XJ XJ8 / XJR ( X308 ) 1997 - 2003

Fix or Sell as Is?

Search this Thread

Old 04-18-2016, 05:18 PM
Received 16 Likes on 10 Posts
Default Fix or Sell as Is?

'01 XJR just hit 120k miles.
She is in okay shape (good mechanicals, but some cosmetics (rear bumper scratched up, rock chips, drivers seat warn, some scratches in paint, sun roof panels disconnected, head liner displays the lovely liner savers).

She needs a knock sensor. My plan was she was going to be my project car. Work has been good, but I don't really have time to do that level of project myself. The other side of work being good is I think an X150 XKR has caught my eye and is feasible.

My question on thoughts are, is it worth paying to have her fixed up and then sell her, or just try and sell her as is? Repair is about 1,200$ at my local Indy.

Old 04-18-2016, 05:26 PM
Received 260 Likes on 210 Posts

With most things like that, it's very hard to get back what you're going to spend on the repair, especially in some markets where I've seen those cars going for only a few thousand dollars. Factor in the rest of your minor issues, and then try to gauge by prospective buyers. Unless you think that you'll get every bit of that $1200 back simply by repairing them, it's usually not worth it unless you get lucky with a buyer willing. I personally wouldn't myself, but it really depends on the market in my eyes. Or, do the repairs yourself over time as your project, which would really drop the labor cost, and then see what the market is.

If you don't feel like you'll be able to, I'd say let it go as it is, and use the money you do get elsewhere.

Old 04-18-2016, 07:38 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,798 Likes on 1,320 Posts

I'd replace the knock sensor to give her that good mechanical shape, she just needs some love to bring her back view and pass her off to the next person so you can go after that other lady at the end of the bar who's caught your eye.

Old 04-19-2016, 11:48 PM
Veteran Member
Received 475 Likes on 311 Posts

Replace the knock sensor, it has to pass smog. Save the rest of your money for your XKR.

Old 04-20-2016, 03:48 PM
Veteran Member
Received 918 Likes on 561 Posts

Originally Posted by EastCoastYost
'01 XJR just hit 120k miles.
She is in okay shape (good mechanicals, but some cosmetics (rear bumper scratched up, rock chips, drivers seat warn, some scratches in paint, sun roof panels disconnected, head liner displays the lovely liner savers).

She needs a knock sensor. My plan was she was going to be my project car. Work has been good, but I don't really have time to do that level of project myself. The other side of work being good is I think an X150 XKR has caught my eye and is feasible.

My question on thoughts are, is it worth paying to have her fixed up and then sell her, or just try and sell her as is? Repair is about 1,200$ at my local Indy.
It'd be fun if you would drive it up to Grand Rapids, MI. But I think I don't really need it lol. I can buy a new car, but I like saving my cash. Plus I broke up with my boyfriend Saturday so the distraction is helpful.

Your car is most likely going to be passed by most buyers as they don't want a project let alone one with over 100k (not that it really matters in a maintained car), and those of us who do, we don't want to pay very much. Since you mention the other issues, I'd say sell as is, sell for less, and go have fun in an X150. To be honest, I bought my car in a little better condition but still had the issues with a few rock chips, sagging headliner, noisy sunroof, seats needing some dye (excellent shape just needed a little dye), but it had 83k miles and was $4100. I'd realistically say you should be able to get $3k for it, maybe more, but the knock sensor may deter people and you'll have to sell for less.

Nice on the X150! They're fun, aluminum (I much prefer aluminum oxide than iron oxide...), and pretty darn reliable cars. They have tiny issues, but they really are solid cars and the XKRs are fast in any year, 4.2 or 5.0L SC.