XJ XJ8 / XJR ( X308 ) 1997 - 2003

FINALLY - aftermarket radio and custom fascia in my XJ8 !!!

Search this Thread

Old 03-21-2012, 01:25 PM
Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts
Default XJ8 VDP aftermarket radio install and pics.

For anyone contemplating an after-market radio install in your XJ8, it can be done if your handy, and you probably are or you wouldn't be on this forum.
I will attach some pictures of my install, and list the equipment and appx costs.
First, the custom Radio Adapter Dash Kit is from Greg at sealevel@san.rr.com and cost $67 shipped.

The radio is a Kenwood KDC-X796 from Crutchfield, $300.
The steering wheel control adapter kit is Axxess ASWC from Crutchfield, $70. This worked right away after correctly connecting it, and Crutchfield was very helpful. (Brown ASWC wire goes to Kenwood blue/green). Green/yellow ASWC to Brown/Green in Jaguar original radio harness. Your colors may differ, depending on your MY and model.

The power amp is a Kenwood KAC 1502S. That fits in the trunk hole where the CD changer, etc was.

I had previously replaced the foam surround on the 6X9 dual voice coil stock woofer and it sounds fine.

The door speakers are Pioneer TS-G1643R. $118 for 4. They fit with no mods, except for cutting off the Jaguar connector and soldering directly. I though they sounded less harsh than Kenwood speakers that I've heard.
This completed system sounds so much better than my OEM Alpine premium that there is just no comparison.

In my 2000 VDP all the original speaker wire terminates in the boot, connected originally to the OEM power amplifier. The OEM Alpine premium radio has 12 or 14 conductors that also go to the OEM power amp in the boot. That means you do not need to pull any additional cables. Hook the new radio to the cables that run from the dash to the boot. Hook up your new power amp, door speakers, A pillar speakers, and finish your radio install.

Tracing the wiring from the dash to the boot was the worst part. You need the factory diagram for your car, an Ohmeter, or a signal tracer of some sort.

Attached are two pictures. One is of the installed radio, showing the custom adapter plate from Greg. You can order it with or without the leaper. I think it looks great with it.. The other picture is of the microphone that is hooked to the radio. The radio links through Bluetooth to my EVO 4G smartphone, allowing me to make and receive hands free phone calls.

One concern that I had was, will all the other features of the car still work with the new radio installation. There have been no problems except for one. This radio does not have an on-off switch, so when you go to the carwash, be sure to remember to remove the faceplate first, so the boot antenna will retract!

Regards to all,
B

Attached Thumbnails FINALLY - aftermarket radio and custom fascia in my XJ8 !!!-radio-install-low-rez.jpg   FINALLY - aftermarket radio and custom fascia in my XJ8 !!!-radio-microphone-low-rez.jpg  
The following 2 users liked this post by linuxenigma:
Mayday30 (03-21-2012), XJDanny (04-17-2016)
Old 03-21-2012, 03:52 PM
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Looks Great! Thanks for the detail.

Old 09-23-2012, 06:05 PM
Received 59 Likes on 45 Posts

Uyou mention the green/yellow aswc wire. There is no such color combo??? Ther is orange / green and green / orange ??

Old 09-23-2012, 08:22 PM
Received 59 Likes on 45 Posts

From the axxess web site for x308

1) Connect the Black wire of the ASWC to ground. You may use the same grounding point as the aftermarket radio.
2) Connect the Red wire of the ASWC to a 12 volt accessory wire, one that turns on and off with the ignition key.
3) Connect the Green/Orange wire of the ASWC to pin 2 of the vehicle. Below is a picture of what the connector in the vehicle looks like:
26 WAY CONNECTOR VIEW NOT AVAILABLE This is the pin view of the connector in the vehicle
4) All other wires on the ASWC please tape up, they will not be used.

Old 11-28-2012, 07:35 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Very nice, where Can I get one ? Can or does this have Satellite XM / Sirius capability?

Old 04-12-2016, 09:01 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Dear All, after having read George's 2011 post with big interest, I wanted to do the same with my Jaguar XJ Executive 3.2L V8 (registered 04.2000, VIN = SAJ AA1 3D4 YKF1 4766) and bought a Becker Cascade BE 7944 radio/navigation with Bluetooth as well as a dash kit (fascia, faceplate; in German: Blende) from a US supplier (see JAGUAR XJ 1998-2003 Radio Installation Dash Kit Single Din SATIN BLACK | eBay). Now, regretfully, my auto electrician Bosch service in Weil am Rhein (Germany, near Basel) informs me that they are unable to install the two items in my car. Would anyone of you know a Jaguar workshop or auto electrician in Switzerland or Southern Germany whom I could contact to do that job? According to Bosch, it would be crucial in order to connect the Becker Cascade to have suitable adapters or know the exact PIN allocation of the two centrally located plugs on the back side of the original Jaguar Radio/Cassette device.
Thanks and regards from Zurich
Felixdominik

Old 04-12-2016, 05:08 PM
Received 66 Likes on 36 Posts

For anyone who is thinking about the eBay dashboard kit made by hardtofindautoparts but think the Leaper logo on it looks chintzy I have an option for you. I bought this stick on chrome Leaper off of eBay, see link, and I think it looks tons better then the painted on one that the kit has. It is a little bigger as well so it fills up the blank space much nicer and fits right over the painted one.

2X 95mm Long 3D Leaper Sticker Badge Emblem Logo for Jaguar XF XJ XJL XK F Type | eBay

And here is the pic of it in my car.

Attached Thumbnails FINALLY - aftermarket radio and custom fascia in my XJ8 !!!-image.jpeg  
Old 04-12-2016, 05:33 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,020 Likes on 741 Posts

Yes, Jen that Leaper looks much better imho.

I'm pondering adding a green/chrome growler to my Kenwood's big dial. I just spiffed up everything with chrome bezels & burl wood knob for spring. Just got to measure the dial & find a correct fit, really liking the one below.

Last edited by King Charles; 04-12-2016 at 05:57 PM.
Old 01-21-2018, 07:38 AM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by King Charles
Yes, Jen that Leaper looks much better imho.

I'm pondering adding a green/chrome growler to my Kenwood's big dial. I just spiffed up everything with chrome bezels & burl wood knob for spring. Just got to measure the dial & find a correct fit, really liking the one below.

Looks great!! Wanted to try a 7 inch, where did you pick up the dash kit for your install?? Also what size is the screen? That is exactly the look I am going for.

Old 01-21-2018, 09:27 AM
Veteran Member
Received 1,796 Likes on 1,318 Posts

Along with KC's fascia piece, here's a link to one that looks very similar you can modify for that size unit... https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/x...-piece-165345/ ...the other link from this link, where I mention dc4prez, its post #50.

Old 01-21-2018, 10:39 AM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Highhorse
Along with KC's fascia piece, here's a link to one that looks very similar you can modify for that size unit... https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/x...-piece-165345/ ...the other link from this link, where I mention dc4prez, its post #50.
Thanks a bunch