taps into the CD changer. I have great sound and charging with this setup. I also pulled the fuse for the antenna motor so it stays down, since I am getting streaming radio through the phone.
The car thinks you are playing a CD so the steering wheel volume still works, also.
Good luck - btw, I run premium, and I hit sport mode on Friday for after work drive home and don't go back to normal until Monday morning!