XJ XJ8 / XJR ( X308 ) 1997 - 2003

Finally got to drive my 1998 XJ8, first impressions.

Search this Thread

Old 03-24-2018, 07:29 PM
Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts
Default Finally got to drive my 1998 XJ8, first impressions.

I bought this car in late December (2017) and three days later went to Europe for 3 weeks. Couldn't register it in December because it wasn't yet 20 years old and thus ineligible for "Historic" tags. In Maryland, an historic vehicle has many advantages, including no inspection requirements as well as the classic car insurance rates which at a declared value of 7K added about 50 dollars a year on my policy which insures other classic vehicles. When I got back to the US in late January 2018, I registered the car but because of bad weather I didn't drive it, it just sat in the garage until I left for Europe again in mid February. I returned to the US a few days ago and there was a snowstorm in the DC area. So I had to wait yet another few days.

I bought the car because we had bought a new XJ6 in 1982 and the whole family loved that car and this XJ8 looks a bit like our old BRG XJ6. Since 1985 we have owned 5-Series Beemers and a few Mercedes E and one C Class. And, a 2008 Mercedes ML320 CDI which I still own, but I now commute with a 2016 Sonata Hybrid. Nice car actually, but not luxurious in any way.

I remembered how nice it was driving the XJ6, and frankly, it was more luxurious and comfortable than the BMW's and Mercedes I had owned since.

So back to the XJ8. The car is almost perfect in every respect in terms of appearance, like a new car actually, even though it has 86K miles. besides the perfect visuals, mechanically, it was maintained meticulously by the original owner, Vint Cerf, known as father of the internet.

So today, the snow had mostly melted and I decided to drive the car. Started right up. I had programmed the integral remote of the XJ8 to open the gate to our place and it worked! I exited our property and the car accelerated nicely and quietly except for a little growl of the V8. I drove it around corners on the country roads around our place and it handled quite well for a relatively big car. I got on a four lane highway and accelerated and it was very quick. Got it up to about 65 and it was quiet and very soothing. I decided to go up to 80 MPH and it was still super nice. Inserted one of the many cassettes I had put in the car (I found them laying around the house unused for years) and the stereo system was impressive. After about 30 miles I decided to return home and before hitting the country road to my place, I had a new Corvette in front of me. The guy took off quickly and I decided to try to keep up with him in the twisties, no problem. I was 2-3 car lengths behind him the whole way.

Anyway, I like the car after my first extensive drive.

Old 03-24-2018, 07:57 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,386 Likes on 1,090 Posts

Does yours have the leaper hood ornament as the corvette driver will wake up in the middle of the night with a dream of not being able to get away from a jaguar .

Old 03-24-2018, 08:02 PM
Veteran Member
Received 343 Likes on 297 Posts

I bought a new V8 VDP in 98 .. kept my 95 I6 VDP at the same time. There were things to like about the straight six XJ's .. nice balance. The V8's are more powerful especially noticeable on the highway. I drove my mothers 82 VDP often back in the day .. actually a high point for Jaguar.

Jaguar got a lot of years out of that platform.

Old 03-24-2018, 08:15 PM
Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by Lady Penelope
Does yours have the leaper hood ornament as the corvette driver will wake up in the middle of the night with a dream of not being able to get away from a jaguar .
Yes, he was thinking just that, as I have the leaper.

Old 03-25-2018, 08:46 AM
Veteran Member
Received 1,110 Likes on 698 Posts

Mine isn't even supercharged, but I get a kick out this when some youngster in a modified muscle car or rice burner pulls away from a stoplight, mufflers screaming a thousand decibels and here's this old bald guy in an old Jag sedan keeping right up with them in complete silence and serenity. I don't even look over at them, no, this is just the way the Jag normally does it. The kid in me tho sometimes wonders what the old Jag would do with an exhaust cut-out - i.e. if the Jag were screaming too but then I remember, oh, yea, this is why I bought it in the first place.