XJ XJ8 / XJR ( X308 ) 1997 - 2003

First Week Report- Not as Trouble Free as I'd Hoped

Search this Thread

Old 06-07-2015, 08:49 AM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default First Week Report- Not as Trouble Free as I'd Hoped

Got tags & title Friday before last. Spent the weekend wiring for my Sirius Sportster (portable unit) & additional power points.

Took it to work Monday morning- 55 miles into Brooklyn NY. Got in to go home & got a "low oil pressure" warning that went out after a few seconds. Didn't come on again (even though I made a few stops).

Tuesday morning I got in & got the "low oil pressure" warning along with illuminated oil light. Took the Town Car to work instead....

Checked the forum & decided maybe "low oil pressure" is synonymous with low oil level. Checked & it was about 1/2 quart low. Added oil & no more lights....

Got to work Thursday & had a "check gas cap" warning. I ensured cap was on correctly (really not sure that it wasn't). Driving home the check engine light came on.

Took the Town Car to work Friday.... Saturday I had the guys at Advance check the engine codes- gas cap. It's on right, so maybe I need a new one (?).

Other issues- passenger door panel is loose & passenger seat motor is weak.

Frankly I expected less drama in the first week from a car with only 63k miles (even though 13 years old).

Old 06-07-2015, 07:41 PM
Received 17 Likes on 13 Posts

There was a recall on the gas caps, so that being at issue is a real possibility. If your warning light system is acting hinky, have your battery load tested- these vehicles are extraordinarily sensitive to weak batteries. If it tests well, then you might try a "hard reset" of the computer by disconnecting the battery terminals, then touching the cables together for a few seconds.
Have whoever you bought it from deal with the door issue !
Cheers...

The following users liked this post:
Red Baron (06-13-2015)
Old 06-13-2015, 07:38 AM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Second week was much better than the first....

Only issue is "low oil pressure" warning came on very briefly Monday morning. Starting to think maybe sensor (another item often mentioned here).

Starting to appreciate the ride & handling qualities (which are quite nice). Although I haven't tested it, it seems as powerful as my old Mustang GT (in an on-going argument with a friend who says it can't be possible given hp of engine & weight of car).

Next week I'll order new tires to replace the worn Falkens on front & BCTs on rear. Also ordered some Kleen Wheels as there seems to be a lot of brake dust.

Old 06-13-2015, 09:06 AM
Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

I had the "low Oil Pressure" signal come on my car in the past. Simply changed the sensor and I was good to go. Easy job to do.

You should also do a load test on the battery and see if its up to scratch.