XJ XJ8 / XJR ( X308 ) 1997 - 2003

First Time XJR Buyer

Search this Thread

Old 11-18-2013, 06:49 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default First Time XJR Buyer

Hello folks. Today I am going to lay my eyes on a 2003 XJR before sending it for a pre-purchase inspection at the local Jaguar dealership.

I have done some research on this model but wanted to ask for the experts help in clarifying something for me.

My question is, does the American 2003 XJR with the 4.0 supercharged engine have the issues with the timing chain tensioners? According to the sticky in this forum the answer is no. But the 2003 American XJR is an X308 where the 2003 UK is an X350 and I wanted to make sure that sticky didn't mean the problem disappeared with the introduction of the 4.2 in the UK.

Everything I have read in these forums and on other review websites makes the 2003 XJR seem like the sweetspot car to have. All the engine and transmission problems are gone without the problems of the aluminum body. Seems the only downside is that it's the last year of that nav system and that it can't be updated.

Let me know if that is the case or if I have misread the stickies so I know what to expect and look for. Here is the VIN# SAJDA15B73MF51994 , because I don't want someone to look at me in the future and say, "Oh God, you bought one with a ### in the VIN? What are you, an idiot? Everyone knows not to buy those!"

Thanks in advance.
Robert

Old 11-18-2013, 09:04 AM
Received 283 Likes on 176 Posts

No issues with 2003 US model. You need to check it out like you would any other used car. It is the best year of X308 to have. I would be leary of CATS suspension (I just don't like air suspension), and Brembo brakes. Both are costly to repair (compared with the regular brakes/suspension). Go into "stickies" and print out the "Buyer's guide". It will help.

Old 11-18-2013, 09:21 AM
Received 117 Likes on 54 Posts

I installed bilstien shocks and disconnected the cats module.

I have a 2003 XJR. Check subframe bushings, vacuum leaks, fuel pressure, transmission ... Overall it's a solid car and easy to work with.

How many miles is the one you're after?

Old 11-18-2013, 11:00 AM

Thanks for the replies. Will do as thorough a check as I can but am relying on the Jag dealership to do most of it with their pre-purchase inspection as this car is about 33 years newer than where my "expertise" falls.

The car is being sold by owner and he has agreed without hesitation to have it inspected. He seems pretty proud and confident in his car so that helps ease my mind a little.

Glad to hear I read correctly about the engine. Didn't realize this one had air ride, thought that was 2004. But I see there is a workaround for those in case they go bad. I am happy that this forum exists and there are so many brains to pick.

The car in question has 78k miles.

Already had the buyers guide in hand Am doing what I can to be as prepared as possible.

Thanks again for the info. Now... how to keep an uninterested look on my face when I take this thing for a test drive...

Old 11-18-2013, 11:25 AM
luc
Received 195 Likes on 136 Posts

Originally Posted by danielsand
No issues with 2003 US model. You need to check it out like you would any other used car. It is the best year of X308 to have. I would be leary of CATS suspension (I just don't like air suspension), and Brembo brakes. Both are costly to repair (compared with the regular brakes/suspension). Go into "stickies" and print out the "Buyer's guide". It will help.
CATS have nothing to do with air suspension. CATS have regular suspension ( springs) with a 2 positions (soft and hard) valves in the shock that is controlled electronically based on sensors inputs such as G force

Old 11-18-2013, 09:37 PM

Well it seems it was not meant to be. Seller and I could not meet eye to eye when it came down to it and something didn't seem right so I walked away from that car. I will be moving on to another portion of the forum though as it seems I have gone for my second choice which was a 2004 XJ8. Took it for a test drive and loved it! Better kept than the XJR and I have a feeling I will be happier with this choice. It goes to the dealership for inspection on Wednesday so fingers crossed.

Again, thanks for the help. I'll be in the X350 section trying to learn what I can there.
Robert

Old 11-22-2013, 12:03 AM
Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Good luck with the XJ8! FYI...I'm finding Jag ownership fascinating.